It must be the romantic in me.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by freddyfingers, Dec 30, 2018.

Hi all. December 31 is my wedding anniversary. Always pick a major holiday for milestones in life. In case you ever forget[ which i havent], the world is already celebrating with you. This year makes it 16 years. I racked my brain to remember what gift is appropriate for 16 years and came up with this , a Vox AC30. What says marry me again like a 70 pound 30 watt tube amp? She started out a year or so ago on a gretsch tenor uke I got her. She learned some chords and we wrote some songs. I moved her up to a blue ridge acoustic tenor guitar. She learned some of those chords, and we wrote some new material. Back in August I got her a Eastwood electric SG type tenor [with Bigsby] in an effort for her to try different sounds and flavors , and to see what she would write next. Unfortunately the only amp I had at the time was my 57 twin reissue. In order to get a little crunch to the amp, it was rather loud and she simply did not care for it. I did not mention the phrase of “ if it’s too loud”. So, anniversary came around, again, someone had this amp for sale locally, in like new condition, he bought two and held this one aside, plus it has a hardshell fitted road case. All for under 475. So I went and got it. So far she strummed a few chords and smiled, time will tell how often it gets used, but she can at least tell folks she has a vox ac30{ she doesn’t know what that means} with travel case. And for those of you that think I am the Ralph Cramden buying my wife a bowling ball for her anniversary so I can use it, think again. She also got 6 months of massage at a local massage place and a few other assorted items. I got a vacuum cleaner.

FWIW, I had a ac15 last year and sold it. It didn’t have the headroom I was looking for. And I am on the fence about my 57 twin, and whether to go amp modeler instead. But since I bought this for her, I am not at liberty to sell it, so it stays. All this for a band that plays 99.99999% acoustic sets. What a romatic! And as time goes by, I can get little effects pedals for certain occasions. A chorus for Easter, maybe a hot distortion for valentines, a delay for Halloween. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. That and at 70 pounds, she can’t lift it and throw it at me.

Attached Files:

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least you could use your wife's amp once in awhile. My wife likes sparkly things like diamonds and her fingers are way smaller than mine.

loudnlousy likes this.
  2. Well, over the year i also got her a Mandola and a mandocello, which as luck would have it, I also like to play.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Only one thing left to do. Screenshot_2018-12-31-01-59-59-1-1.png

4. That would require a lot of gear sell off. Don’t think I have ever seen one for sale under 4500. Maybe that’s 25th anniversary.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Heh. Good advice. We got married on Lennon's birthday. It was supposed to be the 8th (a Saturday) but my wife's dad had built a catapult to compete in the annual pumpkin toss so our wedding was pushed back a day.

6. It’s hard to compete with a catapult.

Flouswa likes this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I know! And I was part of the crew until it started pouring down rain. Then my wife and her stepmother pulled me into the truck and made me stay inside so I didn't catch a cold the day before... catapult glory traded for wedded bliss.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  8. Some say its wise to appease the in-laws. Only time will tell.

9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That, my friend, turned out to be a very well thought out anniversary gift!

Congratulations on your 16 years together, and may you have many more!

10. polara

polara Electromatic

Aug 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    I got my wife and musical parter a theremin once...and she got me (well, granted me, since we share bank accounts) a 6228 in Cadillac green this Christmas.

11. I am currently looking up theremin

12. That is way cool. Forget guitar! I need one of those. What do you plug it into? Does it feed back? will it work through a Vox AC30? SOME START AS LOW AS 99 on Amazon. What does one with the hole for your hand to control volume go for? Off to look!!!!!!!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice