Info and comments on Gretsch G6120 Chet Atkins 1955 reissue

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Alfabeta, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Good morning everybody,
    I just registered myself in this very very interesting site. I am sixty years old and I play mainly acoustic guitar. I love the sound style of Brian Setzer and I have received a proposal to buy a third hand (as far as they told me) Gretsch G6120 DSW Chet Atkins reissue made in Japan in 2013. I would be glad if some expert could give some info about this guitar. Has this model the twang sound? Is a collectible?
    Many thanks in advance to anybody could give me any suggestion, comments.
    Best regards
    Alfabeta

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    When you ask about "collectibility" are you wondering about the potential for increased value? If so, I wouldn't count on it. Even the authentic vintage versions of these guitars are a roll of the dice on value over time (as the market for such guitars goes up and down). The modern reissues were made in quantity, most of the are still out in the world, and usually pretty easy to find for sale. Since value of a collectible is driven by supply vs. demand, the supply is relatively high. The shear amount of reissue 6120 guitars (in all formats and variations) make the demand for any one version low. So buy a guitar that you love to play, love the sound of, and that inspires you to play more. Don't focus on value down the road.

loudnlousy likes this.
  3. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Thank you very much Wayne Gretschzky!! If I buy this guitar ot will be only because I like it. I have just discussed over the phone with owner, I have not yet played it. From a general/construction/ material point of view, is it a good quality Gretsch in your opinion? Maybe somebody knows if it has trustle? The dws are good to produce the twang sounds?
    I apologize for having put questions on matters that most probably are obvious for the majority of the members of this site, but it is the first time I approach an hollow body guitar. Sorry for my inexperience.
    Best regards

4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Welcome to the forum. I agree, buy the guitar because you like it. There is no shortage of twang available with a 6120.

To give you a reference point, a friend of mine has one of the cleanest examples of a 6120 you’ll ever find. Fake F holes and double cut. It is I believe a 1965 and he is the original owner having all the original tags, bill of sale and case. Also has a photo of Chet Atkins autographing it. Less than 2 months ago he had the guitar appraised by Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. They commented on what a clean example of a 6120 it is and valued it somewhere around $3,500.00 USD.

Henry likes this.
  5. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    The DSWs are fantastic instruments - great for that twangy Duane Eddy sound or that early Chet Style stuff. Very responsive, clean sounding pickups and I've never played a bad one yet. If you want that Brian Setzer sound, I wouldn't be looking at a 6120 single coil pickups, I'd look for some something with Filtertrons, or TV Jones. But, play it and, if you like it, buy it. You wont be disappointed.

Rob

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  6. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks a lot Gents, as far as pups are concerned, they could be substituted. By the way, a price idea of TV Jones or Filtertrons including installation? This guitar has , in your opinion, trustle rods or sound points?
    Any other comments maybe from owners of this specific model?
    Best regards

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Imo the DSW is one of the coolest Gretsch's made, i love all that western stuff but some do not. If that guitar is healthy and in good shape it will be a great instrument and an object of beauty.

8. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    I'm not sure about shipping to Italy, but the pick ups are usually around the $170.00 each, + shipping and import Tax. That's without paying somebody to fit them for you. Honestly, If you really want the Setzer sound, I would buy a Gretsch that has filtertrons or TV Jones fitted. DSW's are lovely guitars - I would buy it for what it is, not what it could be... There must be a 6120 you could buy with filtertrons instead that would save you a huge amount of time, effort and money. But, obviously it's completely your choice. TV Jones do make some TV Classic pickups that will fit the Dynasonic style mount.

RomanS likes this.
  9. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    +1 on the above post. There are a lot more 6120s with Filtertrons on the market, than those with Dynasonics, should be easy to find, even in Italy, doesn't make a lot of sense to "ruin" one of those much rarer models with a pickup change...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Gretschmen65 likes this.
  10. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks a lot for your precious suggestions! I will keep you informed!!!
    Best regards.

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Alfabeta!

No trestle on DSW's .

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Alfabeta!
    welcome mat italian.jpg

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The Rev. Horton Heat will give you DSW looks with Filtertron's.

j.s.c and BorderRadio like this.
  14. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Hi everybody, as far as I have understood Dynasonic could be easily substituted with Filtertron because they have the same DeArmond mount, correct? Without any modifications on guitar body?
    Alfa

15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    No, Dynasonics and Filtertrons have different mounts. The Dynasonic casing will be mounted directly to the body. Filtertons have 'feet' that are usually attached to the bracing bars.

Though I have both Filtertron and Dynasonic Gretschs, I have never changed pickups but I think the pickup routs (the holes for the pickups in the body) will be smaller for Dynasonics and so Gretsch HS Filtertons may not fit. As others have noted, check out TV Jones for their versions of the pickup that would fit this mount.

I would play the guitar through an amplifier first and see if you like the sound first before worrying too much about making changes to it.

southpaw185 likes this.
  16. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England

You could fit these TV Jones pickups to the guitar without modifying the body, but again, it's a lot of unnecessary expense to go to. These will be a direct replacement for the DSW pickups.

https://tvjones.com/collections/guitar-pickups/tv-classic+dearmond-size?sort_by=manual

17. afire

afire Country Gent

That is correct, although you have to spring for TV Jones. Not that that's a bad thing. They're a little more expensive, but they're very well regarded. I think the DSW is a good starting point. If you're after twang, this guitar will have it in spades as is. If you want to try something a little different, then you can always swap in the TV Jones FilterTrons in the Dynasonic mounts with no modifications.

18. Alfabeta

Alfabeta Electromatic

Jan 22, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks a lot Rob, and as per suggestion of bluenote23, at firys I have to play it with an amp. The guitar is not in my city, therefore I think that I will try it next week. I will post news.
    Thanks again to everybody and let's talk soon.

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Looking very much forward to hear from your first try.

20. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I just put TV Jones filtertrons DeArmond mount in a guitar that had DeArmond pickups. No change to the body of the guitar whatsoever.
    6648D474-14DF-427F-979D-2225C992DB85.jpeg

Outlaw and rob batz like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice