Is anyone else colour-blind?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Uncle Daddy, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd always known my father is red/green colour blind (they both look like shades of sepia to him, as far as I can tell), but until today I'd never really well thought about how that affects him. We were talking about sunsets, and he mentioned that they looked grey to him; his eyes don't see the pink or orange hues. Brake lights on cars are dull, traffic lights are problematic and he can never find a matching tie. He compensates when buying clothes by getting the assistant to pick out only grey or blue colours, and he has the gardener choose the plants. Food looks unappetizing, as his eyes turn green, orange, purple and reds into brown. He can't even see ketchup properly!

Must be like living in a 2-dimensional world.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It sounds more like watching black and white tv.
    I worked with a man years ago who's wife dressed him every morning then for a couple of weeks she had to work away from home. It was supposed to be for a week on week two he started dressing himself. Yes, he showed up at our meetings in a bright Orange sport coat and a Lime green pair of pants. Quite the sight. I'm actually opposite of color-blind my eyes can pick out shades that many others can't see, crazy considering one eye is very bad, at one time 20/2400 in it, now about 20/100 to 20/300 depending on the letter. I have a hard time with depth perception. The bad eye was legally blind for years, I couldn't even read the E. I don't know what it is like to have two good eyes. I assume my body compensated by making my nose super sensitive, which is cool but also sucks because I can smell things others can't smell at all but that has worked out for me in all kinds of situations but sometimes it isn't such a good thing. The doctor gave me some medicine once that took my sense of smell away, Food lost a lot of its flavor I couldn't smell a thing. I stopped the medicine. It was much nicer smelling than not smelling.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm " tone-blind " , I have trouble sometimes telling the tone of a color . I have a black / blue / green deficiency . A very dark blue shirt may look black or dark green to me , all depending on the light . And vice versa

If some of you recall , I think it was @drmilktruck who had posted a new guitar a few weeks back and it was dark blue .... looked black to me and I had posted that too . Yea , even the computer screen can trick me . Years ago I wanted to take the Maryland State Troopers Test . Part of the requirements to be a Trooper was not NOT to be color blind . Knowing I was tone-blind it was suggested to me to take a Farnsworth-Munsell Color Blind Test ( commonly known as the Farnsworth Test ) It's a very advanced color blindness test often given to pilots ( maybe @wabash slim has heard of this being an Air Force guy )

I'm going to post 3 photos of the color blind test we're all familiar with called the " Isahara Color Blind Test " I have no idea if there's an image or number in the photos ....ready .. begin ( somebody help me cheat :D ) Thats a " green smily " face BTW ....

4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg I ain't got a clue if there's an image or number in the circle.....

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    MTurner, new6659, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Here is the Ishihara test. I ace it no problem. I have aced the Farnsworth Munsel test as well but haven't found it online yet. If I do I will post it as well.

Ishihara Test

I didn't find an online version of the Farnsworth Munsell color hue test. In the Marines, I did the test and aced it. They seemed surprised but I think that was because I have issues with one eye.

Something else strange, compared to other people my night vision is better than most other people. I can make out shapes and movement on almost any night except the complete lightless night than with absolutely no light to pull from I can't see but have a knack of still being able to get around.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    thunder58 likes this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Backwards ...
    a circle with some green / red dots
    a circle with some pink / yellow / light green dots
    a circle with some red-ish / green / light green dots
    :p:p:p:p

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I remember one doc saying I did abnormally well. I said yes Sir but there isn't anything normal about me anyway.

Jeff67, blueruins and thunder58 like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yup. I did the Farnsworth/Munsell test. Had to know colors for electronics. Resistors are all color coded. Many small caps as well. Wiring has to be certain colors as well. You don't want a miswired AC cable. It lets the smoke out, makes fireworks, and can make you dance when you don't want to.

10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Im green brown deficient. Dont discriminate well between certain greens and browns.
    Im a painter. Most of my subject matter for the past decade has been structures in the American landscape. Green and brown.
    Bizarre. Ironic.

blueruins likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a half brother who has 6 half siblings. 4 in my side, sharing a father, and 2 in his mother's side. All 3 of the brothers that share his mother are color blind.

12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Don't start me on my eyes...

Too late, too bad. I used to have a short-sighted (2/10, we only have a 10-scale in France) and a normal one. Pretty nice, actually: 1 to read, 1 to see from a distance ;)

After 1-year driving license ban (long-short story, I was caught at the wheel after a friend's bachelor party), I had an exam which I did not prepare and got a obligation to drive with glasses. Then I got me glasses and it was a nightmare: I wasn't use to see in 3-D. I got scared when walking on sidewalks that people would bump me, and even more scared at the wheel as I understood nothing about what's going on. Then I forgot about glasses (only when I drive, because of the mention on the driving license, I got cheap magnifying glass glasses in case I would be checked by the police).

Now growing old, all these are changing and I get quite confused.
    The normal eye is no longer helping as a contingency when I'm at reasonable distance from a computer screen (eg. in a meeting at work) and I have to put my nose on the screen to see something and all colleagues mob me to get glasses. I have to answer the environment (including them) has become so ugly I prefer to stay where I am (always been a nice guy to ladies at work :D ).
    And I still have not fully understood what has become of the short-sighted one...

But no glasses planned within short timeframe, I wait until I get bald. And let the world get fuzzy.

13. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    The Ishihara Test was easy. I'd love to try the Farnsworth Munsell test, so please don't forget to post the link if you find it! ;)

A cousin of mine had a boyfriend for some fifteen years, and he was so colour blind that he saw everything in black and white! He explained that more or less he had learnt to associate certain shades of grey with specific colours, though his opinions weren't reliable at all most of the times. When he told me all this, we were at home watching Charlie Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator', and he said 'I'd say those soldiers' trousers must be red'. We laughed at him, and said that the soldiers would probably be dreesed completely in khahi or the like... But several years afterwards I saw this (jump to 5:55):

I would have never believed it. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I searched and searched but didn't find an easily accessible one. I think there is one out there somewhere but the couple links I thought were good were to companies looking to get some cash or so it seemed.

15. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have that red/green color malady. It afflicts about 10% of males. It doesn't result in not seeing colors. It's more like distinguishing between certain colors is difficult. With me certain shades of red & brown look the same. I also think I see a type of green within some grays, & unless a purple is very vibrant it appears like a deep blue. Other than choosing clothes, it's not much of an issue. Where I really have a problem, though, is with LEDs which change color to indicate signal level or clipping. If it's on it all looks the same to me, I can't tell if it's green or orange. It's too small a sample & I need to see a larger patch of color to identify it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    thunder58 likes this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

Here's a simplified version of the Farnsworth Munsell test. It's 40 shades instead of the full 100. I scored a zero, which is evidently perfect, but it took a little effort.

https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    This is an accurate description of my super power as well. I have found that most of the deficiencies can be mitigated by determined focus and logic. We, the gifted few, are often told at a young age that we are colorblind and set out to fulfill that diagnosis without a fight. I prefer the fight and I win about half the time. I would also add that I easily see small differences in shades of dark blues, reds, browns, and blacks that my TechniColor sighted family cannot.

Scott Fraser and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So much truth in this, I think a lot of people just don't focus to see the more subtle shade, to much work for them and don't care about it.

19. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Also, I would opine that the term colorblind is very inaccurate & misleading. It's a color differentiation deficiency, not a blindness at all.

20. That was a treat! Always puts things in a different light when you can see something in color that was always in black and white ( no offense too our color impaired members). Seeing him in color makes him seem more real.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice