Japanese Manufacturers

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Joe M, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    As far as I can find out, there are three plants making current Gretsch guitars (not counting Custom Shop models), Dyna Gakki, Fujigen Gakki, and Terada. Is there either of these that is considered "better" than the other? Or maybe a better question is, is a guitar from either of these more desirable than from the others? Inquiring mind(s) want to know....;)

Edit to add: Also, anyone know who the manufacturers were before FMIC came into the picture?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Lionpotato and Charlie westside like this.
  2. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Up until 2012 (I can't talk about all the newer models, the centre block models and all that) most Gretschs came out of the Terada factory. I think JDs were mostly Jets (but not all Jets and again, I have three FMIC Jets and only one is a JD). The neck on the JD has a slightly different profile than the JTs.

I had one JF, a Tennessee Rose G6119TR. It had a wider 1 3/4 inch at the nut neck and the neck to body construction was slightly different than my other Gretschs.

I don't think I have ever seen anything 'official' about preFMIC Gretschs but I believe they came out of the Terada plant. My preFMIC Jet and my Terada Gretschs all have very similar neck profiles.

3. afire

afire Country Gent

That's the big thing I've heard several times. Some have a floating fingerboard extension (the part over the body) and on others, that part is flush to the top. I don't know which factories do it which ways, but that is something to consider if you have a preference.

Bertotti and j.s.c like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I think that noone is estimating the products of either plant to be superior to the others. All three are building guitars to exceptional quality levels (but with little differences in detail).

Bertotti likes this.
  5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    The floating extension version is the closest to vintage specs...

Lionpotato and BorderRadio like this.
  6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    All the ants are pumping out excellent guitars. Terada seems to het a lot of attention though.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The only 2 "Pro-Line" Gretsch I have are from Terada Factory :

A 2008 G6119LH Tennessee Rose from 2008 - post FMIC takeover :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Gretsch G400 from 1991, converted to LH and changed to Nickel hardware by myself - pre-FMIC takeover :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both are great and well-built instruments - followed by the Korean and now Chinese Gretsch too...

A+!

8. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    My 6112 Jr. is absolutely flawless!

9. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies, guys. It seems like maybe I was misunderstood in asking the question by some....I, in no way, was trying to imply that Japanese-made Gretsches, or any guitar made in Japan, was inferior to those made in other countries, including the US. The 3, newly acquired Japanese Gretsches that I have, rival any guitar that I have ever owned, including many CS Fenders and others. Build and playability are superb, bar none. Just trying to get some insight into thoughts of others on this forum about the different manufacturers.

Rock on....

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The floating fingerboard extensions I have seen were on JD (Dyna Gakki) builds.