In love with a Titanium bridge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by JHowdy, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:15 AM.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    So...I've used a TruArc SerpenTune Aluminum bridge for wounded G for a year or so. I've been very happy with it, the intonation works great, there are no sharp edges for your palm, the smooth finish both looks and feels great. When I first ordered this bridge I ordered another one at the same time: a Titanium SerpenTune for plain G. My original fine idea was to have two Gretsches with different string sets, but since that I've had no opportunity to get me another guitar, for the obvious reason: no monney. But as our band business ceased not so long ago because of lack of a drummer, I got an idea that it would be time to try the Titanium bridge on my sole guitar. So I did, with stunning results...

Compared to the Alu bridge, Titanium is really something different, as I've heard it to be described by somebody. The Aluminum does sound brighter and I liked that, but Titanium sounds so much richer, giving much more of those natural sounding middle range details, along with added harmonics. And warmth, without going overly warm. That's how I would describe it. The sustain is just incredible, too. The guitar rings longer now than it did with the Alu bridge. Even with the same old wounded G strings, that I used at the time of the bridge change. I wanted to compare just the bridge materials first, without changing new strings. Although Titanium is much heavier than Alu, it does not seem to kill the sustain the way my previous SS bridges have done. SS sounded colder at the same time. Of these last two facts I can't say if it's the SS vs Ti material, or make, which was different.

I just love the outcome! Titanium does not sound as 'rockabilly' as Aluminum perhaps, but it gives you more possibilities to change your tone with the pup switches and amp controls. I've had a few two hour playing sessions on my own after that (oh, you poor neighbours) and am still very excited to play even more. Titanium is really something else!

Here are some random pics, with the elementary cork sniffer content, too :). But honestly, I just meant to give a few practical hints for other guitar geeks. When you put something like that under the bigsby arm when loosening the strings, you won't have problems with the loose arm or off jumping bigsby spring.

Scrh_145.jpg

Scrh_146.jpg
    Scrh_147.jpg
    Scrh_148.jpg
    Scrh_149.jpg
    Scrh_150.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:20 AM
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Electromatic

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    And I just ordered a SS Truarc serpentune and now I read this! Cool tips in the bridge. Thanks.

JHowdy likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Titanium is my favorite bridge metal. All my Serpentunes (12 at last count) are either Titanium or Brass. Out of all the metal choices Titanium is the most tonally balanced. The other metals tend to accentuate a particular frequency band: Brass for low-mids (warmth) Aluminium for high mids (twangy) Stainless Steel for higher frequencies (bright). Titanium does not accentuate any particular frequency range but is even across the whole frequency spectrum. It brings the whole spectrum to life.
    Here's the last 6 I bought: 4 Titanium & 2 Brass all 12" radius and plain-G intonation versions.
    Tru-arc SerpenTunes x 6 005.JPG

MrAstro, Lionpotato and JHowdy like this.
  4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    @Lionpotato As I said my SS bridges were of different make, so I can't be sure if it was the material or make. SS was not bad though, just different and you can't really say what's best for you until you've tried more than just one.

Lionpotato likes this.
  5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Well said for the Titanium! I don't recall SS being brighter than Aluminium though. Or maybe it was (in my guitars) brighter but weaker (not so loud) at the same time and that's why I remember Aluminum as the 'loud and bright one'?

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Aluminium tends to accentuate 2-4 kHz, SS is more like 6-8kHz. I have heard SS described as "piano-bright". It also depends on pickup choices. The darker pickups like Powertrons really benefit from Alu or SS bridges.

JHowdy likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Wow... that’s a great tip for changing the bridge with strings! Thanks.

I plan on changing my bridge in the near future but haven’t decided yet which, Tru-Arc or Compton (since both are praised).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    JHowdy likes this.
  8. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Awesome. I’ve been singing praises about titanium since I got my Compton over 8 years ago. Soooooooo amazeballs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHowdy and audept like this.
  9. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Great thread. I learnt a fair bit thanks.

JHowdy likes this.