Is Rockabilly Dead?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by montereyjack66, May 5, 2012.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Put this on my headstone.

2. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Viva Las Vegas sells out every year for the last decade plus in Las Vegas with plenty of up n comers as well as classics. I cant wait to see Imelda May and Los Straitjackets. I would like to drive my 54 buick there though instead of my 06' Dodge magnum :)

4. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    Yes gothabilly has been around since the 70's, what I meant to point out was there is a whole new crop of gothabilly bands out on the chitlin circuit. Nothing new, still playing for "Exposure" & 5 free pbr tickets eating white castle in a econoline van.. :cool:

5. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire Gretschie

Dec 16, 2011
    USA
    Haha, yes. I love being offered gigs that don't pay but 'they'll be great exposure for your band.' I'm going to start telling bill collectors i can't pay, but i have great exposure. I hate most promoters, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I dont miss being paid in beer tickets at 2am anymore :)

7. Fallen Saint

Fallen Saint Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    pure horse****e? do ya KNOW what "Debt ceiling means" FFS? Err, WOT IS IT? WHY ARE YA AGAINST IT? EXPLAIN.....

8. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
    My intro to Brian Setzer was with Stray Cats in 1981 and I had a show on college radio in South Carolina and while I recognized their influences, it never seemed to me a nostalgia or dated type of music. It felt to me brand new and original. Unlike every other album I was playing at the time which touted how it was mastered on a TEAC 5000 Super modulating something at Electric Lady Studios in the village, PLAY IT LOUD! ...The first Stray Cats album from England had on the liner notes: Recorded with the cheapest and most inferior instruments and equipment we could afford. I liked that attitude.

9. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire Gretschie

Dec 16, 2011
    USA
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Not sure i follow you there

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  11. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    When Friedrich Nietzsche was asked about the 'Eternal Recurrance' of Rockabilly, he said:

"In an infinite period of time, every possible combination would at some time be attained….This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice