Jimi's Impact

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 3, 2018.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Absolutely no offense taken Brother!
    Truth be told, i’ll take the revolutionary sounds of Link Wray over any of these long hairs! ;)

LivingMyDream likes this.
  2. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Electromatic

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I remember getting into Hendrix in the early eighties, not really liking the new romantic and disco sounds of the time. He really was a massive influence to music in only four studio albums, the fourth not even finished in his lifetime. The more I listen to later tracks like Dolly Dagger and Easy Rider the more I realise what music lost. To me he was like a bridge to what went before and what came after.
    I've never liked shredders or hair rock but EVH can play! People I've been more influenced by are anti hero's like Steve Albini and Duane Denison who I see as innovators in their own way. Also I remember seeing The Flaming lips in 96 and Ronald Jones's use of effects stunned me. The thing about all these different players is I can still see echos of Jimi's playing in all of these. His undoubted pioneering of FX pedals, almost noise rock breakdowns and greasy, blusey riffs. He really was the complete player, not to mention his song writing too.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  3. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Gilmour and BB King made me fall in love with music but Jimi blew my mind.

Doc- I agree with you in rebutting the 2nd statement also as EVH brought another dimension and made things new again....a real game changer. Eddie carried the torch for sure.

Jimi had a lot to learn though as he started playing late and died at 27. In my opinion, Stevie Ray, who started as a young kid and played every day for hours on end, really had fine-tuned blues to a new stratosphere. Not that he was more talented, it's just that he got to play longer. Once sober in '87, he started to really kick into the next phase of his career and would have treated us too the amazing if not for his untimely death.

I have to tip my cap though to The Edge and Mark Knopfler to though. Mark's got a special place in my guitar heart and didn't really get the commercial accolade for the amazing talent he is and the range to which he could play.

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Love Mark Knopfler; him and Jerry got me to play guitar. Dire Straits sold 46.5 million albums, I would call that commercial accolade! More than some big names with longer careers like Dylan and Bowie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

NJDevil, Stonepicking and drmilktruck like this.