Jimi's Impact

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 3, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was listening to my local classic rock station this morning. (Which is playing the same stuff that they played 40 years ago when I was in high school.) The host was talking about Jimi Hendrix, saying how he's the most influential guitarist ever. Furthermore, he continued, there have been no major innovations in guitar playing since he died almost 50 years ago. I have more problems with the second statement than the first.

I think the obvious guitarist who had a major impact since Hendrix died is EVH. Not only did he introduce tapping (maybe ripping it off from Jimmie Webster and others) but he opened the door to the idea of the guitarist as a virtuoso, in the same sense as a classical violinist like Paganini. Many guitarists have made good livings mining EVH style playing, not just the shredders in the 80s, but many since.

What do you think?

NJDevil, Flynnski and Rob Williams like this.
  2. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    It's hard to argue with the Hendrix thing. I expect all guitarists borrow from what came before them but he did indeed take the guitar to places it had never been. I also suspect LSD was responsible for part of that. ;) How long was he actually around? 4 or 5 years? Hard to imagine where it could have gone isn't it. As for EVH, I don't think he was remotely the first one to tap but he for sure took it to another level. I was never a big fan of the band as a whole but that boy could play.

Mudshark likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Jimi ruled!
    But part of the legend is the dying young part.
    If he hadn’t died at 27, i think he probably woulda still continued to make great stuff.... for a few years....then he would eventually became lame like most wild artist do. Maybe not as horribly lame a Clapton, but lame nonetheless.

Floo likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There were countless fine guitarists that brought new techniques and approaches to the table before and after Hendrix.
    The ones with the biggest impact to a big public where -besides Van Halen- Malmsteen, Vai and Cobain (as the antithesis to virtuoso-players). Those were the game-changers imho.

Lost Shark likes this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    When "Are you Experienced?" was released, nobody was even remotely in the same ballpark as Jimi. The 1967 charts were dominated by "To Sir With love" by Lulu. It was The Monkees, Beatles and Motown. Peter, Paul and Mary et al.

You could make the argument that without Jimi there would have been no EVH, at least in the form he's known for today.
    Perhaps the virtuoso rapid scale arpeggio players would have emerged, there seems to be little 'soul' in that music and that's what Jimi brought to the table.

If drugs were to blame, how do explain how totally lame The Doors were? OK, that may just be opinion there too :D

NJDevil, Stonepicking, Floo and 5 others like this.
  6. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Yea, the LSD comment was just kind of a tongue-in cheek thing. Sorry.

The Top 40 bands you named (Beatles aside) were what we used to refer to as AM station music. My dial had been permanently turned to FM ahead of Hendrix. And in thinking more about it, Hendrix did have artist and sounds ahead of him he could draw from besides the obvious blues players. Many of the "psychedelic rock" bands were creating a lot of new guitar sounds and techniques. But still Hendrix raised the bar like no one ever. And I couldn't agree more on what I call the technicians - all technique, theory, and speed but no feeling, no soul.

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Jimi changed everything. In the '60s my band went from playing the Mersey sound to Purple Haze and Hey Joe almost overnight. Everyone ran out and changed their Fender Super Reverbs to Marshall stacks as soon as possible. It was boom-time for amp manufacturers, suddenly there was Celestion G12Ms and KT88/KT66 all over the place and feedback went from something to be avoided to something to be actually encouraged!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  8. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I think Jimi's impact was that he brought in a lot of young people that got interested in playing guitar. Young and experienced players were wanting to know how to make that lick. Was it Jimi, his guitar, his amps, etc: ? To me he changed music the way I heard and see it. Wanted to be a guitar player even more. He had problems (don't we all have some) maybe not his type. Maybe GOD just needed a guitar player in his band.

NJDevil and drmilktruck like this.
  9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've got some ideas about his impact to music and guitaring, but I wasn't around to really have an objectively accurate impression. It it seems like each of the Experience's records would have been pretty indescribably mind blowing sonically and musically at the time they came out, they certainly were to me in the mid-late 80s. His impact on me has been huge in inspiring a love of guitar playing, a passion for audio production, and as a gateway to a lot of other music that's been a huge influence on me, as has the mixing of styles and concepts he seems to me to be a fairly strong pioneer of. I think he was going in some pretty cool directions just before he died as well and think it's a pretty big loss that we all didn't get to find out if he would have got old and lame. Not getting to hear Jimi play w/ the Mile Davis band is a travesty and is probably something I'd have to disregard the potential damage to the space time continuum to make happen if I ever found myself w/ access to a time machine.

I think the ones w/ that combination of talent, hard work, ubiquitous style, & raw emotion in their playing are few and far between. I also think he gets shorted as a song writer and lyricist. In short, I like him alot, and think he was a huge game changer for guitar and just for music in general, but he was far from the omega of guitaring IMO...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    drmilktruck likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Never been a huge Jimi fan but I cannot argue with his ability, talent and influence. It helps to remember the "era" he broke big and what music was popular at the time, as Englishman so rightly pointed out. He was, IMHO, a game changer. I like a lot of his music and play some of it today, but he lost me completely when he started smashing and lighting his guitars on fire.

Henry likes this.
  11. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    If Jimi played a Gretsch, he'd still be alive today. True story.

National19 and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    When Hendrix arrived on the scene it was like a tsunami which washed away all before it. He was as important an agent of change in rock as Parker or Coltrane were in Jazz. Music, & especially the role of the electric guitar, was never the same after Hendrix. He let the genie out of the box.

johnny g likes this.
  13. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Jimi was an influence that continues to ripple through music today.

I always thought this was genius advertising.

14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I was a big fan of Jimi Hendrix when he came on the scene, and I do have to say that I think it's unfair to say that an innovator became old and lame. Frankly, it's impossible to stay on top forever, because the public's musical tastes change, while a specific artist's fans tend to want to hear what the artist is known for doing. As for an artist like Eric Clapton, his musical journey was in many ways a finding of himself along the way. In his time, he was considered a guitar god, and yet he never saw himself that way. He had tremendous respect for Hendrix, and knew that he would be the next one to push the envelope. Each guitar great does that, and it opens the door for the next great player to chart new directions off the base that came before.

There are so many "greats" that come along, some are more enduring than others, but what makes them great is how they take what is, and make it into something that is uniquely their own. Jimi Hendrix certainly did that.

Just 2 cents.

spellcaster likes this.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Fair enough. But i didn’t say “old and lame” i just said lame. And in my book Clapton makes pretty lame music. Hendrix made cool music. He changed everything. However, if James Dean hadn’t died after making 3 movies, eventually he woulda started making duds. They all do. That’s all I’m saying.
    Another note, Jeff Beck is still cool. I’m not super keen on what he does all of the time, but as far as yardbird guitar players go, i think he’s the coolest. I don’t know of him ever selling out.

16. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
  17. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be reading Gretsch Talk in the dark.

Or...Chinese adverts to Western Universities

drmilktruck, Tinman46 and thunder58 like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yes by all means Hendrix was great . But have you really listened to Brian May ( I'm sure you have Jim ) His guitar alone is a work of art . Take a good listen to " Death on two legs " or " Lazy on a Sunday Afternoon " and better yet , " Get down make love " ... he's in a class all his own

benjwri, drmilktruck and englishman like this.
  19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    For sure Brian was a way bigger influence on me than Jimi, but Jimi died the day before my 13th birthday so any effect was retrograde.

drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Hey, I'm sorry if that came off as a challenge. I didn't mean any offense.

My only thought was to offer a balancing a viewpoint. I do acknowledge that you are correct that you didn't say "old." That probably came from inside me, likely because I went through the 60's where old and irrelevant were frequently equated - "never trust anyone over 30" was a call from the youth, because we wanted relevance/to be heard. My bad.

I do admit to being a Clapton fan. I also admit that as a pastor it would be natural for me to respect his struggle to overcome the internal struggles in his life. Hey, I'm a big softy. :)

calebaaron666 likes this.