Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Indented oval jack plates?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by peculiarity, Nov 8, 2017.

1. peculiarity

peculiarity Electromatic

Nov 3, 2017
    US
    Yeah, decided to keep it simple and get a non-indented one. I'm starting to wonder if the square one is better looking now though. I hate choices.... :p

Henry likes this.
  2. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    They come loose and one now has a stripped thread where I kept tightening it up.

Am currently trying to source a 'threadlock' type glue that will hold them in place but something no so strong that they're irreversibly stuck should need to undo them to change the strap.

Had the same problem when I owned a G5435T Pro Jet , so it's not just my current Gretsch.

3. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    Sorry but I prefer the clean look of the stock jack mounting with no plate. Just use a right angled jack and there's no danger of breaking anything.
    I also like the traditional screw-on strap buttons. Also the traditional Grover Stay-Tight tuners.

S Mac

4. peculiarity

peculiarity Electromatic

Nov 3, 2017
    US
    Hey, so I was wondering what happens if the screws for the oval plates are longer than the body's thickness. I feel like it may actually be. In that case, do I just let the screws stick out inside of the body, or do I actually have to seek out screws of right length? Are strap button screws already longer than the body's thickness?

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They can just stick into the body. Shouldn't harm anything.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Add choice of bridge and straplocks.

Double duty---primarily for strength, and functions as a scratch plate.