Jangle Box?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have never had any compressor other than the Jangle Box Byrds version. I got it for a very very good price off of Reverb several years ago. I find it has a definite flavor and I like it but I don't necessarily want that flavor all the time. For those of you that have played a Jangle Box is it capable of more traditional squish is it a case of I just need to learn how to tweak it better? Or will I need a different compressor? Would the Keeley compressor plus be a good addition for the non-jangle box flavor of squish or is it very redundant? With the very limited experience, I have with compressors perhaps they all sound like this and impart the same flavor?

One other question how do you choose when to use a leveling amp vs a compressor? In your home studio or recording I don't know that there is a LA pedal.

Thanks All.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Janglebox (latest version of the original black one) and have owned the original two knob Keeley, Xotic SP Compressor and the Wampler Ego. What exactly are you going for with your compressor? Personally I don't really like the sound of heavy compression so my idea of a good compressor is one that is transparent and works well at a low settings to tighten things up a bit without sounding like a compressor is on. I only own the JB to use with my Rickenbacker 12 string and it does the Byrds thing better than any of those others, as it should. In my opinion outside of that the JB pretty much falls in line with most other compressors that do the traditional 'squished, spanky' thing. It's been a long time since I owned the Keeley but I don't think the two knob version would do anything the JB can't do. The Xotic SP is a very nice compressor and does have a different flavor than the JB (someone correct me if I'm wrong but the SP is based on a Ross whereas JB is modeled after some studio console Roger McGuinn used). The Wampler is also very nice especially because it has a blend knob which lets you blend the compressed and dry signal to your liking.

3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have the Keeley Compressor Plus, and I find it pretty transparent. It can be a light or heavy as you want, as you can blend the dry signal with the wet. A big plus. No trouble recommending it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Your post more thoughts on the issue than I have ever had, though i did engage in a compressor hunt a while ago. Like others, i think a blend or dry/wet levels is a great help to get the exact sound you want, it makes it much easier to control imo. I wound up with an origin cali 76 compact

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Honestly that just slightly there but almost unnoticed squish. The JB is great but I seem to always have the jangle of the jangle box but maybe that is natural. That is what I'm looking for transparent and useful but uncolored. The JB may be capable of that and I ma just over tweaking it. So I don't know if it's me needing to learn to tweak it better or the nature of the box.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I just recommended a Jangle-Box to @Groutsch . ( hope he sees this thread ) I love mine and I really use it for my 12 . I don't know anything about squish but it sure brings out the brightness I like .

Groutsch likes this.
  7. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    McGuinn's 12 string sound was created with two tube Teletronix LA-2A studio compressors in series.

mike fried likes this.
  8. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It's all the same thing, leveling IS compression.

Bertotti, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well after trying compressor pedals for years and now using Mesa Boogie amps I sold my compressor pedals :)
    I only use DAW compressors when recording guitar tracks now.

Scott Fraser is right - compression is just levelling out of the high and lows so you have a more constant volume.
    You see this clearly on recorded wave files as you watch what happens to the wave when you apply the compression effect. Works well on recordings usually to give a more consistent sound.

Used live though I'm not a fan myself.
    The down side is you lose the dynamics and variety in your playing as the soft and loud parts are levelled out.
    This takes a lot of the character and emotional content out imo and makes it harder to adjust on the fly for the need to vary your volume and punch when needed.

I understand when people say the upside is you can use a compressor to accentuate brightness, for example.
    And if your amp won't do that alone fine - use a compressor if that's your only option.
    Also be aware that a good EQ pedal will do the same thing plus lot's more.
    Many amps have limited EQ controls.

My MB amps don't and I can easy dial in any EQ I want and keep the dynamics.
    So that's why I sold the compressor pedals :)

Groutsch, pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmm, I noticed a loss in dynamics at times with the JB but I wanted the serious JB Jangle so I lived with it but that isn't something I want normally so I think I might give up on the search for now. I do have plugins if needed for recording sadly other then to hear how badly I played nothing I record is worth keeping let alone taking any time to do post work on. Yet! Someday I will be worthy! I travel for work and sometimes it takes a couple of us. A friend I work with is an incredible guitar player. He showed me a chord progression to play while he ripped it up. At the end, he said you kept good time and played the chords solidly, that's the first hurdle. So I am making progress! Hey, I have to look at the positives to stay motivated. He also told me I didn't need a compressor pedal.

Hammerhead, Waxhead and T Bone like this.
  11. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    "A friend I work with is an incredible guitar player." Spend more time as the rhythm player, you'll be amazed at how much will rub off on you.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    He got cancer and got full disability but he is doing well. Sadly he lives thousands of miles from me. Way up in Vancouver. He likes to master for people. What kills me and some of the other people that know him is he writes his stuff records it in his studio and saves it. Hundreds of songs and jingles, lots of music and a fair amount of it is really good but he never does anything with it because he doesn't think it is good enough. We keep telling him to get it out there, I suppose that's easier said than done.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I've got a friend like that since high school . Always said Bruce could've gone pro . We were kids and practicing for 2 week for a girls Sweet 16 .. day before Bruce said " we're not ready " Years later Bruce actually started to play for Eddie Money . Seems Eddie Money has bands all over the place while he tours and the band is like a " house band " . Bruce was living in Florida at the time but quit the band ... guess Eddie Money wasn't good enough for him . BTW - Bruce is 60 years old with 4 year old twins . Guess old Bruce will be working for a while ....:D

14. mike fried

mike fried Gretschie

Aug 23, 2011
    Nashville
    Back to the OP's question, I've found the MXR Studio Compressor to be quite transparent, pretty much the anti-JB. It's supposedly based on the Urei 1176 (although less coloration), and it does set up much like one (same ratios, same clockwise-for-faster attack and release controls). It also sports a LED-ladder gain reduction display. I usually set mine up 4:1 with attack at about 10:00 and release at about 2:00, for around 5-7db max gain reduction.

15. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    If you want a really transparent compressor, just for barely noticeable levelling (eg. for finger-picked background playing, or for slightly bringing clean single-note solos to the foreground), an optical compressor works best - try the Mooer yellow comp for an inexpensive one (or the Diamond one for the original the Mooer is based on).
    I've tried all kinds of comps, and depending on the way they work, they all have specific uses where they are best.
    Dynacomp & Ross types are best at real obvious squishing, and enhancing the attack - so use them for funk rhythm, or for country chicken picking.
    A Janglebox (which is basically a Dynacomp with a tweak to it's EQ) is best for - duh - jangle, so use it for classic 12-string tones or other jangl, strummy parts.
    But for subtle levelling you want an optical compressor.

BTW, another great feature of the Mooer & Diamond is the tilt EQ knob.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    pmac11 likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England
    Except for my Ric 12 for which I enjoy squish, I like light compression and the Wampler Ego has the blend kmob which is very good for just adding enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice