Is there really a Rockabilly men's style revival? the FT thinks so...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by rze99, Aug 9, 2018.

1. rze99

rze99 Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England
    https://howtospendit.ft.com/mens-style/203585-menswear-rocks-rockabilly-this-summer

These pics would look so much better with a Gretsch.

Alberta_Slim and EchoTwang like this.
  2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Yeah, we're all wearing £3,000.00 suits this season.

:eek:

3. EchoTwang

EchoTwang Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    :eek: Wow, for the cost of some of these outfits, I could get a Proline, a Victoria amp, a pedalboard full of goodies and still have enough left for an outfit and case of pomade.

Dave-B, larryb, markeebee and 4 others like this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Down here in the South......where this music actually came from........noooobody dresses like that. It’s all cool and I dig it, but it ain’t happenin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    j.s.c, pmac11, Dave-B and 7 others like this.
  5. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    That cat didn't even roll up the bottom of his $800 trousers...
    NEXT!

6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I'm DIGGING that silk suit!

Robbie likes this.
  7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    As Billy Crystal says, “When you look Mahvelous, you feel Mahvelous”.

Silly - I'd wager the majority of folks playing Mr. Dressup don't have a pot or a window to throw it out...

TSims1 likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2018-08-09-15-46-39-1.png Screenshot_2018-08-09-15-47-27-1.png Screenshot_2018-08-09-15-48-44-1.png You can dress Rockabilly for cheap y'all, jeans, white T and some boots.....done. Actually being Rockabilly is a bit harder.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Bertotti and TSims1 like this.
  9. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I think they missed the point somewhere along the way

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

pmac11, Rock Lajoint, T Bone and 2 others like this.
  11. Tracy74

Tracy74 Electromatic

Nov 11, 2017
    Herrin
    [​IMG]

This is what it looks like in Southern Illinois! Me with Skinny Jim of the Number 9 Blacktops- Gretsch sponsored band

The Zombie Guitar Company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What average musician spends that kind of cash on cloths? Those prices are nuts and for me very little there looks good.

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    While I spend $100 annual on pomade, $400 annual on a pompadour monthly barber visit. I've had the same Levis denim jacket and Dickies Eisenhower jacket for eons. ..really dont care about looking like a brooklyn pimp from the eighties :) And Tsims.. it started in the south but it grew up in So Cal, we just squeezed out some of the hillbilly and added some hotrod.
    [​IMG]

TSims1, RomanS, Mr. Lumbergh and 2 others like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Unfortunately, it is: myopic and hypocritical. But has nothing much to do with this, the target market didn't exist in the 50s and 60s.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There is that. Sometimes hindsight is 20/20. Other times, it's wearing blinders or sunglasses. The '50s had a lot of problems---McCarthyism, economy, beginnings of the Civil Rights movement, the onset of Viet Nam. Everything was much more straight laced than it is now. It wasn't all rocking and rolling.

pmac11 likes this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Good point. We all filter the past, to some degree, remembering what we choose to remember and conveniently forgetting the rest. The ‘50s were years of prosperity and low crime, by today’s standards, but they were not idyllic.

I loved the fashions in that piece, but they are inspired by the ‘50s fashions, but certainly not typical of what everyone was wearing at the time. One problem with retrospectives, of any sort, is that they choose on,y the best examples from the past. Yes, some of these clothes look great, but there were lots of fashion misses, too.

My personal fashion is Dickies work pants, Western shirts, Ray Ban Aviators and a Naval flight jacket. It’s a huge fad, but I’m the only one that knows about it. :)

panhead6zero, RomanS, Flouswa and 6 others like this.
  17. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Me too! Add in some Redwing boots and that's my entire wardrobe, give or take a few backless sequined numbers.

The difference is that those are almost seen as premium brands in the UK. Dickies work pants are nearly 70 dollars here. Couldn't believe it when I found them for less than 20 in Walmart over there.

panhead6zero and RomanS like this.
  18. Magic

Magic Electromatic

Dec 4, 2017
    Texas
    To me this is very close to my own style except that i don't spend the high prices ( unless you think that spending $200 on red white and blue 3 tone shoes is abit to much). This is the styles you see in harajuku and the clubs of shibuya's neo rockabilly scene. Influenced from a little shop on cat street that brought a whole new look to neo rockabilly and that 50s high end style ala Elvis in the late 70s to now.

Also first post i been a lurker since 2016.

19. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge