Is it just me????

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by musicman100, Jan 5, 2019.

1. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I forgot to give props to my local shop since we were talking about visiting other cities. Rock City Music in Livonia MI is a great shop. They have a good stock of guitars Gretsch Fender and others and they also have a ton of vinyl. I just bought the Ventures Walk Don't Run original album. Johnny , the manager gave me a tour of their recording studio. It is first class with a vocal sound booth as well. I was able to try the Hot Rod before I bought it.

Charlie westside likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I always prefer to deal with local shops. The old Woodwind/Brasswind was a local shop for me, but got too big for their britches, and then the bubble burst and they got gobbled up by GC/Music123 etc. Where I live now, we've got three music stores---one specialty store (by appointment only), and two smaller ones, one more inclined toward classical/acoustic guitars and lessons. Sweetwater is somewhat local, and Indy has quite a few decent music stores. The biggest problem for small local shops is that the buy-in for major brands is beyond their budgets. Secondly, they can't make deals because they don't move volume. The Internet killed the pawnshop finds long ago.

It's not just guitar shops that are in trouble. Mon and Pop stores all over are closing---and have been for a long time. Small family run groceries started dying out 50 years ago. Big Box stores are killing them all, and Amazon is hurting those,

Charlie westside and new6659 like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    One wonders where it will end. The big winners here are the package services. If something can be delivered by UPS, FedEx or the USPS, then local stores are in competition with online retailers. I don’t have any answers, not even any suggestions, but it is a sad state of affairs.

Flouswa and Charlie westside like this.
  4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I'm with you 100%. The downsizing part us so true. I think I stall sometimes cause i really don't want part with any of it. lol.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  5. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Yeah, My last guitar I purchased on line. I got lucky cause it's a great guitar.

6. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Very cool, I think I'll look into future purchases. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

7. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a pawn shop in my area that has a ‘60s (I wanna say ‘64?) Tennessean that is pretty clean for $2000. Seems like an average price around here. They had it at one location for the longest time and then the same guitar (along with a few others) popped up at their other location. About the nicest guitar I’ve seen at a pawn shop. Like you said, everything else is Jay Turser and squiers.

The shops around me are mostly all over priced or very pretentious. I get looked down on quite a bit when visiting new shops because I’m young.
    There is one shop by me that I love and have became good friends with the owner. He has great prices (though usually mid to lower range guitars) and loves trades. I got a clean old Clipper from him once for $600.

8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Soon enough, once they control enough of the market, Amazon will either start charging for delivery, or start their own delivery company. Tho what with porch pirates, maybe all that'll change as well.
    Dollar stores are expanding like mad as well. You get what you pay for, so...

9. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Well what did you expect? Okies not knowing what price to ask for and give them away half free? I suppose that 1100€ was for a new guitar. You could probably have had it for "the Thomann net price" if you had asked for it, but not much lower. Bringing guitars from Korea or Japan to Finland isn't any cheaper than to UK.

Charlie westside and Jockabilly like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Same boat, don’t live close to big shops. We just got a Riff City but nice pedal selection not the normal shelf after shelf of boss, some nice midline guitars a couple pro Gretsch, lots of victory amps and Chapman guitars but those brands don’t appeal to me. Some Orange as well. It’s nice to see them have some stock since the buy out. But my experience at their place and GC is theybusially do not have what I am looking for a. When in town I will give a look but if I have to order I can just do that from home. I always call local first to see if they have what I want. Riffs inventory tracking is piss poor from my experience so far so if it isn’t there I order online. If GC doesn’t have it at least their system knows where one is and can get it to me quick. I would rather order online from Sweetwater or Zzounds

11. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Poor choice of guitars n expensive beer but what a beautiful country northern Finland is. I had an outstanding time and we spend a weekend with a famous Finnish ice hockey player and his family, it was amazing

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    They need to enforce against porch pirates. Stealing mail is a serious offense, and I’ve been told that stealing UPS, etc. is covered under the same statutes. In larger cities, Amazon has lockers, but they fill up fast and are limited in size.

13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    By utilizing the USPS for deliveries, porch piracy becomes a federal crime. Destroying a mailbox with a baseball bat and so on is the same. The problem arises when people want home delivery, but aren't there to receive it. The Post Office building is only open 8 to 5 so it makes pick-up problematic as well. The real issue is the scum that thinks boxes on someone's porch are their own little surprises.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    According to what I was told by the local Sherrif’s department, even UPS and Fed Ex are protected by the same laws. Even with USPS, the law seems to go only so far. I’ve had US Mail go missing more than once and trashing mail boxes seems to be a sport with some people.

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They already have, many of my packages are delivered by Amazon drivers. They will continue to build out the delivery services focusing on areas where the cost to outsource vs. revenue is the best, taking the most profitable portions form UPS, USPS, FedEx., etc. As far as charging for shipping, they already do - in the price of the product, just as what you buy in the store factors in delivery of the product to the store, employees rent, etc.

I guess weve been lucky. We probably have more than one package delivered a day but have never had anything stolen. Crossing fingers!

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Problem with Amazon is some people believe that because itnisnamazon it will be cheaper and that isn’t always the case. But I do shop a lot from the. I try to buy local but lately it seems I spend more on gas trying to find something and if I can find it with out 100mile day on amazon even if it is a few dollars more it saved me money.

17. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Helsinki is a small city compared to the other European capitals, so you can't expect a large selection there. They don't store a large amount of guitars because of the minimal market, but everything can be ordered if you know what you want. The used guitar market from private sellers is lively enough, but usually no bargains there either.

18. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    It depends on the city. But generally speaking, I think it's true that most guitar shops are disappointing. At least the ones I've visited recently. There's a lot of low and mid level crap, and the good stuff is way overpriced.
    I try to stay out of guitar shops nowadays. I usually end up buying something I really don't need......"Ya know, it's funny. I just went in to buy strings, and.........."

Yeah, we've all been there.