Is this throwing swine before pearls? Brain question...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by CousinWarsh, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    The group I’m playing with was looking for a crunchy distortion from me. I wasn’t getting it with the pedals I had and we’re pretty low volume so I can’t just turn up (which would be my preference).
    I was looking at grabbing a rat or starting down the rabbit hole of dirt pedals when I remembered a buddy of mine gave me a Boss Metal Zone like 10 years ago. It’s been sitting in the box in my basement since he gave it to me.
    I plugged it in and am getting some cool sounds.
    Do any of you use this pedal? Any advice on settings? I put it before my Brain where my fuzz used to be. It seems to be ok, but any advice, opinions, jokes or urban legends are welcome.

8B6DD35A-DFDC-4E26-8C1C-FDF6B338F2A9.jpeg

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have always liked those, the EQ capability is awesome, they are easily abused though:p

CousinWarsh likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    What amp you rockin?

JParry335 and CousinWarsh like this.
  4. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Dupe post,

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Do you ever use it with the Tube Screamer, or try the Tube Screamer before the Metal pedal? Or is it already what you wanted by itself?

6. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    A tweed deluxe clone.

I’m just trying this for the first time today. I had a fuzz in this spot for a while and it sounded great with the tube screamer. These guys play quiet, so I’m rolling the volume back to not overpower everyone. When I roll the volume back it cleans up the signal.

JParry335 likes this.
  7. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Used to have one and play it live. Keep the distortion level around 9 o’clock - gives me a good crunch and cleans up when I roll back the volume. The EQ is sensitive, nice for me, horrible to some.

I suggest putting it after the Brain.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    How is it as a clean boost? :)

pmac11 likes this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I have an OLD vid of using the Line6 Ubermetal w the brain preamp, it really let the guitar punch through the crunch. Have you done any mods to the Metal Zone yet?

10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Too bad, a deluxe was born to crunch. I’ve started using my brain at unity, no abby, and blasting my deluxe volume at 7. Pretty much the best sound on the planet!

You try cranking the gain on your TS? Or try a BOSS Blues driver? With a very quick slap back, those can get you crunchy.

JParry335 and GlenP like this.
  11. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Haven’t tried clean yet, I’ve been needing crunch. I’ll have to try it out.

No mods it’s bone stock.

You try cranking the gain on your TS? Or try a BOSS Blues driver? With a very quick slap back, those can get you crunchy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a quick turn on the volume knob would solve my dilemma.
    Funny thing, I can crank the gain on the TS and then I need to turn down the amp or guitar.

calebaaron666 and GlenP like this.
  12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Gotta tell those low-volume dudes you play with to turn the heck up if they wanna keep up!
    They want you crunchy or what?!:D

Merc and CousinWarsh like this.
  13. JParry335

JParry335 Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    666 posts!! That aside, I’ve always been a RAT guy, but on the other hand, if the MetalZone works for you......you’re all set!! That’s what it comes down to in the end. If you and your band mates like it then you’re good to go.
    How about a clip? It’d help to hear what you’ve got going. Let us know how it works out!

14. JParry335

JParry335 Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Dig your avatar by the way!!!!

CousinWarsh likes this.
  15. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY

Thanks, a fella has to have dreams. I was looking for an excuse to get a rat but had this laying around. I’m going to mess with it and see how I like it. I figured I’d throw it out there and see what kind of wisdom I could get.

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Transparent:rolleyes:
    It lacks the subtle nuances of the Hyper Metal though.

Ricochet and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    If its good to ya, it's good for ya

CousinWarsh likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Let the naysayers weep! Screenshot_2020-01-22-20-11-33-1.png Screenshot_2020-01-22-20-13-21-1.png FEEL THE HURT B@&#TCHES!

SAguitar, pmac11, CousinWarsh and 4 others like this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    new6659 likes this.
  20. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've mostly seen Metal Zones used as tone shapers outside of specific genres of metal. I wasn't finding a lot of dirty sounds I could take seriously the couple of times I plugged through one in a music store, but viva la difference ;)

The Rat is a a great dirt circuit IMO, my favorite is still the big box Vintage Rat I bought new as my 2nd pedal. Nowadays, I run it as a mildly dirty bite focused boost & it really does the trick w/o going too awfully over the top Rat-ty. Stacks well w/ the Mystery Brain too.

Another favorite Rat adjacent dirt box of mine is the Catalinbread Katzenkonig, it's a Tone Bender II/Rat hybrid that delivers a pretty nice range of dirt. It's a bit more opaque compared to the way I run the Vintage Rat but still enjoyably dynamic.

Outlaw and CousinWarsh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice