Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Is It Going to Be NGD (New Gretsch Day)???

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by BigDaddyNC, Mar 9, 2018.

1. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    Hey folks, long-time lurker and first-time poster...I've been contemplating for a while adding an Electromatic to my stable -- my first Gretsch. In order to do so, I first needed to sell my Wine Red Epiphone Les Paul (Traditional Pro) which sold last night.

I've narrowed it down to the G5420T and variants, but have also strongly considered the G5422T and its variants. The only locally-available G5422's (and G5622T's) are the green models -- and they are a joy to behold but I just don't want a green one...so I find myself driven to the G5420T's. (I admit that I am not patient enough to wait for delivery from an internet dealer)

Fortunately, there is a larger selection of G5420T's in this neck of the woods. I've played a bunch of them and even though my budget originally screamed "Streamliner", I found that the G2420T and G2622T just didn't respond to my touch or sustain the way the Electromatics do. I also noticed that my fingers didn't "fall into place" as naturally on the Streamliners as they do on the Electromatics -- playing the latter is closer to effortless. The Streamliners, as fine as they are, just aren't as aesthetically pleasing to me as the Electromatics.

So it's getting down to the color: Orange is great and I love seeing the wood grain underneath, but it's not for me. I really like the Fairlane Blue, but wonder if I will remain as enamored of the blue over time. There are also the Black and Snowcrest White models available locally (though not at the same store, dangit), both with gold-colored hardware.

I think it's going to go down to which one speaks to me when next I play them. It will get down to which is the best player in my hands, but all things remaining equally playable I may have to choose between colors. Wish me luck!

Ando, G DynaTron, Trash Kidd and 4 others like this.
  2. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats in advance! The 5420 is an amazing guitar and you can't go wrong with any of those colors.

BigDaddyNC likes this.
  3. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Welcome to Gretsch-Talk. Make sure to follow the main rule here: pics or it didn't happen :D, everybody loves to see pics of a NGD.
    The last paragraph you wrote sums up pretty much what I would have encouraged you to do: go out and play - if there's no obvious difference, you'll have to choose between colours. Orange is classic (although the Electro-orange is different from the well-known 6120-orange), Fairlane Blue is very nice (ask @drmilktruck about blue guitars, he's an expert!) - @Stefan owns one and is very happy with it, although he did some mods to it. Black or white... gold hardware... it all comes down to personal taste, I'm not too keen on gold myself. Anyway, a 5420 is a good choice, and it's closer to the classic Gretsch-tone than any modern age Streamliner is.

BigDaddyNC and Stefan like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome, sounds like you got a clear idea of what you want, you won’t be disappointed!

Since you goofed and didn’t bring the pics (hey it’s ok, you’re new), I’ll provide mine until you get yours :)

5D41B710-6EC2-4C8D-ACA3-E457EB65E169.jpeg EB471A38-24DC-49D8-BA98-0E5C68B72A7A.jpeg

5. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    @Floo, I know what you mean about gold hardware. Initially, the extra "bling" didn't appeal to me either -- that was until I saw one "in the flesh", as it were. The fit and finish on the gold hardware far exceeded my expectations because it has been my experience that gold hardware on sub-$1K guitars can tend to look an "aged, overly-painted tart".

Even more amusing is that my near-15 year-old son who has been playing for a year and half himself was adamant that the white one was the one for me. His tastes are much like my own despite the fact he is very much his own person. Like me, he prefers the color blue, but preferred the black one with the gold until he saw the white one with the gold.

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck and Floo like this.
  6. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    Hey @BorderRadio, I don't have mine...yet. I will be posting a picture when that that time comes!

BTW, those guitars look great -- thanks for posting them.

BorderRadio and Floo like this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Welcome! Hard to go wrong with a 5420. A Fairlane Blue or Aspen Green is a future classic for sure!

BigDaddyNC and Floo like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm only kidding around, and thanks! I was hoping to help your color selection...

BigDaddyNC likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to the Gretsch-talk. Watch your wallet... :)

BigDaddyNC and BorderRadio like this.
  10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    15F6C613-9C82-4334-9C4C-1B89CFDED9DB.jpeg Welcome!
    5420s are awesome!
    I’ve had 3!!!
    Just got my Fairlane Blue one left now & she’s a keeper!

11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I had a Fairlane Blue 5420T. It was the best Electromatic I ever played by a long way!

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

Welcome! The 5420 is a great guitar and a phenomenal value.

@BorderRadio, your pic above has made me fall in love with the first model 5420 in Alpine Green all over again. Fortunately, I still have mine!

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

BigDaddyNC, this is going to be a fun day of finding a great guitar, and hopefully your son can get in on the fun. When I got my 5420, it was the Snow Crest White that caught my eye. At the time, they were hard to find because they weren't staying the stores long. Once I found one in stock, I didn't have to play it long to know it was a great guitar.

BTW, mine is a 2015, and the 5420 has been "improved" with the neo-classic thumbnails, a smaller headstock (neither of those matter that much to me), and a treble bleed on the master volume.

To help you get ready for the day, here's mine:

IMGP9699_zps36767989.jpg IMGP9933_zpsxz37j9r3.jpg

johnny g and Trash Kidd like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You've already waited a day. I'd buy the guitar and color you want. I prefer double cuts myself but whatever floats your boat.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Glad I could help :D
    Aspen Green is what started my Gretsch GAS all over again, back when they first arrived. Neo-Classic color me thinks.

Stefan likes this.
  16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    What he really means is that the white one is the one for him.

:D

17. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!

IMG_1693.jpg

Stefan, BorderRadio, Roger49 and 11 others like this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ahhh, gorgeous....Congrats!

BigDaddyNC likes this.
  19. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    I had to run across town earlier today to pick up my number one bass and my amp and cabinet for the one-off gig that I'm doing Monday night. It was only ten minutes away from the store (which was also on my way home).

I walked in and saw a few hanging way up high, and then I saw a Snowcrest White G5420T on the floor. I picked the white one up and played it. It was nice. Very nice. But I wanted to try the other 5420's. So I had the black one pulled down and the sales guy pulled a Fairlane Blue one fresh out of its box in the back.

For about two hours I must have played those three guitars, eliminating the white one pretty quickly because it didn't feel right. But the choice between the blue and black ones was hard.

I checked to see which one stayed in tune better, which one took a capo better, which one responded better to fingerpicking. I'd put them back and stare at them for a few minutes. I was suffering terribly! Agonizing, I tell you!

Finally, I decided on the black one. I liked the gold hardware better, I liked the way it looked in my hands better, my fingers seemed to fall into the right places (but only slightly better...it was reaaaaaaallly close).

Daddy Likes!

BorderRadio, Floo, JC higgy and 3 others like this.
  20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I'm glad you were letting your hands and ears be the primary guide. I've always thought that the black with gold hardware looked just as good as the white with gold.

Congrats, because you've got yourself a real beauty!

BigDaddyNC likes this.