John Prine - dead at 73

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Tony65x55, Apr 7, 2020.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Rest In Power Mr. Prine.

5. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    He was (and is) such an icon in the songwriting community. And a kind man by all accounts I've heard. RIP

benjwri likes this.
  6. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    seems like mere months ago that he played NZ. Rest Easy.

7. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    ****. Sigh Thanks for everything John. Go in peace.

benjwri likes this.
  8. Whoa . . . what a story from The Rolling Stone article . . .
    wrote some songs at 14 years old that ended up on an early LP
    drafted in 1966 . . . but lucked out and was stationed in West Germany . . .
    wrote many songs as a mailman in his hometown of Maywood, IL . . .
    and career took off - what a history . . .
    Songwriters Hall of Fame . . . so much there !

RIP Sir.

benjwri likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I hope he's whistling and fishin' in Heaven

10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I don't normally cross-post between here and other forums; in fact, I purposely try to avoid it.
    However, I'm making a special exception this time... I posted this earlier this evening over on the Gretschpages forum. It details my first person-to-person encounter with John Prine:

"This one hits close to home for me for personal reasons.

Back in the mid-late '90's, one of my bands (The Secret Commonwealth) had a residency at a British pub in Nashville. I call it a British pub because it was indeed founded and owned by a middle-aged British expatriate couple, and they ran it like a genuine traditional public house, with authentic cuisine, British style draught pull taps, a couple of dart boards, a rickety old piano in the corner, and yes, a traditional pub time bell ("Time gentleman, please!"). Unlike most so-called "pubs" in the US, this was not a tarted-up sports bar, as the only sports you ever saw on the lone television were football (soccer) and the occasional cricket or rugby match via satellite. Anyway, it was quite a cozy venue, and we played as the house band on the last Saturday of every month for several years.

Unknown to us, John Prine showed up one evening, sitting way in the back of the room. After the first set, I took my leave of the Gents room during our break, and as I walked past his table, I didn't even notice him. Coming back out of the restroom he leaned out from his table and said: "I'm really enjoying your band. What do you call yourselves?" Only then did I realize who was speaking to me. I introduced myself and told him the band's name, and explained that we had been together for about 5 years. He responded: "Well it sounds mighty fine. You don't hear many bands blending Irish and American music around Nashville... it's different! Say, how often do you play here?" I told him, and he smiled and said: "Well, I'll try to get out to see you here again in the future!" I took that as a compliment, but didn't really expect him to follow through on it. As a working musician, you hear stuff like that from time to time and tend to take it with a grain of salt.

I returned to begin the second set, telling a couple of fellow bandmates who, like myself, were fans of his. Thankfully, nobody did anything stupid like calling attention to his presence. In Nashville, that's just not something you do, unless you expect that person to sit in with you on a song or two-- even then, it's usually done with pre-consent. We played our 2nd set, and he discreetly left the pub midway through the 3rd and last set of the evening.

On my way home that evening, I thought to myself about how honored I felt-- that somebody who had entertained me for years with his music and wit-- I had been given the opportunity to return the favor and entertain him for an evening.

To my surprise, John actually DID show up at several of our shows at the pub after that. So he wasn't bu11$h!tting me after all. This was about 2 years before he had his bout with cancer and his subsequent surgery. We didn't see him after that, but we all understood.

So in memory, here's one for Mr. Prine-- in his own words:

"When I die let my ashes float down the Green River, Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam

I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin', Just five miles away from wherever I am"

Rest in peace, John. I'll miss you for sure."

Dana Rudd, wildeman, Henry and 10 others like this.
  12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Beautiful story.
    Thanks for sharing.

wildeman likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sad indeed

14. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  15. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Just seen the news, very sad news indeed.
    RIP

16. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice