Join Gretsch-Talk Today

It's a NGD. More, a NJD!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by stiv, Nov 13, 2017.

1. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Finally I got my first Jet, and it's a Club!:D
    I know, it's a cheap one, but still it looks and plays nice.
    I bought it a month ago in a very good deal (around 180 usd... the usual "dad can I start taking electric guitar lessons?" that didn't work out) that I couldn't really pass on.
    When it arrived, I gave her a little try in stock form. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't my sound. So I had this couple of Ceramic Filtertrons (from my '89 Nashville) laying on a drawer and I went straight on the mod path... I wanted to avoid tuning problems (and all the mods that these guitars need to proper play with a Bigsby) so I bought a G taipiece on flebay and gave everything to my guitar man... Last saturday he called me he finished the job, so here's the results.
    New tailpiece, new pickups, new tuners (my guitar tech had these stock Klusons removed from a Les Paul Junior that could give me for cents... I though they were good enough as I love old style tuners). I have her rewired (one volume knob for each pickup so I could mix them like I do in my Nashville, and the pickup selector now it's a mud switch), new pickguard (didn't like the fake pearloid one)
    Well, I gave her a little tryout yesterday at a recording studio and it sounds really good (that means: really like a Gretsch). Somebody told me those ceramic Filters would be better suited for Jet guitars than hollow bodies, and it's damn true. This baby screams. Even too much: I'm used to hollow bodies, this Jet have even too much sustain and clarity for my needs.
    Now that I'm an happy Jet Club owner... let me practice some Blue Caps! (I know I should have used Dynas instead. Maybe next time... ;))
    In full view (sorry for the bad pics, I guess I'm the only one in the whole world who still uses BlackBerry...)
    1_JCfull.jpg
    A body closeup 2_JCbody.jpg

HBob, gtttrrr, JC higgy and 5 others like this.
  2. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Looks great!

stiv likes this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That's a real beauty! Congratulations on your new Jet Club!

5. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Very nice! Great mods.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Synchromatic

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats! Looks ready and willing to rock.

8. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    That looks great! With those mods I'm sure it sounds fantastic. Congrats.

9. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks fellas, I'm glad you like it.
    Youn know, the more I play her the more I'm surprised with the sound. The bridge pckup has that "raspy" voice I don't remember he ever had on my Nashville, and the fact that I could add a touch of neck pickup to smooth it if I want gives it a pretty full sound spectrum. Now I need to work on my pedals though, as most of my settings is suited for single neck pickup's hollow body guitars. Straight into amps it sounds pretty amazing (I tried her in a 15w old Supro for harp and it screamed Poison Ivy, or into a Silverface Twin at bleeding volumes it growled like a blue axe from hell.. on the brilliant channel of an Ac30 was pure Heartbreakers heaven..) but for some reason didn't like that much my Black 65 pedal with my usual setup. Gotta work at it, definitely.

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very nice. I like the wiring setup.

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Very nice looks.
    Congrats on that.

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Looks the business,congrats!

13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I like it. I'm a fan of the ceramics too, i know what that sounds like;)

stiv likes this.
  14. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats, stiv! I also believe ceramics sound better in Jets than hollowbodies.

15. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Tonight at home I played a lot on my Champ and man, those Filters are nasty! I made some A/B comparison with my Dyna equipped Nashville (different guitar, I know) and I found the Filters more touch sensitive than Dynas (which, on the other side, are twang machines). Filters have a very little twang compared to the Dynas even if played lightly, but when you push on the strings boy, they rock the boat.

16. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, playin a ceramic right now! 15106113446101151369136.jpg
    It plays well with the H.S. in front too

stiv likes this.
  17. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

Great looking guitar, sounds like you got it modded just the way you want. Congrats!

18. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yer whammy is on the wrong side!