Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Incoming G6128T-DSV

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Johnny Alien, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Electromatic

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    I was looking for a pre-FMIC Duo Jet. I liked the inlays, larger headstock and the tone knob. While searching I found this guy which didn't have the large headstock but it did have the tone knob and I have been intrigued by Dynasonics for awhile. It's listed as a Duo Jet but I "think" it's a G6128T-DSV based on the appointments and year of manufacture. I paid much less than the asking price so I feel I got an OK price. Even if it's not the model I believe it is, I still dig the specs and it looks like the bridge was updated.

{Edited to remove link that didn't work...see image below}

I happen to really dig single coils and I already have a guitar with Filtertrons which is why I got swayed this way. My favorite pickups are big single coils such as Jazzmaster pickups and my absolute favorite pickups are Mosrites. Those are also powerful and non-waxed so they tend to be prone to feedback. Sounds familiar so I think I can deal with it BUT since I like to use a fair amount of gain if for some reason they are a bit problematic are there good alternatives that are still single coils but don't have the same issues?

I have no plans to swap them unless they just won't work with my setup. Like I said..using Mosrite pickups I can't imagine these are worse and I get along with the Mosrite pickups fine.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Ricochet likes this.
  2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Sorry, wrong guitar. Link took me somewhere else I think.
    These are great duo jets and I have and love mine with gretsch dyna's.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. Johnny Alien

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    The link "should" go to a reverb listing for a duo jet guitar.

4. Johnny Alien

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    So the guitar in the linked reverb ad is not a DSV? I assumed it was based on the inlays. I thought that in 2005 the only Jet with the block inlays (not blocks with humps) was the DSV.

5. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Both the 6128s in that link had thumbnail marker. Neither was a DSV

6. Johnny Alien

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    Oh...haha...I am just confused by the internets I guess. I now see that when I log out it just takes you to a search page. I thought I could link the direct page even though the sale ended but it doesn't look like I can. Here is a photo from the reverb listing.

[​IMG]

T simmons and Pete66 like this.
  7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Looks like a DSV to me. The picture, not the link. Very nice Jet.

8. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I have a black, 1999, 6128-1957 (in my avatar), which is basically the same guitar with humpblock inlays...fantastic guitar, I love the Gretsch Dynasonics, although mine might be ceramic pickups (vs Alnico). The Dynasonics have really good, deep bass and nice Gretsch sparkle and treble, excellent for honky-tonk country and rockabilly, and sound very nice with some overdrive, so really quite versatile for blues or rock also. After having this one, I can't ever imagine NOT having a Dynasonic guitar in my stable!

9. Johnny Alien

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    I tend to take all internet talk of uncontrollable pickups with a grain of salt BUT that said it doesn't mean that it can't be true. I just wanted to see if there was a Dynasonic style pickup (like the T'Armonds) that keep the tone but might not have the same issues. I have a long history with noisy single coils so I am not quick to swap unless I have to. Just wanted to see if there were options out there if that was the case. I do play with a decent amount of gain.

I am also pleased to find a model that had a Nitro finish.

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Johnny!

The DSV Jet is a cool geet!

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Congratulations. Nice guitar!

12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice Jet, congrats!

13. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, you'll find out soon enough!

14. Johnny Alien

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    Yep! It will be here tomorrow!

15. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Very nice!! Congrats.

16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Congrats Johnny, nice guitar!

17. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Congratulations! I have a 2011 6128T-DSV and it's the best electric guitar ever made!

The Dynasonics are great pickups but they are definitely sensitive in regards to pole height adjustment and overall pickup height. I bought a TV Jones Dynasonic spacer to raise the bridge pickup closer to the strings. It's made of foam so you can adjust it according to what your ears hear. I adjusted the bridge poles pretty low after I raised the whole pickup. I adjusted them for string balance. For the neck pickup I have the poles adjusted a bit higher to add some clarity.

I also went a step further and changed the pots to CTS 1 meg linear pots with a 1 meg audio pot for the master volume after hearing that Billy Zoom from X did this to his Silver Jet. He mentioned that Duo Jets from the 1950s came stock with 1 meg pots. This brightened up the neck pickup perfectly and allowed all of the bridge pickup's frequencies to come through. They sound even more 3D than they did stock. My favorite setting is with the toggle in the middle position and the neck pickup volume dialed back slightly. I was tempted to try some TV Jones T'Armonds but I always liked the general tone of the stock Gretsch Dynasonics and didn't want to change them even though I wanted more clarity out of my neck pickup. Changing the pots from 500K to 1 meg was a less expensive and successful alternative. I also bought an aluminum Tru-Arc Serpentune bridge for it and it is hands down the best bridge for me for this guitar. It's a compensated bar bridge similar to the Bigsby bridges but more solid in construction and sound.[​IMG]

audept and Wozob like this.
  18. Johnny Alien

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    Awesome! I haven't played it through my amp yet but it came and it a beautiful guitar! The poles on the pickups are jacked way up so it looks like I may need to tweak them a bit. It has a bar bridge on it. Any idea what kind? Gretsch? It does have the extra arm with it too.

[​IMG]

audept and Wozob like this.
  19. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Congretschulations! It probably has a regular Gretsch rocking bar bridge.