Is Brian Setzer jaded??? "Really Rockabilly"

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by mczxx, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

You've got your finger on it, Mikey. The "Rules" from these types (I can run a whole list of derogatory names for them, but that sinks to their level) are a real drag for those of us who enjoy playing this music but don't want to commit 100% of our life to "The Look." Carl Perkins though I could play rockabilly well enough to put a song of mine on his personal answering machine; I don't need to hear from some kid that I "just don't get it" because I don't have enough tattoos or sound exactly like Gene Vincent circa 1956.

I love "Really Rockabilly."

unknown fan likes this.
  2. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    I don't know, Mikey. I think it would be harder to stumble upon old rockabilly out of the blue than it would be to see the music videos from BSO or the Stray Cats and use it as a launch pad.

I bet the authenticats did just that and then denounced Setzer, now that they've found something more "pure." Or perhaps now they look back on it and say they just didn't know any better.

I bet the same goes for a lot of psycho bands that get popular, because who would like something popular when you can find a nice niche that you can use to identify yourself?

No matter WHY, I personally don't think it's worth immortalizing (if recording can be considered so) on an album. Too many things change over time. I know (for example) my kids aren't going to get the jokes of Family Guy when they become an age appropriate to watch it because FG isn't referencing THEIR time, they're referencing MINE.

3. Doc Helliday

Doc Helliday Gretschie

Dec 21, 2009
    LA
    Thats exactly what happens in the psychobilly scene. Most people come in listening to Nekromantix or Tiger Army. They then look at what shirts, the "Thank You"s on their album or go google more psychobilly bands and within a year they are trash talking the bands that brought it to them because they have become so "pure" listening to The Sharks and Godless Wicked Creeps. That kinda crap really irks me, but people have to put others down so they can feel better about themselves.

4. funnyorangeguitar

funnyorangeguitar Synchromatic

Jan 6, 2010
    Australia
    amen to that. I always felt Setzer played stuff that made him feel good and he just happened to be able to pay the bills and develop a career with it.

TV's quote

"One more thing to add, Brian doesnt really play rockabilly anymore per say.
    Its there, its part of him and his style and he is carrying it forward but now or I should say since the 90s.. its wrapped in an earlier era its the 40s, its
    swing its jump blues, its rat pack, its film noir, its western.."

..is so true. I feel he has moved onwards and explored newer musical interests. As to Jaded - never, grown up, matured with the right to make genre commentary - yes

unknown fan likes this.
  5. nicko10_5

nicko10_5 Synchromatic

Sep 19, 2009
    Nottingham
  6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    The "new" tattooed bad girls and boys well not so new and not so bad anymore, are all now in their late 30's early 40's. They were and are not genuine Rockabillies they are more like skin heads on rehab.;) :D:D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    how is that a fair statement, its almost like putting a "really rockabilly" judgement stick of your own on guys like me?
    Your statement is saying that I cannot possibly be a rockabilly but rather
    just a thug that needs rehabilitation to some other standard?

I have been performing with a band since
    1979 with a rockabilly trio in 9th grade, taught by my father who raised me
    up in the genre. I was in my late 20s when I decided to start getting tattoos
    and piercings and now in my 40s I might have forgone the piercing stuff but
    I continue to get tattoos because I'm an artist and have nothing to do with
    any form of punk or skinhead mentality.

My last album is making a bit of spare change on itunes and gets some rotation on rockabilly internet, its pure rockabilly music the way I see it.
    My new album is honky-tonk-abilly coming out next month.
    Fully tattoo'd and fully 45yrs old, with a rockabilly pedigree from
    birth as my first baby picture has me with a freakin pompadour :D:D

[​IMG]

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Awww Tavo!! you were precious!! look at those beautiful long lashes & those innocent eyes!! what happened?!?! :D:D:D

I've got nothing to add to the topic, but I have been following it eagerly.. I really must be a rebel to the core, I hate the idea of being shoe-boxed in any manner.. I am me, nothing else, and I'll be whatever the @#%^ I want to be as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

9. HonkyTonkMichael

HonkyTonkMichael Synchromatic

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno
    I have a few friends who are "rockabilly" who grew up in the 50s... And they have full sleeve, pretty much full body tats. They most likely didn't get the tattoos back then, as it was pretty taboo, but now society isn't so hard on people who want to have artwork on their bodies. Shoot-- I work as a professional in a Government office and have full sleeves, no one cares. Some of the older cats give me some ribbing every now and then but I don't mind.

Tavo hit the nail on the head... Tats these days are more about art or being an artist than anything else. Sure, there are skinheads and cholos who are all tatted up, and it has nothing to do with art, but there are a lot of them without tattoos too.

10. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    A quote from my favorite Retro Rebel....
    "There's a lotta things about me you don't know anything about, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand. You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me.
    I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."...................
    >>>
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >:D

>[​IMG][​IMG]

11. mczxx

mczxx Gretschie

Aug 28, 2010
    Chicago
    Man look at that hair! He had the look from birth!

12. mark t

mark t Gretschie

Mar 31, 2010
    Ontario. Canada
    That's a great picture, Tavo!

rcboals, i'm hoping that the winky smile in your post indicates a bit of a joke, because as much as i will acknowledge that a lot of rockabillies are on the skinhead retirement plan, I don't think that such a broad statement is justified.

13. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Tavo, "You are no thug, I know thugs and you are not one.";)

unknown fan likes this.
  14. gigatron

gigatron Country Gent

Oct 9, 2008
    Slovenia
    Now, where have I heard that before?;)

15. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    The Real Rockabilly Rebel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BodXwAYeTfM"]YouTube - Pee-wee's Big Adventure - Tequila[/ame]

16. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009

More proof that the world was in black and white back in those days!

:D

17. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Guys, maybe we are all being too hard on BS. I mean, he has been a successful artist who is now old and grown-up, a family, trapped by his millions and millions of dollars, globally known and an invaluable part of a genre that he did play a part in keeping alive.

The poor guy. Somebody needs to help that poor man!

18. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Thanks Mark, you do get "it". Some however, would not get "it" if "it" came in a box marked "it". I have added two green grins to my wink for those that take my posts to seriously.

19. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I prefered the Pink and Black days

Well, pink and black clothes was the fad
    And oh what a real gone time we had
    When we had, those rockabilly ways
    Way back, in the pink and black days

Well, I remember Elvis played at the B & B
    At Gobler Missouri, so did Jerry Lee and me
    And we had, those rockabilly ways

Yeah, there was a pink and black
    A fin tailed Cadillacs
    Yellow Sun Records from Memphis were Slap Back

And at a drive-in theather in Dexter Mo.
    With Roy Orbison and Eddy Bond we did a show
    And we had, those rockabilly ways

Yeah, there was a pink and black
    A fin tailed Cadillacs
    Yellow Sun Records from Memphis were Slap Back

And at the Casa Loma Ballroom in old St. Lou'
    Gene Vincent and his band wearing caps that were blue
    We had, those rockabilly ways

Narvel Felts a genuine Rockabilly:D

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice