Is there anybody but me that don't like Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by blc45, Nov 15, 2015.

1. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    I have tried and tried to like Les Pauls. I have bought and sold numerous LP's over the years. When I first buy one I like it for a while and after some time it just wears off for some reason. They sound good, play good but I just can't put my finger on a specific reason that I end up taking a dislike to them. I feel like a musical oddball because most people just seem to love them? Am I alone in this or maybe there is some consolation in knowing there may be others that feel the same way?

Gretsch and Fender is dominating my life!

Bobby

nrw_guitar likes this.
  2. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
  3. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    I'm not so very keen. They are heavy, not very comfortable and my love for Gibson humbuckers has seriously waned over the years.

MrAstro and T simmons like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My friend is an LP fan, he likes to keep this one quiet: DSC_0807.JPG DSC_0809.JPG DSC_0761.JPG

5120mantis, Ando, wizard_23 and 2 others like this.
  5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I don't quite dislike them, but never have wanted one either. I had one of them in my hands some ten years ago, that black LP was heavy to play though the owner is a musician. Perhaps he was stronger than me then? But no, never fancied one myself.

6. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    I don't like them either.

Only model I'd give house room to is an R8 or R6 with P90's and a Bigsby.

Anyway, I just bought a fat neck SG with P90's, and getting a Bigsby for it. So that itch has been scratched.

Not interested in the muddy humbucker version of the LP.

M.

7. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I've had four, love the way they look, love the fat necks and low, easy action, but they are just too small after playing Gretsch archtops. Would like a 16''lower bout version!!

8. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I loved my LP with P90's, but much prefer the size of my ES 135....and I do think Gibson's 57 Classics are amazing!!!

T simmons and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm sure you meant to write "doesn't".. :)

You'll find this hard to believe, but I'm a kind of a contrary sort. Les Pauls became ubiquitous in rock music and that kinda put me off them. Well, until 1983 when my sainted mother was visiting me from the UK in Austin, Texas. She wanted to buy me a birthday present so we headed to the music store. This 1979 "The Paul" is a plain jane bare bones budget model, but it's always played so well and doesn't sound as muddy as it's gilded brethren for some reason. I even managed to not sell it when I was homeless for a period. It has a permanent home here.

Pic from five years (and sixty pounds) ago.

[​IMG]

10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Outgrew them myself . Always wanted one when I was younger . After all , Jimmy Page had one in '74 when I was 16 . I bought a Les Paul Custom in '87 when my mother died . Sort of a " you only live once " sort of thing . Beautiful guitar , ebony black w/ gold hardware . Man it was pretty . Move forward 10 years to a divorce and sold it . Believe it or not , I sold it for $50 less than what I paid for it . ( bought it for $950 , sold at $900 ) Never really played it so it was in mint shape . Real " case " kept . Then I saw Neil Young for my 50th birthday in '08 . Neil has one , I need one .....but it was an Epiphone . The year before that I bought my first Gretsch , a 5120 . Around 2010 , sold the Epiphone , bought a 6120 and never looked back .
    Would I buy another Les Paul ? .....Sure ....but now they call them " Jets "

11. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    I played a LP Deluxe for years - my main axe. They're still beautiful to look at, and some of my favorite music was recorded with them, but I'm a committee hollow body Gretsch guy now.

12. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Ditto. I want to like playing an LP but have never tried one that knocks me out. Same for an SG. It took a couple of years, but I finally found a 335. But I sure played several $3000 dogs before finding it (used).

13. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    I love them. I grew up playing a les paul. This year, I sold my last LP traditional, thought I was over them. I am finding myself wanting it back, very badly.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I've owned about twenty over the years, mostly Gibsons. I only have three now, the best of the herd. Interestingly all are Epis. 1) Wine red flame-top with Vineham '59 HB pickups. 2) Goldtop with Vineham P90s. 3) Greenburst LP 1960 Tribute with '57 Classics.

When I get in a mood for them I really enjoy them although I admit it isn't all that often. Nonetheless, they are beautiful guitars.

Without any Gibson bashing I find it odd that the best of the ones I have owned are all Epiphones.

wildeman likes this.
  15. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    And the best one I have is an Encore/Vintage. Don't know what the wood is, don't know what the pickups are. I paid £30 for it in a junk shop, and for a Les Paul it leaves nothing to be desired.

16. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I had a wine red Deluxe LP. Lost it in the divorce process. Yes I'm still a little bitter about that.
    I've had a Hagstrom version LP since but the neck was incredibly, uncomfortably, skinny. It did have the smoothest vibrato I've encountered.
    These days I'd be more interested in a Jet. I know a jet is apples and oranges different than an LP. It's just where my current interests lie.

17. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    I certainly mean no disrespect for Les Paul owners or Gibson. They are fine quality guitars for those that like them. I just have never been able to come to terms with them for some reason. The absolute best sounding playing one I ever owned was a 2011 Tribute Model with P-90's and a 60's neck. I almost hated to see that one go but I hardly ever seemed to want to play it much. I will probably end up buying another one at some point I know and try again. That is after I get a 335 or 345 first!!!!!!

larryb likes this.
  18. DavidLee

DavidLee Synchromatic

Oct 11, 2014
    Des Moines
    I own 5 Les Pauls not to mention many other Gibsons in the stable. Love em! :cool:

19. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Being a Zeppelin fan I had to have one and got one in the early-mid 80's.
    I liked it OK but it didn't play or feel as nice as my Stratocaster so it was my 'second' guitar.
    Last week I took it out of it's case and played it for a while and I was pretty 'meh' about it.
    One thing -- after playing Gretsch vintage skinny frets those LP jumbo's really felt huge!

thunder58 likes this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I will say that " The Paul " was a nice guitar . Always like it myself compared to a " Les Paul ".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice