Info and comments on Gretsch G6120 Chet Atkins 1955 reissue

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Alfabeta, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Thank you, it gives me some hope, in case (if I buy the guitar) I decide to substitute the DSW original.
    As fas as bridge is concerned, I have read that G6120 DSW Chet Atkins reissue 1955 has not a rocking bridge but a bridge fixed to the top of the guitar. I saw many interesting discussions on this web site regarding fixed vs rocking bridge preferences. I have never played an hollow body; in my complete inexperience I think preferable the fixed bridge, but it is just an idea.

2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Maybe this helps:

j.s.c, BorderRadio and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Damn!
    Now I want that guitar!

Aymara likes this.
  4. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Sounds so sweet! Love it!

Aymara likes this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Welcome to the forum @Alfabeta. You will get a lot of info from the folks here and a lot of opinions, always offered with respect.
    Here’s my 2 cents worth of opinion.
    AE9CE50B-5997-48DD-BA11-7C4024354E05.jpeg
    if you want to approximate Setzer’s sound you probably ought to look at a Setzer signature model..... but in broad terms I agree with everyone’s posts above, humbuckers are going to get you closer than single coils.
    The g6120 on the left is going to get you close enough and you might find a used one for about $1600 plus shipping. The 6120DS in the middle is equipped with the same pickups as the DSW and is going to give you massive twang. If you want twang... you will get it by the bucketload out of this guitar (this is the same sonically as the one you are thinking of buying...but without the “W” which stands for “ western styling”). Huge twang. But not Setzer twang. The one on the right is the RHH, equipped withTVJones pickups and the western looks of the DSW. A beast. You can sound pretty Setzer, but also sound rounded and smooth. There’s SO many iterations of the 6120. If you get one with no issues and get it set up you will have an awesome guitar that is capable of amazing sound. All that to say, unless this DSW is an AMAZING deal, I don’t see the need to buy it and switch out the most expensive components. It’s going to be superb and twangy and perfect for rockabilly, But if you want to get really close to Setzers exact sound you have to be one heck of a player an you should get a different 6120.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Which would be about $436 in 1965 dollars, so it may have actually increased in value.

If one had invested in the stock market S&P 500and reinvested dividends, then, one would expect to be sitting on $81,378

Robbie likes this.
  7. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    I don't know how will be the deal: I have not yet discussed with the owner. By the way anybody knows if it has rocking bridge/seddles?

8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    In the photos of that model I have seen on line shows it with a Bigsby bridge. This is an aluminium compensated bar bridge.

9. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You can see that in above video too.

10. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Sorry I am afraid my question was misleading. I meant if the wood base of the saddle is fixed with glue or screws on the top of the guitar or if it is only kept in place by the pressure of the strings. Yhanks in advance for your reply.

11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    My Panther from 2013 has a pinned bridge base, so this model should have that too. There are small metal pins coming around 2mm out of the guitar top and going into small holes in the underside of the wooden bridge base.

PS: When using .10-.46 string gauge you can expect a pinned bar bridge to have spot on intonation, at least this is the case on my Falcon and Penguin.

PPS: The bridge base is never glued.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  12. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Hy Aymara, thank you very much for your clarification! In my complete ignorance I thought that in most cases the wood bridge base was fixed (glue or screws) to the top of the guitar. The spot on intonation you mentioned happens only after a "heavy" using of the tremolo bar, I suppose. Correct?

13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    No, the intonation is spot on right after restringing. What you have in mind seems to be tuning stability.

If you hold the string under tension while restringing, which means stretching it with one hand while tuning up with the other, the strings settle pretty fast and stay in tune even with heavy Bigsby use. Prolines often have bone nuts and they are nicely cut, so I never encountered the tuning stability issues many Electromatic owners reported in the forum.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  14. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Exactly Aymara, I just meant intonation stability. Thank you indeed for your clarification! I apologize for my misunderstanding. Thanks to all you Gents that explained so many things to me.

15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    No need for any apologees ... it‘s the purpose of this forum to clarify things ;)

16. afire

afire Country Gent

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if this model has a pinned bridge. For a reissue model, I would expect it to be just held in place with pressure.

17. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
  18. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It‘s a 2013 model, right? Weren‘t all Prolines from that year on pinned? My 2013 Panther and my 2014 Falcon have a pinned bridge base.

If it hasn‘t a pinned bridge, it will be floating, so that using violin rosin for the bridge underside makes sense, when using lighter string gauges. This helps avoid bridge base movement, when palm muting.

19. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks a lot Aymara! Actually I have not yet tried the guitar. I think I will do this or next week. Yes it is a 2013. By the way, I couldn't even imagine that there are guitars with the floating saddles base, that you have to pay attention to when for example you are using palm mute. Very interesting and very new for me. Any other peculiar characteristics of Gretsch

20. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Sorry I posted by mistake my message before I finished it.
    I mean, any other peculiar characteristics regarding Gretsch guitars with tremolo and pinned/not pinned saddle?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice