Jerry Lee Lewis back home

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Jun 9, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Didn't help his career at the time, and permanently damaged it.

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It sure did. Here we are 50 years on and it’s still an issue for some. Some claim they tried to use the whole story to try and kill the “devils music” Rock n’ Roll.

Lionpotato likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gotta say, it's hard to have a 12 year old daughter and not have a very particular opinion about this.

But his music is awesome.

Merc likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Nothing wrong with opinions. It does seem odd to me everyone mainly blames Jerry. While obviously he plays the major roll, what about her parents? I’m not sure what it was then but the current Louisiana law is:

The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, a person can marry at sixteen. A person who is under sixteen can marry with parental consent and judicial approval.

For me it’s done with and old news, while I understand for others it’s not even after 50 years. Jerry Lee likely could have married or simply slept with one of numerous woman at that point. He chose and married her instead. My intuition tells me that even if wrongly and that he should’ve known better, he was young, dumb and blinded by love. My opinion is that it’s between him and his ___ at this point.

Btw, I’m thinking close to, if not 100% of the members here do not approve of a 23 year old marrying a 13 year old.

5. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I definitely understand how people can have problems with it, naturally neither do I approve of marriage between a 23yo and a 13yo, but you also have to put it into context. It was a different time.

It was 1950s. It was Louisiana. She was allowed to marry. It was his second cousin. It was legal there at the time. Apparantly there was some love because they stuck together for 13 years(?). After putting it into the zeitgeist, I still don't approve, but I understand.

Merc likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It’s the Killer! He recorded some of the best Rock n’ Roll ever made!
    So he married his cousin, so what? In the grand scheme, it doesn’t matter.
    I wouldn’t care if he married his brother, as long as he still recorded Breathless!

Hammerhead and Merc like this.
  7. Perry Bryant

Perry Bryant Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2012
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Glad that Mr. Lewis is on the mend. I had the pleasure of meeting him in the late '60s. We, Al Hartley and the Heartbeats, were booked at a couple of venues at the same time in Atlanta. (The Whisk-A-Go Go and the Domino Lounge). It was an experience, to say the least. His shows were never dull.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice