Is there a way to power this?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by diamoroso, Mar 3, 2019.

  1. Ricochet

    Ricochet Gretschified

    Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Voodoos are like a standard. The problem with establishing a standard is they stop evolving.
    I don't know why the MXR CAE MC-403 never gets a mention. I bought mine for €260

    diamoroso likes this.
  2. markeebee

    markeebee Country Gent

    A 15ohm 3watt resistor will drop 18v to 12v at 400mA.

    5 for a dollar on eBay.

    You could do it without soldering, if you don't have soldering stuff, just twist the wires together.
    diamoroso likes this.
  3. Lizardkinged

    Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

    Oct 5, 2009
    I mean. Does Glock ring a bell? 5 generations in and unless you're an avid shooter and or a huge fanboy; you'd never notice the difference from generation to generation to care... they all go bang!

    Some of the Glock fanboys are worse than Fender and Vox fanboys in the intangible things they perceive about their equipment that only they perceive. Like playing guitar, most of that crap is between the ears.
    Ricochet likes this.
  4. Bertotti

    Bertotti Country Gent

    Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A lot of possibilities have been suggested and your question is basic electronics so just to be safe I will throw this out. Make sure whatever you do that the connection to your TC is wired with the correct polarity.
    diamoroso likes this.
  5. somebodyelseuk

    somebodyelseuk Country Gent

    Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    THE answer is...

    ...find a qualified electrician.
    You already have everything you need, you just need them all cramming in to one box and to be powered from one mains supply.

    I built a rack rig 25+ years back, including a Furman power conditioner/distributor. That supplies 8 mains power outlets via IEC sockets, which was fine for the pre and power amps, but the two fx unit were powered by 'wallwarts'...
    This being pre-interweb, after much searching and headscratching, I spoke to the electrician at the company I worked for.
    He, basically, cracked the adapters open, added a length of mains flex and the appropriate plugs and rehoused the guts in new enclosures. They're still going strong 25 years on.

    When you crack 'em open, your average wallwart is just a cheap transformer, a couple of inches of wire to the prongs and some wire out to the... whatever it'll power.
    The "I'm not paying $70 for a power supply" ones have a good transformer and some resistors and capacitors to minimise noise and keep the power more consistent... but it's not super-technical stuff in there.

    Whther you have a fulltime job or you're a pro' muso, you almost certainly have access to a qualified, on site electrician.
    diamoroso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice