Is there a way to power this?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by diamoroso, Mar 3, 2019.

1. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here with this question. My electrical knowledge is pretty basic, so this is probably a pretty simple question to some of you.

Basically, I have a TC Helicon vocal processor that needs a 12v power supply. My Friedman power bank has 10 9v outputs. In the manual it states that I can use a provided cable to use 2 9v outputs as one 18v, so my first question is whether the 18v connection would power the 12v pedal? If not, is there something I can buy to convert an output or two to 12v? I would like to avoid buying a whole new power bank for the one pedal.

2. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    some pedals can handle higher voltage and some cannot. id do alittle research and see if your helicon can handle 18v. dont just plug it in to find out :), to move 9v up or 12v down would require a transformer and i assume the cost of such a device would run as much as a cheap power supply. maybe someone else knows of an option i dont, as im certianly no expert.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hammerhands and diamoroso like this.
  4. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Collingwood, ON Canada
    Consider a 18V to 12V DC-DC converter:

diamoroso likes this.
  5. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    Buy the correct power supply and plug into your power strip.

Robbie, Bertotti, Tony65x55 and 3 others like this.
  6. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Have you measured your power source's actual DCV? Some are way below what they state. But also look at the Helicon manual and see if it gives an input voltage range... many do.

diamoroso likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm not helpfull but...you paid $$$ for a Friedman power supply and it doesn't even have an 18 or 12V out?!

Lizardkinged and diamoroso like this.
  8. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the replies guys, going to look through everything, lots of good suggestions.

I have the original power supply, I am just hoping to find a way to have everything powered by the same source.

I've been using a 1spot way too long, so these power boxes are new to me. All my guitar pedals are basic 9v, and I thought the vocal processor was 18v, which the Friedman can do. Unfortunately I was too impatient to check first. The power supply is very nice, very quite, so I'm hoping to make it work somehow.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    LOL

Voodoo Labs. Never looked elsewhere and probably won't. I've got 2 Pedal power 2 plus' and an Iso 5.

For the OP I'd get an ISO5, or a PP2+ if you want to piggy-back your friedman to the PP2+ (as it has an outlet on the back for that purpose). If the friedman does I'd just get the ISO5.

10. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
  11. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    It’s an expensive version of what Wildeman linked to.

diamoroso likes this.
  12. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    I guess I figured that, but I don't know how easy that'd be to wire myself. Definitely going to look into that before buying the Supa-Nova, but me being pretty naive on electronics I liked the idea of one being prefabricated for my exact purpose.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Very expensive...the Knacro converter is 1A out, the Schmancy Nova is 550mA

diamoroso likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Jeez I would not pay $70 for a power adapter to accommodate one pedal. And you gotta mount that on the board too.

Look into strymon, Cioks and VooDoo labs, do the research get the right power supply for all your needs, then sell your old power supply. My guess is that you'll be in a similar financial position but have a much easier board to navigate. I love the strymon because it accommodates almost any setup and is expandable.

diamoroso likes this.
  15. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Henry, thank you for mentioning Cioks, I have never heard of them, but they seem to make the only 10 output power supply that will actually power this pedal. The Strymon Zuma 12v only has 375mA, which unfortunately the TC Helicon requires 400mA. Financially, it's probably about even between selling the Friedman to purchase the Cioks or just purchasing the expensive adapter. Gonna think this thru a bit before deciding what to do, I love the Friedman because it's dead quite and my entire rig is now sounding just as I want it. Not sure how much that's the power source though, because I also got the buffer bay.

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  17. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Haha, doesn't take batteries unfortunately.

For most of my life I just played straight into the amp, maybe with a single dirt pedal, so all this is pretty new to me. I thought I had done enough research ahead, but I still missed this detail. My band is playing bigger and bigger gigs, so I've been investing a lot to perfect my live sound both guitar and vocals. I've got it pretty much perfect now, other than being able to power my vocal and guitar pedals on one power supply.

18. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    I second the VooDoo Labs , I own 2 different ones and they are versatile. I also own a couple other Brands that run 12 volt and 18 volt as well.

19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    If you parallel the 2 switchable 12V outlets of the Zuma you will get 750 mA capability

Sid Nitzerglobin, Henry and diamoroso like this.
  20. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    How do you expect our economy to keep on the roll we are on if you try to avoid buying new gear? The onespot pro CS7 and CS12 has 9v/12v isolated outputs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice