Is Rockabilly Dead?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by montereyjack66, May 5, 2012.

1. Walkin Stiff

Walkin Stiff Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Louisville
    I like to think of rockabilly as the walking dead.
    Check out these guys:
    www.reverbnation.com/nulydedz

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Well said my friend.;)

3. LUCKY13

LUCKY13 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2012
    Guess its our mission to keep it alive... ROCKABILLY will never die!

4. Rockabillybob

Rockabillybob Country Gent

Well said. As long as there are people like Darrel Higham, Paul Pigat, Brian Setzer and the rest of us, who play a little, or a lot of rockabilly music out in public, it never dies. Setzer has a new album coming and rumor is, it can be classified "rockabilly." The recordings of Elvis, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, The Stray Cats and hundreds more, live on. They are discovered by new generations and the rock rolls on.

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I am Rockabilly, I am an Army of One.. hoorah!!

..okay really I'm more like Atomic Ranch o' Bakersfield surf'a'billy w/ a western swing martini olive.

6. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    .....with pinstripes thankUverymuch!!!!

7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  8. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Chess records is where I live

9. polishbroadcast

polishbroadcast Synchromatic

Jun 23, 2010
    Chicago
    This is pretty much my exact thoughts. Rockabilly is just like LARP except they don't take the costumes off. That isn't a jab. All rock and roll is role-play to different extents. You could also extend it to social / work life too but it is beyond the bounds of this discussion. "We all wear masks." :)

As for the music, any music genre is like language: as long as someone is still speaking it, it isn't dead.

10. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Frank zappa used to say his music will never be mainstream because there is no way to dress for it. All musicians look out of place at times. Youve seen it a parent teacher meatings. When the rocker mom and dad walk in. All I can say is wear it with pride

11. spikeskug

spikeskug Gretschie

Jul 23, 2009
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Personally with any genre I don't believe it is truly dead as long as there is at least one band out there who plays that style of music (who aren't doing it for the look lol). :)

12. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Gretschie

Oct 14, 2012
    Coggeshall England
    I have only got into Rockabilly in the last 8 years or so, although I have always enjoyed 50's music. Anyone wanting to ignite or re-ignite their passion for the genre should have a look at the Twinwood festival which is held over 3 or 4 days in August every year. There is a rockabilly stage at the festival which is always packed with dancers.

The festival covers other types of 50's style music as well and is always a sell out every year. One visit to the festival will help you to see that it is far from dead. It is always a sell out, I have been for the past 4 years.

Almost every guitarist at the festival plays a Gretsch of some description. Are there any other forum members that go to this festival?

Imelda May has also brought a modern slant to the music, even my kids listen to her.

Ian

13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    do note.. I dont wear a damn costume, its not something that I decide to change into and out of. I wear dickies because they are affordable and they fit off the rack. I go to the barber every 3 weeks and get my hair neatly cut..
    there are no grey lines, no androgyny of hipster skinny jeans and v-neck tshirts and man-bag purses with bad grooming.

My Dad dressed classic as working man and musician, I dress like this.. its a uniform of no nonsense, clean living.

[​IMG]

14. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    Good to hear from you Darrel.

I've played in all kinds of bands, and taught all kinds of music. I've written and recorded with artists from different genre's. No matter what I play, the only complement I ever hear is, "He's a really good rockabilly player." It tends to come out, no matter what I try to play. So for me, rockabilly will never die. It's where my heart and soul is, no matter what's popular.

15. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    Dead or undead? I have seen an influx of crossover gothabilly bands this past summer while out doing a few gigs in the south.. if anything it's evolving.

16. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Yep I think it's dead and has been for a long time. I think that Stray Cats knew it when they did it, there's an element of pretense in there and there had been since morphed from a rebellion to a mainstream thing.

That isn't to say that it's bad - I love a lot of different rockabilly stuff, and if it sounds good then it sounds good, but it is a rehash (a conscious one) of an old sound for a nostalgic sake. I've found anyway.

I see it just like smashing a guitar on stage - yeah it might be fun to do for some people, and you might get a bit of a thrill, but at the end of it, if you take yourself seriously whilst doing it you look like a pillock. It was shocking and cool when The Who did it to make a point, but half a century later it just isn't.

The music might sound nice and be fun, and you might like the fashion - but the point of Rockabilly is dead, and that's why now, the music will always be.

17. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire Gretschie

Dec 16, 2011
    USA
    Gothabilly's been around a while. My band's been playing it for eight years and we weren't exactly on the cutting edge of it. Lux Interior coined the term back in the 70s. It is spreading more and more, but it's definitely not new.

Maybe rockabilly's not dead and i'm just burned out on it. I've found myself listening to more and more bluegrass, and that's not exactly a new style of music.

18. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    this should put a boot to the head that its simply roots rock music that has always been the undercurrent despite all the dead fish, used needles and general rot that is washing up on the shores in the form of hipster these days.

Imelda May and Darrel Higham both heralded by rock legend Jeff Beck, are the proof of both class, style and substance moving ahead bringing the past along with it. With a polite Irish middle finger in your face to remind you that talent is hard work, skill and grace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUAAn46ji0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NkJwFucnM

19. Walkin Stiff

Walkin Stiff Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Louisville
    If rockabilly is dead, how come I keep getting booked and payed to play it? There is a whole subculture of it at the car shows, tat conventions, etc, etc. It's alive and well for me my friends.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice