Is G2655 suitable for jazz ?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Cri75, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Cri75

Cri75 Electromatic

Mar 19, 2020
    Norway
    Hi everyone,
    Some days ago I went to a shop with the idea to check some hollow body or semi-hollow body, I was interested in the Ibanez AF series, but when I saw the Gretsch G2655, I liked it more.
    I spent some time looking for a youtube video where it is used in this way, but only one and not so good video appeared.
    Surfing on the web, I found your forum and so I suppose that here is the right place to ask.
    So the question is if the Broad’Tron™ BT-2S humbucking pickups are ok for the tone that I am looking for.
    I like a very clean tone, not distorted and I would like to learn to play smooth jazz, folk songs (in fingerpicking way) and some simple classical piece and even a quite of blues.
    So I would ask you if this guitar could be suitable for this application?
    I would like to buy it, but I need to understand if it is ok for what I want to play, and now with the Covid19 issue, it is not a good time to go and spend some time in the shop to try it by myself.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Hello and welcome here.

I'm not sure a G2655 would be the right Gretsch model you're looking for.
    Broadtrons are rather fat humbuckers. Of course, it remains pretty versatile but you can get much better.

Here's a video which pretty well demonstrates that versatility:

But if I were to choose between my G2655T and my G3140 for what you wanna play, I'd pick the G3140.

Cpl Gretsch.jpg

Did you consider getting a used one?

wabash slim and Jena like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville!

IMO an experienced player can play pretty much anything on any guitar.
    The guitar people pick up is more about giving a visual indication of what to expect from their playing.
    It’s not enough to play jazz or metal. You have to look like you’re playing jazz or metal too. Of course they are right.:)

The Streamliner looks like a fine guitar for either jazz or metal. Just make sure it’s a good one.

Clean sound. Sure, but that is partly amp and settings.

michelb, Jena, Groutsch and 1 other person like this.
  4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I've got one. Much better than I expected. Very comfortable and ergonomic. If you're looking for a brain surgery clean sound, that may not be your shortest line between two points. With careful tweeking of PUPS and knobs, you might get kinda pretty jazzy, but you also might want to change the neck PUP, or maybe just move on to a different guitar. IF you want crystal clear electric built for jazz but sounds like THE ACTUAL GUITAR in your hands without coloration, I may have your plan B.

5. TheBiggestJerk

TheBiggestJerk Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    The Moon
    Yes absolutely. Mike Stern plays jazz on a Tele, Les Paul played it on some guitar, cant remember the name but it was cool.
    That’s what tone knobs and neck pups are for.

new6659 likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You can play anything on any guitar.
    It's the player, not the instrument.

BFTmarshall likes this.
  7. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Well...it's true some states have laws about this sort of thing. Mostly, they're not enforced unless you're a musician.

8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
  9. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    It would be as good as any other PAF style humbucker guitar.

10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think it would be suitable for jazz. I had a Historic Series G3161 that sounded like a Gibson.

11. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    sit in with my cuz's band from time to time when they need a guitar player in a pinch(dinner theater jazz gig-high end) 2014 Gibson SGJ & Marshall DSl is my rig of choice..anything that has a nice clean functions for me..then a guitar with that much control on the guitar knobs like the Zebra's makes it so easy..we have a blast. I have a 2655 & prefer a more precise guitar in that instance

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice