Is this to crazy?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Bertotti, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have an old entertainment center, big boxy shelf thing old crt tv sat in. Has 7 openings four big enough for 12” speakers one big enough for a small 4x12 or 10 or 2x15. It is MDF nice looking and would only need baffles and back installed. Have I lost my mind thinking about wiring this beast up as a multiple speaker cab? It has two VHS shelves in the middle I could mount a routing panel. I don’t have the speakers currently but it could be a work in progress.

loudnlousy and Charging Charlie like this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Just because it's crazy is no reason not to do it.

pmac11, new6659 and larryb like this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

It doesn't sound crazy. It sounds like it could be a fun project! You'd be creating something that's never been done before - to my knowledge. :)

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What else would you do with it? Sounds like it could be your osn personal "Wall of Sound". Just realize that you'll probably not be taking it to gigs.

new6659, MTurner and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It's the living room wall of sound.... Go for it.

Only challenge popping up to me is having speaker combos that can be wired up to a total load that your amp(s) can handle.

6. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    4 speakers in a series parallel circuit works out to 8 Ohms. There's always a way around these problems.

Bertotti and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  7. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    When you google search John Cippolina you'll realize your idea is not so crazy

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Sure, not insurmountable whatsoever, especially if you're essentially just wiring it as a 4x12 w/ 4 speakers of the same impedance.

It's the odd numbers and/or mixed impedance speakers and/or options for stereo/mono operation that seem more of a pain to figure out.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My plan is not to have all together but four of different voices used individually for tonal variety and I think a 4x10 or 2x15 Wired for bass. Recording/playing variety. Now the 4 individual 12 could be wire together if desired with a patch panel.

10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Just remember to turn the amp off when switching things around. Tube amps especially don't like no load situations.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Probably not crazy. I’m pretty sure almost everyone here has tried to sneak more gear into the living room at one time or another. I’ve got a floor lamp made out of a bass and a TV remote wired up as a Tubescreamer. I’d consider a Ubangi Stomp if it was housed in a ceramic vase with a bundle of sticks.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Where would you put it and how much will you spend, or do you basically have all the parts already?

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    F7534E46-7C91-4D37-924C-CD3CE18ADE04.jpeg
    I have two speakers only. But plan to add as time goes on. I don’t mind it taking a couple years to get right.

Here’s the unit in a dark basement storage. I used my phone with flash on. It is already mine so basically free. I have had it since the Rodney King riots. Bought it in the same lot in Pomona after a bunch of places got destroyed. They brought the store there in a tent and and ran a clearance. I would however probably lay it on its side.

14. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Done that kinda. In 1964 ! We built a 4x8 b7 2 ft deep cab. with 18 12"speakers. We used it fo one show, had to assemble it on stage. We used 2 1000 watts per side Cerwin Vega stereo amps. 4 guys and a drummer. You could hear us 2 blocks away. It was great till we were packing up and I dropped one of the amps down a flight of stairs. Ah, YOUTH

new6659, MTurner and Bertotti like this.
  15. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Ours was 4 feet high!

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This solves one thing I was drawing up for the last two years. A way to have all my little heads available and ready to go through any desired cab and have my pedals available on top if I so choose! I can put all those right on top of this if I lay it over and build different voicings by speaker selection into it. Micro Dark, Joyo Atomic, Night Train, Baby Blondshell and even the JSX Mini will all sit right on top. or a couple in the smaller holes. Plenty of options saving me some build time. I have a 1x12 in the works just for travel to finish this weekend. The plan is, come payday, to buy a speaker for it. This is so I can travel with the little heads particularly the Baby Blondeshell. Tavo says the best match is the Tone Tubby Nashville Alnico so I'm saving for it. Then I can focus on what to load into those various opening. One will be a V-30, I have a 2x12 with the webers silverbell and blue dog so those are ruled out for this. I have two 1230-55 sitting in a box waiting to be used that could go in here but I am debating on if I want two in there, seems one would probably be enough for that sound. That would leave two more openings. Another alnico I think and no clue what else. The big opening would be last, probably 4x10 for a bass speaker set up. I do not have a bass although I have looked nothing yet grabs me so no rush there. I don't know, I was in the basement and saw this sitting there and was thinking, heck I could use this!

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like it. I think it's a great idea.

Makes me regret leaving my 2 Ikea book shelves when I sold my house. They're called Kallax now but mine were bigger, same visual though. 2x 16x 12"speaker, now that would be crazy.

[​IMG]

18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Do it. You need a project for the fall months. If it doesn't work out, dismantling it can be your winter project.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Back in the '50s, there were guys building "Sweet 16" speaker cabs. 16X8" bins put out a large wall of sound. Hammond PR40 cabs had 8X12" Jensens. Speakers back then didn't hold tons of wattage so you had to go with strength in numbers. Our main PA bins in our theater were three 6X15" Altec horns with multicell HF horns, driven with multiple compression drivers.

It can be done, but I'd hate to be the poor schlub that had to move that thing. You could use it to house multiple smaller cabs and heads or combos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice