Jack plate install ...can I remove these???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gbm6, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:56 AM.

1. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
    before I commit to drilling and screwing - can someone tell me if it’s ok to remove these washer things from the jack??
    They were on the inside of the body/wood, couldn’t get enough thread to pass through to the plate without removing them...

I don’t know what things are called and why they’re there - will I regret removing these brassy and toothy guys?

thanks for any help folks!
    [​IMG]

T Bone, thunder58, radd and 1 other person like this.
  2. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    well they are there to make the jack input not slip and keep turning around and/or coming loose. just put one on the inside.

j.s.c, T Bone and Gbm6 like this.
  3. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
    Thanks gooball jeff!
    Can prolly manage with one

would u face the protruding inner teethy ring hole toward wood or jack?

4. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    They're mostly useful for soft surfaces like wood or plastic. With metal to metal it's been my experience that output jack can be firmly tightened and stay so without one.

Merc and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Those are star lock washers. I'd go with teeth toward the nut. It'll tear the wood up otherwise. The idea is to lock the threads. The woodscrews will hold the jack plate tight. I'd add a drop of Loctite on the threads as well.

Thunder58 is the expert on jack plates, tho.

Jeff67, Merc, T Bone and 2 others like this.
  6. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I usually get rid of one to compensate for the thickness of the plate. The last few guitars I’ve just used an oversized washer for a jack plate (slightly curved with some pliers) and had to remove both for the jack to get through the hole. They still got nice and tight and has given me no problems with loosening

7. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Where’d you get the plate unit from?

Gbm6 likes this.
  8. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    52823381-7EBF-43D8-B442-B8F1F7A76C73.jpeg I ended up replacing my jack with a Switchcraft L11 when I installed a Gibson jack plate on my G5420T. And yes, keep the star washer on there to keep the jack in its place securely.
    Pre-drill the holes in the body before installing the plate screws, and add some wax to the threads of the screws so they go in nice and easy.
    C97AA3AB-62FA-4608-A179-8DBB6CA576FB.jpeg

CaliforniaSlim, thunder58 and radd like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @Gbm6 , so glad you're installing this ;)

Gbm6 likes this.
  10. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Using one of them inside would be good!

Gbm6 likes this.
  11. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
    So, I got up at the crack of dawn today and finished this up.
    Thanks for all the help guys, proud to have installed this myself even though it’s probably the most basic mod.

I returned a star lock washer to the jack thread behind the wood, i predrilled the screw holes with an electric drill, and waxed the screws by drilling them in and out of a block of paraffin wax first.
    I handled the jack the whole time with chopsticks either through the f-hole or the input itself (kinda locks in like the audio jack)

the curve of the plate might not be perfect but it’s pretty close really, and once I tightened everything it looked a lot more agreeable.

I didn’t use any glue or loctite.

Here is the plate I used:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really appreciate all the tips and encouragement guys!
    Thanks

12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If you’re thinking about a square plate for your Hot Rod I’d recommend a genuine OEM Gibson Les Paul plate. They are a few bucks more but... you likely won’t have to replace your jack and will have plenty of threads for everything to fit. At least that’s what happened earlier in the year when installed one on my 09 Anni. The few extra dollars more for the Gibson OEM saved the cost of buying and soldering a new jack. I checked at the store I bought mine at, and they’re actually the same dimensions and thickness as the Player Edition plates. They’re only available in Nickel though.

slickfaster likes this.
  13. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
    Thanks!!

14. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
    Ok...
    Now I’ve decided to make my own pickguard because I’m too impatient to order one - and it’s kinda fun.
    May the heavens have mercy once I decide I’m ready to “get into electronics” o_O !!
    [​IMG]
    this is going to be a gloss black, I considered screen printing the vintage cactus design onto it that Gretsch has used as fretmarkings on what might be known as their western style models?
    But also tempted to just get everything black...

new6659 and audept like this.
  15. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I like what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Keep us posted.

Gbm6 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice