Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Indented oval jack plates?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by peculiarity, Nov 8, 2017.

1. peculiarity

peculiarity Electromatic

Nov 3, 2017
    US
    Hi all,

I just ordered my first Gretsch, a G5420T. It seems like adding a jack plate is a popular suggestion, so I decided to buy one before I get lazy and not do anything until it's too late. The oval plates look pretty good to me, and the indented ones seem more aesthetically pleasing to me than the "flat" ones.

My question is whether or not the indented plates will fit on the guitar without needing extra work like widening the hole, etc. Has anyone fit an indented oval jack plate on their Gretsch hollowbodies? Is it just much better to go for the non-indented ones?

Thanks for your help!

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You will have to ream the hole to allow enough space for the dent to fit into the body, but it's worth it. It only takes a few seconds with a conical wood rasp on a drill.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I used one of the square ones when I did my 5120, but if I had it to do again I'd go oval. I think they look better. When the time come for my 5622T, I'll go oval.

4. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    I fitted a flat oval plate to my G5422, and it went on with no problem and no modification (other than the two screw holes). Looks great too. You would need to enlarge the hole in the body to fit a recessed plate.

-7.jpg

5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    your adding a jack plate ??? HURRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY !! BUT IT SHOULD HAVE CAME WITH ONE ..... rant over , have a happy day .:D

heinzman and benjwri like this.
  6. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Yes, a decent jack plate (and usable strap button) surely wouldn't bump the purchase price up much at all.

wabash slim and benjwri like this.
  7. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Not sure, but will the recessed plate fit a 90° plug?

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The ones I use have a recess just deep enough for a nut and washer so I'd say yes.

[​IMG]

benjwri likes this.
  9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    On the other hand, a square plate spreads the load out over more wood than an oval one does.

10. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Expect it is about the same...so whichever you prefer.

11. Jackal

Jackal Gretschie

Jan 23, 2016
    MO
    Is the addition of the jack plate more to protect against scratches due to careless insertion or for additional strength/support for the body/jack?

12. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I'm not modifying mine until the need manifests itself.

13. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I think most do it for the additional strength; scratch protection is just a bonus effect.

I say this as one whose Gretsch does not have a jack plate, so consider the source.

Jackal likes this.
  14. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I installed a similar one on my 5420 Dave-B. Everytime I plug in I think how glad I am that I installed it! :- )

[​IMG]

benjwri likes this.
  15. johnny g

johnny g Electromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Put a gold oval jack plate one on mine, about 7 dollars at stewmac. Looks to me the most use parts of the guitar (jack). May not help the strength of that area but it makes me feel like it does. Use a 90 jack.

benjwri likes this.
  16. peculiarity

peculiarity Electromatic

Nov 3, 2017
    US
    I don't have that kind of tool though... Is it a high-risk operation? It sounds simple enough but I feel like any mistake would lead to more and more complications.

17. peculiarity

peculiarity Electromatic

Nov 3, 2017
    US
    What's wrong with the strap buttons?

18. johnny g

johnny g Electromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    If used the right way they are no problem with the strap buttons. unscrew the buttons put on the small part of the strap on the bottom Wide part on top and tighten hand tight. check often.

benjwri likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Just get the non indented one. KISS.

Jackal likes this.
  20. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My 6112TCB-WF White Falcon Junior came with a Gretsch factory-fitted jackplate, the first production Gretsch I have ever seen with that feature. They opted to use a square plate. I wonder who the original part supplier is!

6112TCB-WF 001.JPG 6112TCB-WF 002.JPG