JAMES DEAN’s new movie??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TSims1, Nov 6, 2019.

1. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I do and dont like the idea. @Merc made a great point! I have a hard time with these kind of decisions. I'm one of those guys that likes a true vintage tone, but I like solid state!

Merc likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am not a fan (not a big movie person) but if I were I'd be excited about this. I don't think worm-eaten corpses carry about their image. Imo it's no worse, and perhaps better, then replaying some bad old Elvis movie.

I agree its great to introduce new people to JD.

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    But are they really getting introduced to JD or just a facsimile of the real person?
    At least if someone watches an old movie of him they will see him really acting not someone else's interpretation. The real man has no input what so ever so no matter how cool it is it's fake just like a cartoon.

Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It's all Strawberry Fields these days "Nothing is real".

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Only JD can answer that and he's dead. If people like this movie, they will look into his actual work. You would be surprised by how songs, for example, receive renewed exposure because they were sampled in a dance song or in a video game or show or movie. Anywho, it isn't hurting anyone. I'm for letting people enjoy what they want without judgment as long as they are not hurting anyone.

TSims1 likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I agree with you.
    ALSO, if something is truly cool, it’s cool forever.
    If any members of the “new generation” want to investigate what was/is cool, they’ll eventually stumble upon the films of James Dean.
    If they don’t, they won’t.
    Personally, I could give a rat’s butt about the “new generation”.

But let’s be real here,
    This is NOT about paying tribute or keeping a legend alive, it’s about milking a long dead cash cow.

Merc, pmac11, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It's distorting a person's image for the sake of profit - it's all about money.
    It's like waiting for a person to die and then talking bad of them, telling falsehoods and lies and the person isn't around to defend himself. I've never been into rap artists sampling someones musical performance and using it as if it were their property. I say to all those rap artists "play your own damn riff - if you can't you ain't no damn song writer/musician".

8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yep - that's all it is.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Y’all are a TOUGH crowd! All good though. I’m definitely gonna see the movie. Hopefully it’ll be better than “Yesterday”.

Henry, radd and Gretschtim1 like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I think it's awesome from a technology's POV, I'm curious, I feel I want to embrace it. But just like digital amp emulation it's hard to make that emotional connection. Like walking up to a beautiful flower and discovering it has no smell or a bright burning fireplace not emanating heat. It becomes slightly disconcerting, odd even.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Gretschtim1 and new6659 like this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

Like I said above, it's not the concept I have a problem with. I just suspect this is a cheap dry run by an unqualified outfit rather than a first look at a mature technology.

12. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    James Dean was from another time. If I half close my eyes I can almost see it. But it was another time which is now gone. None-the-less, I would dearly love to encounter someone like Lee Remick again even though she is also, sadly, gone.

13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @TSims1 What are your feelings if in 64 years after your death... the industry put out a brand new Tony Sims album that was completely artificial and not based on any unreleased material? Would you approve of them selling it as Tony Sims?

I find it sort of an interesting topic. In art and music it’s sometimes acceptable if it’s marketed or created as ‘in the style of.” But try passing a non original Van Gogh as his actual work and it’s considered flat out forgery. How about the new hologram tours of deceased artists? While not on the same level as this movie. Some enjoy or can tolerate it more because the hologram is done to the original artists music.

I wonder if the James Dean thing would be more acceptable if the family slightly changed either the name, spelling, and a facial feature. Then marketed it as the official acting “in the style of.” I’d view it as still creepy and not my cup of tea. But perhaps some would be more open to it as it clearly would be James Dean.

As technology improves, this type of thing is going to possibly become more common. I can see it being one generations moral question at some point to decide in the future. They’ll be the ones drawing the mainstream lines in the sand of what’s acceptable.

14. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    "You're tearing me apart"

TSims1 and 5120mantis like this.
  15. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    They did similar with Peter Cushing in Rogue One.
    And dea aged Carrie Fisher[she was till alive then]
    And de aged cast memebers of The Irishman. It's Bizarre

pmac11 likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I probably won't see this one but if they came out with a new Severus Snape movie featuring Alan Corpseman, I'm all over that.

pmac11 likes this.
  17. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    One one hand, nothing about Hollywood is real, so this is just a continuation of the trend. On the other hand, it's creepy AF.

Merc likes this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    This is digital cloning.

Merc likes this.
  19. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I am always intrigued by new things like this. I'm an animator and VFX artist by trade, so I find it fascinating. I haven't worked in film much, and it has been a while since I did at all, so I have no real idea how this is being created or how it will actually look. I hope it winds up better than the whole rotoscoping 3D they used on Polar Express and that horrendous Beowulf movie. That was an intriguing idea as well, but execution made it kinda creepy and weird.

I like the fact that people are still trying to come up with new ways to entertain the masses. Not all of them work, but why not try? I love classic movies, and I have TCM on at least 1 TV at all times in my house, but I also think things like the current Marvel movies have a big role to play in entertainment. I can't wait to see some early shots to see how it looks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice