Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Is this an adequate caliper/micrometer to measure string gauges?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by ZackyDog, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    I can't believe I read this whole thread. The whole time I've been wondering why you'd need to measure a string

TW4990 likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    When you own so many guitars you can't keep track of string brands and gauges... or perhaps the nut needs work and you want to make sure you have the correct file for the string gauge.

3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I keep a spare pack of strings in every guitar case so I don't forget what strings to use or to bring a spare pack when I leave the house to play. Strings are more affordable in bulk anyway.

benjwri likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Thanks but no thanks. :)

I saw this video:

It seemed a bit too primitive, yet complicated: the user had to manual add up four (4) numbers to get his reading. :D

micrometer.jpg

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Really? I can't believe your stupid, rude and negative comment. :eek: Try reading the forum rules, and refrain from saying crap like that.

6. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    Seriously? I really wasn't trying to be rude. Maybe a little tongue in cheek? Sorry if I offended you.

But, I was also being honest. I did read the whole thread and the whole time I was wondering why you would need to measure a string. I see a couple of folks answered my post without truly being rude and calling my response stupid... So, really if you want to discuss being rude, try doing it without calling my comment stupid. I will admit that you jumping all over me offended me. You obviously read something into my post that I did not intend.

@Ricochet explained why he would need to measure a string. I get that. I tend to keep the pack off of the strings and write the date I installed them and on what guitar. I tend to keep the empty pack in the guitar case, but some of my guitars don't have hard cases, so I will keep the empty pack in my 'guitar toolbox'.

I had forgotten about the days before I figured out to keep the packs... and in fact, used dial calipers to measure a couple of strings! LOL So, I guess I am just an idiot myself? I've been doing it that way for so long, it had completely slipped my mind.

7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The dial vernier is my weapon of choice here. Always works no matter how long it's been in the freezing garage.

[​IMG]

8. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    See Emans' pic above, very different from a micrometer!

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a digital, dog gone it eats up batteries just sitting! I need to find an old reliable dial. Somewhere I do have a micrometer but no beam to mount it in that might be a better less expensive option.

As for remembering strings, I never buy one pack anymore. I buy two, one goes on the other is back up in the case. I will always have two packs unless I am planning on changing strings to a different make or size. I had a couple pacls a few years ago that one of the strings broke out of the pack which prompted me to this route of always buying two packs. Nothing worse then getting to town and finding that they don't carry mine anymore or needing to go back becasue of a broken string on th enext day they are open. 30 miles one way so it isn't a trip I care to do just for a pack of sgtrings when the stores carried them. Now they don't so I have to order them. An even longer wait.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    englishman likes this.
  10. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    I hate feeding batteries to everything too! Love my old dial calipers. It always comes on when I need it to. It's like a revolver... If you pull the trigger, it's gonna go off!

11. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    I just but them on line in bulk. No more thirty mile trips and they last for a year. Cheaper too.

S Mac

Bertotti likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dials are cool, but my battery set (n=2) has yet to go out after 10 years :)

I’ve left it on accidentally for weeks at a time too. Then again, it never freezes in this desert...global warming and all that..

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. mherrcat

mherrcat Electromatic

Thursday
    California
    I didn't read every single post in this thread so not sure anyone has mentioned this; make sure you place the string in the part of the caliper jaws that have the wider surfaces, not the sharp "knife edge" near the tip, or the edge might slip between string windings and give you an incorrect reading.

Re-zeroing before each measurement is also good advice.

Measuring strings on the guitar is kind of difficult using calipers, but can be done. A small micrometer would be easier.

ZackyDog likes this.