Is it me or do I see a working trend in new Gretsch Jet models?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Crooner, Feb 18, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I think Gretsch is trying to expand their customer base, and appeal to a bigger audience. And that's why they (decidedly?) use Gibson- like stop-tail pieces and pickups like the Broadtrons.

new6659 likes this.
  2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    I'm not a traditionalist and, frankly, I admire any company which is forward-thinking yet still builds a product which would be recognisable to buyers 50 years ago. While a 1960 Ford Zodiac might be nice to own, few of us drive 'vintage' cars any more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    new6659, Merc and drmilktruck like this.
  3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm sure if the traditional models were flying off the shelves fast than they could make them, it would be a no brainer to ratchet up production of them and get them out. The Squier models... oops I mean Streamliners, are probably selling well and you see them all over.
    Younger guitarists today didn't grow up in the age of the archtop and having the strings an inch above the body seems odd to them, males a lot of sense to produce models that appeal to that segment rather than the old curmudgeons who would freak out if their garbage day got changed.

4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I just called them to check. My day is 100% not changing. Panic over :D

Tadhg, new6659, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    As long as there is a Vintage Select line,i don't really care what they do with the new stuff,if it keeps the company ticking over ,then have at it i say.:)

I only buy used so it doesn't really bother me,most of the stuff i'm interested in isn't even in production anymore anyway!

s360guitarist, Tadhg, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  6. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I want a bridge on a wooden base, but also a tone switch with Filtertrons instead of a tone pot. Just because. Of course Dynas with a tone pot for the same reason.

new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  7. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Merc likes this.
  8. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
  9. G5220WoW

G5220WoW Electromatic

Yes this.
    Although I am no longer a "young" guitarist, I have been introduced to Gretsch via my new G5220. The humbuckers work for me as I am not really a "rockabilly" sort of player.
    It leads done a path such that I now look at other models and spend time learning about Gretsch's history.
    It looks to me that Fender have done to Gretsch what they had already done to Fender. Produce some affordable good quality guitars out of Asia while keeping the higher cost guitars at home. I think it's a good strategy and one that seems to be working as the shops are now displaying Gretsch's like they never have before. Kudos to Fender/Gretsch.

Tadhg and new6659 like this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The only ones made in the USA are out of the custom shop these days. The higher end prolines are all made in Japan.

new6659, Merc and G5220WoW like this.
  11. G5220WoW

G5220WoW Electromatic

Yes, indeed, my apologies - and I believe they are fabulous guitars.
    If I was running Gretsch, I think I WOULD build some guitars in the US as I believe there is enough loyalty there to support that.
    I was refering to Electormatics and Streamliners mainly but I stand corrected, thx.

12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Of course I support US companies. But having Japanese friends and the quality that comes out from both Japan and Korea.... I’m sort of passed the guitar built in the US thing. Plus a US made Gretsch would likely be out of my price range. I’d rather own one than not. :)

new6659 and G5220WoW like this.
  13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s the same dilemma many manufacturers are facing.

Harley Davidson has contemporary products that resemble motorcycles built many decades ago. They can’t stray too far from that formula, or they’ll lose customers, yet they need some degree of advancement, or they will wither and die. They’ve come out with some innovations which still package well with the looks of a 60-85 year old design.

Guitar manufacturers have a similar dilemma. Current guitars aren’t all that different from guitars sold 60 years ago. Attempts to innovate are usually not all that well received. Last night, I played a 1959 RI through an amp that was based upon a circuit at least that old. The only new thing was the reverb pedal and the Duo-Tron pickups.

If they attempted to modernize guitars with advanced electronics on board, I wouldn’t be interested. I’ve played some modern designs, such as the Parker Fly or some of the pointy Super Strats, which are excellent instruments in their own right, but are just not appealing to me.

I wonder where the market will be in another 50 years.
    Same here. It’s hard to argue with success, and the features you mention are common to the guitars used on a lot of great recordings.

s360guitarist and Merc like this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't know why a low slung top mounted bridge and tailpiece is considered more of a "modern" feature than a floating archtop bridge and end mounted tailpiece anyway. The Gibson iteration is a 75 year old design, and basically sort of mimics the geometry of a flattop acoustic bridge arrangement, which is ancient, while the archtop style mimics the violin family.

15. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I think a harp/Cadillac tailpiece can be a positive feature - it's flashy. Though there's an argument (almost in the religious flaming of the tonewood wars) that you want your strings biting hard into the body - whilst a stop tail isn't as direct to the body as some guitars (i.e. Teles and the like with strings through into ferrules), it's more firmly fixed than a harp or Cadillac tailpiece. That's not a modern versus traditional deal, that's a (supposedly) tone and aesthetics deal.

A floating archtop bridge, however, is definitely a modern versus traditional deal. It's about intonation, it's about confidence in tuning. And if you've got a player who's not experienced with maintaining intonation with a floating bridge (even just little things like changing strings - let alone if you then add in a Bigsby!) or who's particularly fussy about their intonation, then you're losing sales. It's a question of accessibility - having a floating bridge could be considered intimidating. I know for myself, I'd rather have a pinned bridge. I reckon I could get a floating bridge close to right (as close as a fixed intonation bridge will ever be), but practicality and finer intonation tuning favours a fixed bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice