Is the Duo Jet a "sleeper" guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Jan 13, 2020.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Most of us know the hot rod slang "sleeper" a car that someone doesn't consider, but will blow doors off anything else.
    I know Gretsch heads love the Jet and it has gotten more visble lately, but you hardly see big name rockers using them as their main guitar. It's no secret they are amazing.
    More Jets damn it!

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I love Jets. I honestly generally prefer them to the big hollows.

3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm the same way..
    I've had 3 shoulder debridements and sometimes it's hard slinging an arm over a big hollow body
    Like the upper fret access too!

4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I like how you get all the Gretsch goodness, but in a more immediate attack and without the expansion of the lower mids(which I fully understand is likely what hollow lovers love about them!). At heart, I’m a plank guy.

5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    If the Duo Jet is good enough for the lead guitarist of The Godfathers, it might be also for you ;)

PS: When I saw them live last year, they even used a Pro Jet.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Charlie westside and 5120mantis like this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Jets are great...but I prefer my Gretsches big and hollow....my Jet compromise, is my larger bodied Spectra Sonic:cool:

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    In a way, Gretsch is the 'sleeper' brand, the sonic and aesthetic alternative to the Gibson-Fender ubiquity.

I love Duo Jets, Sparkle Jet, and Firebirds, and for me it's not some LP killer, the original model with Dynasonics is a world away from those type of guitars. Anybody who has seen how a Dyna Jet was made can see it's kind of a mini-hollowbody. As for being not played by 'big name rockers', it simply doesn't bother me. Play what you like!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    It has always surprised me that so few big stars play Jets. Aside from these two, I'm not sure I can name any.

caplp36586-large__04556.1544634439.jpg

ct-video-black-hole-sun-by-soundgarden-20170518~2.jpg

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

It took me a long time to discover that about myself. I fought it because I think 335 style guitars are the most beautiful but over and over it was my Tele, Strat, LP or a Jet that I loved playing the most.

The size, the intimate feel, and of course the tones on the planks are what I keep coming back to.

10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
  11. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I can't think about Jets without seeing Billy Zoom. I don't know if he counts as a big star to a lot of people, but I think he's one of the best.

[​IMG]

12. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Billy is awesome! He seems to be the only one who used a jet constantly.

13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I don't own a humbucker plank, only my Jet. But being the contrarian that I am, if the Jet were the defacto and Les Paul the underdog, I'd probably be all about the Les Paul.

14. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    malyoung.jpg

wildeman, benjwri, T Bone and 11 others like this.
  15. phil66

phil66 Gretschie

Dec 5, 2019
    Indiana
    Played one today. I know what my next guitar is going to be. But lets not let the secret out on these guitars yet... I heard that Gibson already trying to put filtertron pickups on a Les Paul

5120mantis and Tony65x55 like this.
  16. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    JB1.jpg jb2.jpg Jb4.jpg Jeff Beck, because Cliff Gallup, Cliff Gallup because Cliff Gallup, Billy Zoom (again) cause I'm a HUGE fan.

17. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    It is - but I'm feeling that is beginning to change;). I think the ES-Les Paul was an attempt to overcome some of the Les Paul's problems with play-ability and weight but the problem is that it is no longer a "Les Paul" (if you know what I mean). The Jet is its' own thing and, seems to me, perfect at what it does. I'm lucky enough to have 3 Jets (as well as five Les Pauls) and if I was to go onto a stage tonight, I'd be using a Jet (or a G6659:rolleyes:).

18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’s a boo from me if Gibson puts Filter’Trons in.

5120mantis and new6659 like this.
  19. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I agree . And I doubt the Gibson guys would get it if they did (said as a long time Gibson guy).

5120mantis and Merc like this.
  20. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    IMHO, yes they are sleepers. Love the filtertrons on them, but when you hear the Dynasonics, it is another guitar. In any form they are awesome. But this is just my opinion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice