It's Farking Cold Tonight

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    The cold was a bugger, but cars that don't start are much safer than cars that don't stop. Pretty bad out there today. Freezing mist and rain followed by dry light snow and strong winds today.

"Crappy" is how Tim McCoy, maintenance supervisor for the Minnesota Department of Transportation's District 8 office in Willmar, described road conditions.

"There's a lot of ice cover," McCoy said. "And the cold weather and the wind doesn't help."
    Road crews from MnDOT and Kandiyohi County were putting down sand and salt, but the strong wind in rural areas was making it difficult to keep sand on the roads and it's too cold for most chemicals to work.

"Everything is slippery," said Todd Miller, maintenance supervisor for the Kandiyohi County Public Works Department. "The rural areas are the worst," he said. "The winds are starting to blow, so we're fighting that battle too."

At least it is warmer here this week. It's -5 F here now.

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Icy is an understatement today. I drove up yesterday to be in Savage early and good thing the fog was bad but the ice this morning with really bad.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    I left the wife's car in the driveway and delivered everyone where they needed to be today.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Around here, it's been below freezing overnight, then 50F during the day. AKA pothole season!

drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

And it's here. It was nice all day yesterday and at some point the switch flipped and the temp fell precipitously. Went out to walk the dogs last night and nearly went ass over teacups about ten times.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I say 5 people yesterday with ice-related injuries (none serious thankfully.) 2 so far today. I'm sure ERs and UCs are seeing more.

I was watching the news last night and a video showed someone riding a bike. Stupidity that breath-taking is sadly not rare.

new6659 and Alberta_Slim like this.
  7. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    If it weren't for the drivers not clearing their glass, driving with no lights on, riding on worn out tires all while talking on their cell phones, I'd be out riding my bicycle too.

Though I did see a moron out riding a bicycle yesterday too. Pink Mongoose from Wally world with crappy stock tires on it. Stiff winds kept me from riding a dedicated winter bike and this tool was on a death ride.

drmilktruck and Alberta_Slim like this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Driving with obscured windows is against the law. You're supposed to clear ALL of the snow from your vehicle. People have been injured and even killed by ice flying off of cars and trucks. You also need to clear your lights, front and rear.

Saw a guy driving with his head out of the window because all of them were frosted up. Sadly, I've seen this more than once.

While I was scraping off my windows (preheated the truck so it wasn't too bad), the neighbor came out with a kettle of boiling/hot water. It was -15F at the time. He didn't believe me when I warned him not to pour it on his windows. He said that he did it all the time in Tennessee. Tennessee doesn't see -15F too often.

new6659 and 19MGB76 like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The sound of cracking glass is incredible!

10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's a horrible sound made when metal is torn. It's far worse than the sound of glass shattering.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Or the sound of a frozen alpine lake when you're bivouacked on it all night - rumble, sizzle, sheer, crack - all night long.

drmilktruck and Bertotti like this.
  12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta

wabash slim and Bertotti like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That sound of ice making that first long sound when it starts to crack as you step slowly! Now that's a fearsome sound.

14. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Roads have been / are nasty here in eastern MN.

15. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    new6659 likes this.
  16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That crack that goes for a hundred yards sounds really eery.

17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We just had a guy die nearby when he drove his ATV onto a frozen lake. The ice was only 2" thick. Not even safe enough to walk on. People have died trying to rescue dogs that ventured out onto ice. Common sense isn't all that common.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Bertotti likes this.
  19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How bad is your life if you consider sitting out on a 5 gallon bucket in freezing weather while ice fishing fun? Sitting in a shed, drinking beer is a major step up, but still...

new6659 and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice