Input on poor/bad case?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Dynamal, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Dynamal

Dynamal Electromatic

Jun 13, 2015
    norway
    Just recieved my new guitar, the new malcolm young signature model, the guitar is exellent, but the case seems to be of a very poor quality. Should i contact the seller(Thomann) and file a complaint? Should i expect better quality for such an expensive guitar? When the guitar is in the case, the lid dont line up, when i push the top down i can se the body of the guitar lifts up. And there is "big" air bubles under the "skin" of the case that moves around when i push on them. Sorry for my bad english

Attached Files:

2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Your English is fine.

You could give them a call and see what they say...

3. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow!
    That case needs to be returned and is covered under the warranty. I am sure Gretsch will replace it.

Merc and section2 like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Looks like a TKL case to me . I have one for my 12 string .Little leary of at times

5. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I would contend it's the wrong case for the guitar. Seems to me if the body lifts up when you close it, the neck rest is not deep enough and would put undo strain on the neck joint. Yeah, I'd send it back without question.

Your English is better than my Norwegian, Nynorsk, Bokmal, or Saami, so no worries.:D

Tadhg and Merc like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I wouldn’t except the case like that after dropping money on a guitar like that. Give them a chance to make it right and give you a new case. If they don’t, contact Gretsch.

I wouldn’t apologize for speaking a second language. A lot of people don’t even speak their primary language good. You’re writing fine.

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If that case could case as well as you English . . . Yea, ask for a replacement.

8. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I would return it. I almost returned my Gretsch case from Sweetwater. The main latch doesn’t line up correctly, but can be wiggled into place. I decided it would be too much trouble to ship it back, so I live with it. But quality control seems a little lax on these cases.

Flouswa likes this.
  9. Tadhg

Tadhg Electromatic

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Had a very similar incident recently, on the other side of the world. Purchased a case for my G5655TG, they sent a G6241 XL JR box, but it had a G6241 FT inside the box. Basically, the guitar fitted every direction except depth - the case should've been 1.75" deep, but was instead 3.25" deep. So, if I shut the case, the weight on the neck would lift the body off the base of the case. Hardly ideal!
    I'm waiting for a replacement case, I'm currently 10 weeks into the wait... Hoping to have it at the end of the month. It's also a TKL case.

That said, I'd also contact Gretsch/Fender direct to confirm which case you have (the tag inside the case needs to match the case on the outside of the box - it's the long (I think 12 digit?) number under the barcode), and to make sure Thomann had the right one for you guitar.
    I looked at shipping a case over here (Australia) from Thomann (would've been faster than purchasing locally), but they only had the G2655 case, which is a lower standard than the G6241 XL JR case which should be specified for my guitar. And that's a lower spec than the G6251 XL JR case you get with a Broadkaster. Having a G5655TG, I want at least the same spec of case. So maybe check that the case you were sent is appropriate for the level of guitar you have?
    Though I'd suggest those bubbles aren't acceptable at any spec.

10. Dynamal

Dynamal Electromatic

Jun 13, 2015
    norway
    This was the tag on the outside, but cant find any tags on the inside, where should it be?

Attached Files:

11. Tadhg

Tadhg Electromatic

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    My apologies for being unclear - when I received my case, I had a number on the box, and the number on the tag. You've shown the number on the tag. That tag shows 0996410000 - that comes up with a Google search as a G6238. Gretsch.com.au lists it as a "Deluxe Solid Body Hardshell Case, Black" (and a mere A$375 - or 234 Euro), with "Lower bout interior width: 13.75" Upper bout interior width: 11.25" Interior depth: 2.5" Overall interior length : 40.75" ."
    Do you still have the box? It would be useful for returning the case. If you can find it, does the number on the box match the number on the swing tag (in the photo)?

So, that sounds like it's probably not far off the correct case, but I'd certainly be looking for a replacement under warranty for the bubbles.

But before that, I'd also suggest contacting Fender/Gretsch direct (the US office is excellent) to confirm it's the right case. They'll get back to you fairly quickly. They don't want your awesome new guitar to be anything but the best possible experience.

12. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Yeah the last two cases I got were the same. Seems like it’s becoming a common thing with Gretsch.

RG7X likes this.
  13. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I have a TKL case for my Streamliner, a genuine Gretsch case for my 12 that I'm 99% certain is a TKL, and ditto for an Epi Sheraton II. I have no concerns or issues with any of them.

Lockupyourfatdog and thunder58 like this.
  14. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Same experience. One of mine was peeling the day I took it out of the box and this was with a brand new guitar.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That's unacceptable, but fear not. Just contact Thomann customer support and explain. Stay calm and they will make things right for you(so far they always have with me).

16. Dynamal

Dynamal Electromatic

Jun 13, 2015
    norway
    Thanks for all answers! Thomann will order a new one for me, hope it will be better!

Ricochet likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That is good news. I hope you won't have to wait long...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice