Isn't 'Mojo' weird?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jockabilly, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Little tale to relate in regard of 'Mojo'.

The other day I reached for my 'Pick jar' as the picks in the case with the guitar I am currently playing were a little worse for wear. The 'Pick Jar' is a big jar that has been with me for many years that is full of the hundreds of picks I have picked up during visits to guitar stores. I emptied the jar out to select some picks and discovered an ancient artefact that had somehow gotten in there.

The artefact was a bronze ring, one of a number I got many years ago from an Archaeologist I knew. This item is generally referred to as Celtic Ring Money and is believed to have been a proto-currency a few thousand years ago. I decided that, as it was in my pick jar, I would try it out as a pick. It didn't make an easy pick as the thumb tended to go through the middle of the ring but, with a little mucking around, I got it to a position where I could use it. Man it gave 'awesome' tone. I was starting to think how I could make it work better as a pick and then I though "Try it against an ordinary pick to see if it really is creating a much nicer tone". Picked a few lines then quickly switched to my usual hard plastic picks. Low and behold, in reality, there was little to no difference in the sound.

All that was really happening was that picking with a 2,000+ year old piece of Celtic bronze was playing tricks on my mind thanks to that mystical 'Mojo'. Anyone else got tales of 'Mojo'?

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've only got mojito tales..and most of those aren't pretty!

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Like to see a photo of the " pick jar " . I believe Brian May of Queen uses an English coin ( similar to the US dime )

4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Cool story. We are going to have to call you the "Mystical Mojo Man" Using the power of the "Bronze" to create mesmerizing music influenced by the ancients.

Neil Pert eat your hear out.

5. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I've owned a few mid and late 50's Gretsch and if you believe the lore they should have the "mojo". Either they didn't or I wasn't good enough to feel or hear it since they are all gone now. My only mojo or lack thereof story. I think though with houses it's called haunted.

Jockabilly and Charlie westside like this.
  6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I have an engraved copper pick that my kid sister made for me. Don't really use it. Makes my sound tinny.

Alberta_Slim and Jockabilly like this.
  7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Me too

thunder58 likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How about a picture of the pseudo pick?

I've a small jar full of picks I've picked up off of stage floors over my years of working as a stagehand. Represented are Jerry Garcia, SRV, Gatemouth Brown and many others. For my personal use, any Fender 357 (I think) heavy is fine. I like moto picks as they're easy to find if you drop them. Mostly tho I play with my finger tips as I don't tend to lose them as often.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I once got to supply Jerry with picks for a show at Shoreline. Someone screwed it up conveying the message to me ( they knew i was a fan) as I was told heavy, and he wanted extra heavy. The roadie or whomever called back all upset.

Jockabilly likes this.
  10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sounds like their head guy, Ramrod! He's the reason I never liked working Dead shows. Most of the "name" picks I've found are heavy or extra heavy. A lot of guys get personalized picks just to flick 'em out to the crowd. The printing always seems to rub off easily with any kind of use.

Alberta_Slim, Henry and Jockabilly like this.
  11. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    The jar isn't as wondrous as it might soung. Just a clear plastic jar that someone gave me years ago (originally with candies in) and it's a lot lighter than it used to be as I gave a lot of picks away over the years. Maybe a 150 to 200 picks in there these days ranging from regular and large triangular Tortex (Green, Purple and Yellow) to Dava control picks, Fred Kelly, Fender, Pickboy, Some odd anodised aluminium ones, various coloured pearloid types, Big triangular glow in the dark ones, Big and little stubbies and a host of others. Problem is that most were picked up just so I didn't leave the guitar store without buying something after having enjoyed tinkering with their stock and are not really types that I would use. I really must re-stock with the kinds I use most.

I believe that Brian May used a sixpence coin which is actually a pretty small coin not much larger than a US 1 cent piece. I have tried coins once or twice and even have a bag of about 100 old sixpence coins somewhere but I could never take to them. Too small for my big thumb. I have been toying with the idea of making a giant pick out of an old British 5 shilling coin which is about an inch and a half in diameter and around 3mm thick. It would certainly give my right hand a workout with the weight in it and be easy to keep a grip on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Alberta_Slim and new6659 like this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You've punctured the myth! Congrats. Most of the mystique and allure of various guitar-related stuff is pure crap, driven by psychological factors. We hear what we want to hear, whether it's certain woods are better, or vintage guitars are better than new ones, or whatever. It's harmless as long it just concerns you, but when it's used to sell things at wildly inflated prices or make people feel bad for liking out of fashion things, it's pernicious.

Alberta_Slim, new6659 and Jockabilly like this.
  13. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Can we please see the SRV pick?

14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Now there's a quote to hang on the wall! Perfect!

15. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    The Reverand Wille G. Billy Gibbons and his Mexican coin pick. Known to use a quarter as well.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    I had a guitar with mojo some years back in Vancouver. A friend in my hometown asked if I'd be interested in having a nylon guitar that used to belong to a mutual friend's father, who had passed away. Said he wasn't comfortable keeping it, reasons undisclosed.

Well, I think I found out, because one morning not long after he shipped it to me I got up and went to the man-cave to have a play, and it was sitting against the stand instead of in it. I mean, we're talking the guitar was sitting on the floor with the headstock leaning against the stand with about a millimeter of contact surface - the least breeze would have knocked it over. Thought my wife was playing a practical joke, but she was adamant that she never touched it, and could see it could have fallen over in the middle of the night and woken us all up in shock, and wouldn't do such a thing.

A few days later, exactly the same thing. I put it on eBay and sold it to a guy in Puerto Rico. I'm not a superstitious man, a die-hard rationalist even, but it creeped me out. o_O

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Tony65x55 and Jockabilly like this.
  17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't photo things. It's nothing spectacular---a plain white, smaller triangle.

Lionpotato likes this.
  18. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    A haunted guitar :eek: Afraid I would keep a guitar like that for the hell of it. See if I couldn't persuade the spirit to have a jam session :D

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If it keeps me inspired, it is completely o.k. with me. I am even willing to pay the extra dollar gladly.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice