Interesting Gretsch Guitars at Rainbow Guitars

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Synchro, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A long time ago, when there was only the Post Office doing the majority of shipping, I read this joke.
    A man goes into the hardware store and wants to buy an axe, the store has it priced at $20. The man says, I can buy that "mail order" for $16. The shopkeeper says, OK, that will be $18. Man says, what do you mean? Shopkeeper says, $2 for shipping. Man says, OK, forks over the $18. Then the shopkeeper wraps up the axe and puts it on the shelf behind him saying, come back in two days, it will be ready to be delivered. The man coughs up the additional $2.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Typically, he has a number of vintage Fender amps in stock. I saw a vintage Concert amp there today.
    The retail situation we see today didn’t start with Amazon. As you mention, the malls played a role, so did the Big Box stores. Roughly fifty years ago, the malls changed retail, seemingly forever. Now they are quickly becoming obsolete, at least in the US. I remember, back in the ‘70s, someone built a very nice brick building specifically to be a music store, up on 84th Ave. north of Denver. That would be unimaginable today, with empty retail space in abundant supply and music stores closing right and left.

My guess is that retail space prices will remain depressed for some time to come. That may pave the way for lots of second-hand stores, and businesses which deal in smaller purchases, which will be able to operate when rents are low. What retail remains will be stores that deal in items too large to be delivered by package services, and items too inexpensive to be feasibly shipped, appliances at one end of the scale, bubble gum at the other. Music stores will have three choices: a strong online presence such as Rainbow or Wildwood, stores that sell only low-end instruments and dealers that are essentially speculators in vintage instruments but keep a stock of contemporary gear as well. Anyone with brick and mortar presence will have to cultivate a brisk business in SPA (Strings, Picks and Accessories) and customer service, such as string changes and repairs/setups.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    As an accountant friend would say; time and place.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For me, the situation is much more simple : in France, except the rare few basics, still usually no lefties nowhere available on hands... No worry.

A+!

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    At first glance the Corvette looks to be in quite a nice condition. Price is o.k., too.

6. Far To Many

Far To Many Gretschie

Dec 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    I'm not a frequent store buyer. I really don't like the general public of today. Maybe I'm part of the problem of crumbling retail brick and mortar stores? I do buy from alot of businesses however, that also sell online. Mom and pop, just another state away. I find prices at most actual stores ( at least in my state of NY ) to be that of wanting to hit a home run every time. Probably part of it is the rediculous overhead created by our state. I don't mind waiting a few days for things to arrive. I'm busy anyhow with all sorts of things.

I have (and had) many different guitars. I'm always in love with them when I first get them. I expect almost every one to be a different feel of its own. It's the 6 or 9 months down the road that really tells me if they are keepers. And then, sometimes after a few years my tastes change totally. This year I'm into basses, last year it was Gibson Firebirds.

7. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Me and Mama got a deal, I get no new guitars (got down below 200) and she gets no new husband. The problem is I have a bout 6 new guitars hidden and I can'r bring the out and say "Oh, I've had this for years!" I also have lost a few Gretsches I'm tryin to find to sell. Prayers are appreciated.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well I'm sure she can't have more than 2 or 3 new husbands hidden away somewhere.

sh4rkbyt3, Bertotti and Sabato like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Last summer our mom and pop sold out to Riff City Music GC most certainly causes them to tip to that end both with a local store and online sales. Online I think would have eventually finished them off but I’m not 100% convinced of that either. Sadly Riff City pulled out as well just shut the doors one day let the guys go and put a closed sign up. I can honestly say if I have to shop online I won’t support GC or Riff if at all possible. I’ll stick with Sweetwater and Zzounds. Yes I shopped online as well but only when I couldn’t get it local.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice