Jim Dandy: anyone put nylon strings on it?

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by The Kid 123, Jan 26, 2019.

1. The Kid 123

The Kid 123 Gretschie

Mar 28, 2013
    Italy
    i am curious, i want to try nylon strings on my jim dandy. Anyone done it? What gauge and what lentgh would you advice?

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Just get some high tension ball ends but i think you will have trouble with the nut slots and tuners, the diameter of nylon strings are much bigger.
    Try Martin silk and steels, they get you in the ballpark and will work fine.

nasonm likes this.
  3. The Kid 123

The Kid 123 Gretschie

Mar 28, 2013
    Italy
    Yeah, i imagined some problems with nut slots ... thanks for the martin tip.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I went the other way, put silk n steels on a old Goya folk guitar and liked it okay but ended up going back to nylons. If you want to get a nylon string guitar a vintage Goya G10 is a great deal, i see them for $150.00 sometimes, i got mine for 35 bux at a thrift store. Made in Sweden. Old Yamaha's are also great, they used to be a yard sale staple.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You can always put nylon strings on a steel string guitar, but not the other way around. They make nylon strings with ball ends, and Martin Silk and Steels would be fine to mellow the sound out.

6. The Kid 123

The Kid 123 Gretschie

Mar 28, 2013
    Italy