In Homage to Malcolm Young

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Waxhead, Mar 5, 2019.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

reading more of the thread it occurred to me that I...yup, what a maroon...even misspelled my screw up...

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    See Malcolm wasn't just a fantastic guitar player with unique tone and guitar.
    He was also one of the best creative writers in the history of rock.
    Check out these 10 iconic riffs and he wrote many many more :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

larryr, Bertotti and new6659 like this.
  3. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Ran across that awhile back. Guy does a great job. This is what I referred to when I stated my kind of music and guitar. In fact I saw them in '83 or 4 at Bessies Boathouse, Norfolk VA. Blankin Blank Kickin'

larryr and Waxhead like this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's another bunch of great Malcolm composed riffs.
    What's your fav Malcolm riff ? :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    larryr and Bertotti like this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I think it's pretty well known that Malcolm had his pickup rewound several times to make it hotter. The Powertron is probably closer to it than the classic. They probably went with the classic because nobody will ever gig those guitars..

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's 50 fantastic Malcolm riffs :)

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's another good tribute video :)

8. nickinthewest

nickinthewest Electromatic

Mar 4, 2019
    australia
    when i think back about it now it was ALWAYS the rhythm in ACDC that hooked me in....i never really cared for the lead much. ...and i absolutley love Malcolms sound...the soul reason i bought a gretsch...plus i love double cutaways.....cant wait to get another one...lol...and im telling ya right now...i plugged my streamliner into a peavey bandit...cranked it up with stuff all gain on it.....and low and behold......ACDC sound...no pedals...no crap.....god i love that jangly ballsy gretsch sound....and for those that dont like the broadtrons.....they seem to do the job for me!

larryr, Waxhead and new6659 like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Angus at several times stated Malcolm was really the better lead player.

On early ACDC albums Malcolm would take up solo duties... sometimes for others. Older brother George on bass btw.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Love Malcolm! One of my favorite!

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Malcolm composed 100s of fantastic guitar riffs and Shoot to Thrill is one of my favs.
    Here's Malcolm in his prime live at Donnington Castle :)

larryr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice