It's Farking Cold Tonight

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 29, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Currently at my home in suburban Minneapolis it's -25 degrees F. It could hit -30 and maybe break the record of -32 from February 2, 1996. (That night it hit -60 in the appropriately named Embarrass as well as the unofficial record of -76 in Tower.) The current wind chill is - 51, which could exceed the record of -60. The polar vortex (what we used to call a cold snap) will continue until Thursday. Luckily I'm off tomorrow and will hunker down at home with my wife (whose school was cancelled again.) Sadly my son has to work at 7.

However this has revealed the Post Office to be a liar. There will be no deliveries tomorrow. I guess the postal services' unofficial motto "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds," doesn't apply to cold.

Armygirl, Flouswa, Lionpotato and 5 others like this.
  2. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yep, and my (d)numb ass is headin up to Chicago tomorrow morning for couple days work,,, :-/ ,,, for any of you that doubted my penchant for bad decisions.... -:0

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Jim, I get go to work tomorrow, also. being one of the Head Cashiers at Home Depot, I have to go in to open up the store at 5:00am.

Lionpotato and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Anchorage Alaska.... I’m basking in the 32F weather. Thank you for participating in the global climate exchange program.

David_D, pmac11, Lionpotato and 6 others like this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    It is 29 degrees now at 11:30pm....and was in upper 40's today and I am still ready to move back to Florida....starting to hate anything under 60

Lionpotato, TSims1 and drmilktruck like this.
  6. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yikes. It's going to feel like -31 here in suburban Toronto tomorrow, but you've got us beaten. Congratulations: you're colder than Canada!

Lionpotato, drmilktruck and S. Rock like this.
  7. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Thank God! Buck Hill is closed tomorrow. Ski race league is called off. I've done this before, but it just doesn't seem fun anymore.

Lee

drmilktruck and S. Rock like this.
  8. "feels like" for us(Minneapolis/St. Paul) right now(10:45pm)(we're an hour behind you) is about -55*F.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    Hey. I do seasonal recovery at home depot. Day off tomorrow. Have to do some pruning though because I work 2 jobs. Going to be a balmy 10 Celsius here. Haven't seen a snow flake yet this winter and haven't seen temperatures more than a couple degrees below zero.

drmilktruck and S. Rock like this.
  10. Jena

Jena Electromatic

God bless ya'all . . .
    western slopes of Colorado are ok - plenty of snow for the spring melt and spring fishin' rainbow trout though . . .

. . . maybe the 14'ers found by Zepulon Pike under POTUS 3 Jefferson blocked some of the "winter of 2019" great polar vortex ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Lionpotato, drmilktruck and S. Rock like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We're looking at -10 or so tomorrow, 60% humidity, wind chills in the -60 range. Oddly, we're supposed to get into the +50s for the weekend, then back down again. Polar Vortex, global warming, and all that.

Meanwhile, our friends in OZ are going thru a heat wave.

If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes. It'll get worse.

drmilktruck, new6659 and audept like this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Trade you some of our oppressive heat for your chill? I have to sleep with the AC on full-blast in the bedroom every night. Along with the fires in Tasmania and the heatwaves in eastern Australia, we now have massive floods in north-eastern Australia. The planet's gone mad!

13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’ve been thinking about you all in these extreme cold areas. How are you protecting your instruments? Indoor temp variations must be all over the place!

Flouswa likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

My wife thinks I'm insane for even considering going to the office tomorrow. I was just out and it's cold as hell, but I find the hubbub a little confusing, to be honest. If I can get from my door to my car without freezing to death, and it starts (I live in an old downtown neighborhood with no garages, so it's entirely possible that neither of my cars will start at all), then I'm not sure why I wouldn't go about my business as usual.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Me earlier today taking a walk at -15. Flannel lined jeans, fuzzy fleece, Mtn. Hardware down jacket, and the trapper hat I bought in Alaska - kept me mostly warm. My legs were a little chilled even in lined jeans. It’s seriously cold out tonight. Predicting -30 low tomorrow. Yikes!

3080F52B-7781-4FD0-9C03-E4E976A42B68.jpeg

S. Rock, Lionpotato and drmilktruck like this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sounds fine to me. Apparently, someone imported a lot of eucalyptus trees from Oz to California a century ago. Seems that those trees are responsible for the horrendous wildfires we've had out West. Thankfully, they left the dangerous critters Down Under.

drmilktruck and audept like this.
  17. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    We just had our first snow flurry, with less than a quarter inch that didn't settle as it's not cold enough at 37F. Even so, the UK will be shut for a week, with panic buying, train delays, schools closed and no trash collections. Some days I wonder how most of us Brits are even allowed out on our own without a carer.

18. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Let's stay at home and play some hot riffs.

Jockabilly and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  19. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    As further proof I spend to much time on GT, my first thought when I heard on the news last night of the USPS shutting down in a number of states was Tony's missing guitar.:D The last I read it was in Seattle and would now have to cross through those ridiculously cold states to get to balmy Atlanta. If a guitar could scream WTF this would be the one. That thing is definitely going to need a setup if he ever gets it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  20. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I hear you. 17 at the moment and I figure it will bottom out around 14 or so and then there's the wind. Tampa is sounding pretty good again now, but then I remember August. I am surprisingly keeping this in perspective given what the folks up north are having to deal with plus we got none of the predicted snow which is what I really detest. The forecast is 63 next Tuesday which should put you around 66. Hang in there my friend, we can make it through this.;)

drmilktruck and larryb like this.