Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Installing Schaller/Fender straplocks

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dswo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    Just got my first Gretsch, a 2016 model G45420T. I have several straps with Schaller straplocks attached, which I would like to use on this guitar. I've successfully removed the Gretsch strap pin, but the Schaller screw seems too long (and won't go in all the way).

Is it safe to drill both of the strap holes a little deeper? Comparing the two screws and accounting for the felt pad on the Schaller lock, I think an eighth of an inch should do it.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I think you should drill anyway to account for the screw's diameter no?

3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You could just use shorter screws unless you think the gretsch screw length is too short to be secure.

4. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    That worked. Thank you.

The only trick was finding a screw head of the right diameter. (A lot of screws have a slightly larger head that won't fit snugly in the Schaller button's shaft.) I rooted around in my random hardware bin and found a couple that would fit the Schaller hardware and were shorter than the Schaller screws. Before inserting I compared the shank diameter of the new screws with that of the Gretsch screws. The Gretsch screws are a little fatter, so I inserted a single toothpick in the hole. A couple minutes with a screwdriver and everything was secure -- with no drilling.

The Gretsch buttons are pretty, but now I can swap straps with my other guitars.

IMG_1287.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Henry and thunder58 like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

dswo, I haven't swapped out the Gretsch strap holders with the Schallers yet, but I do agree that the better security and ability to swap straps easily is a great reason for doing it. Glad you got it worked out.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ace Hardware still has a section where you can buy hardware bits one piece at a time. They have a wide selection of screws, nuts, bolts, and other assorted pieces of hardware in drawers priced at a few cents per item. Service Supply Co. has all sorts if you need a box of 50or 100. McMaster-Carr has everything hardware related that you could ever think of using and them some..

Having a loose hardware bin at home is a lifesaver.