IS THE GUITAR SOLO DEAD?

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Charlie westside, Apr 25, 2019.

1. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    My audiences still seem to enjoy them. I do keep them to less than 30 seconds or so though. But then in Alaska, we are about 5 years behind everyone. We are going to get our first...wait for it...Guitar Center here this summer! The two or three music stores we have now struggle. I don't know what marketing research firm told them that this was a good idea but they did! LOL!

Waxhead, Lionpotato and LivingMyDream like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Beaten to death by shoe gazing noodlers?

3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    True dat. I had « Heart of Stone « in mind when I made my comment.

4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Gotta love this reply. I think some of can say the same thing. :D

Lionpotato likes this.
  5. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Maybe only JB. Joe Bonamasa. Some hughley unknown guy I saw called Erick Tessmer. If I have spelled it correctly.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I think that it is nowadays growing to be a bit unpopular. Sad but true ( especially if you are a Guitar-Hero-gaming-nerd. Don`t count me in for that.)
    The structure of a pop-song of today does not command it anymore. Since the formate of today`s hit-records is so much limited to the "3:00 min-max- regime". It is obviously not needed to strike a no.1 hit anymore.
    (I always loved the integrated, essential solo on hit songs like Starship`s "We built this City". Pure genius.)
    In ancient times songs used to have an intro. Nowadays you would expect the main hook or the chorus at first. That`s the formula that works with streaming music.
    It has to do with people pushing the fast forward button. You have to put your idea in front of the song to be witnessed.
    If the guitar-god is still center-stage, people will expect to have lots of guitar-solo content. But that is rarely in the focus of todays music.
    The Ramones did a cool job avoiding the clichè.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Charlie westside likes this.
  7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I agree that the pop formula doesn't allow for much in the way of guitar solos, or drum solos. The solo is a form of "free expression" that doesn't have a place on the formula that is current popular music. As a drummer, I can say that today's music can utilize drum machines, or a drum track added in post-production. It bypasses the live drummer, but it creates a repeatable rhythmic pattern and solos aren't part of that plan.

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It's dormant.........like Godzilla.......

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

If you’re gonna do something, do it well Sir Boals!!!

rcboals likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol! When I was 16 I loved to solo and I loved my solos, cathartic and fun. But I was totally into just jamming and hamming and could keep it up for hours (Grateful Dead and Allmon Brothers my favorite bands - nuff said).

Now, not so much. In a lotta songs I kinda dread it as I feel like I need to have something to say, rather than just a stream of notes. I am a story centric person and music and solos need to tell a story.

So without band, about half the songs have what I call "guitar melodies", i.e. solos that I have crafted a that I think fit into the story of the song. The other half feels like me being told to go up on stage and talk . . . and hope I don't bore people.

I am the lead player in our band, our singer/rhythm guitar player focusing on strumming and open chords. Lately I have much more fun playing interesting chord shapes and accents than solos. And with my solos, I love to use doublestops.

That said, I love listening to the sound of Jerry Garcia's guitar voice. To me his solos tell a story and are emotive. And that's what music is all about. Communication and emotion.

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol my previous post was like a meandering guitar solo. Lawyers!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Guitar solos aren't dead just a lot of the guys who played the best ones.

Robbie, rcboals and Lionpotato like this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah that rag has been dead for years.

14. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    It was real good meandering

Henry likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Anyone remember David Jenkins of Pablo Cruise? You don’t hear solos like that anymore.

You may be right.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hey thanks for the tip :)
    gotta luv a lady with an SG who can play it great also.

She's excellent but I wonder if her band are making any money?

Merc likes this.
  17. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I remember. Wow, that was a long while back. David Jenkins. Great music. Had forgotten about Pablo Cruise. Love will find a way. What you gonna do.

18. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Seems like there are some good guitar players in the old world nowadays:
    Joachim Svensmark (Thorbjorn Risager and the Black Tornado from Denmark)
    Aynsley Lister (UK)
    Charlie Fabert (Rosedale from France)
    They all can play long solos, which is fine for me every now and then at a concert, but they also are able of doing super-solid rhythm work, tastful fills and they really step back for other's solos. All of them are friendly people, I've talked to them after their gigs. There is a market for good guitar-based Blues/Rock music and for guitar solos.

NJDevil and Charlie westside like this.
  19. brownie

brownie Synchromatic

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Music, in general nowadays, is pretty limp, but, hopefully, guitars and groups will be back where they belong; at the top of the charts.

Lionpotato likes this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well nobody told Pearl Jam that guitar solos are dead as you can see in this concert in Boston last year :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice