Jade Penguin NGD!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Just-Joshin-Ya, Jan 11, 2019.

1. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I did it on both my Broadway jade and 5122 and it like night and day! What a difference! I got to admit, it was hard to take the drill to two beauty's

2. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Here's a pic. I hated the neck dive and would only play the guitar while sitting, after this simple mod, its great standing!

Attached Files:

3. Far To Many

Far To Many Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    Beautiful. I so dig the vertical Gretsch with wings logo. To me it's one of the best designs through the years.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes but we can't go as far forward toward the headstock because the heel is very short on the BJP.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Jade Penguins are beautiful. Congratulation on your NGD!

BTW, it look like you weren't just joshin us! :D

6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes very wrong! hahahaha

Henry and larryb like this.
  8. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    Nah! Teles are special too! The blonde 79 is my favorite guitar I’ve ever owned m!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertotti and larryb like this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    She is a beautiful blonde....forgive me for staring at her:oops:;)

..and out of all the many guitars I have owned, my Teles are my fav!

Bertotti likes this.
  10. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Lordy that's pretty! I had a black version of one of those that was a bit divey, and with my back- that was a magnified bad thing. About a year ago I stumbled across a B stock Pro Jet (the PUPS got swapped out PDQ). It weighs quite a bit but it does not neck dive, the neck was made for hands as near as I can tell, and it has lovely resonance. Congrats! Image-1.jpg

11. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Electromatic

Is this the one that was bought on here a few weeks ago? If so, that is the one I sold back in September (I think) and it was professionally setup not long before that by Steve Soest. He recommended 11s since it has a Bigsby.

12. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Great guitar, congretschulations!

13. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I did get it here! The more I play it the more the 11’s grow on me, it actually plays really easy for 11’s! Think I’ll try my favorite ( Elixer) strings in 11’s on it! Pretty sure I can combat the neck dive by adding a small strap to the back pin to my belt loop...

14. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Noooooo

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I could never bring myself to put a drill bit to this thing! I’ll find a way to make it work... lol!

Bertotti likes this.
  16. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Congrats on a fine trio of guitars. The 6120, the tele, the doublecut penguin, should be enough.... till the gas starts to buildup again!

17. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I have. 79 Strat as well, the tangerine tele is on the chopping block... the Jade Penguin was going to take the place of one of my current guitars thought about parting with the Strat or the 6120 because my 79 Tele will never leave, the 6120 and Penguin are different enough to keep both, and they’re pretty! Lol

18. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Electromatic

It is an absolutely stunning looking guitar in person with the metallic in the paint and the cool binding. The pictures never do this finish justice.

audept likes this.
  19. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Absolutely.

It would be stupid to start drilling holes in that guitar.

I’m sure you’ll get round it

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I played it at church this morning without any problem with neck dive... the answer... a monster coiled cable... it made quite a difference, my wireless was dead so I used my white coiled cable cause it matched my guitar lol... in most of my straps I have one of the shure or other brand... Velcro cable ties, I plug my guitar in the run the cable to that Velcro strip as a strain relief between the jack and the strap, so if I step on the cable it doesn’t come unplugged or damage the jack. That coupled with the coiled cable kind of creates a stretched spring pulling on the back end of the guitar!!!