In Homage to Malcolm Young

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Waxhead, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I found this great video on youtube and it again reminded me how unappreciated Malcolm Young was on this GT forum and also by Gretsch Corp to a large degree.

For the past 20 yrs he was by far the most famous and loved person to ever play a Gretsch but, except for his signature guitar, Gretsch Corp largely ignored him imo.

There's some big Malcolm fans on GT along with me and also many others here who either didn't like AC/DC or didn't appreciate Malcolm's talent, or his unique Gretsch. Like so many others before it seems his true worth is only fully appreciated after death. This video does the best job of describing it imo - enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lindo, Lionpotato, cowmoo and 4 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Another big Malcolm fan here, also a huge fan of older brother George Young who also had that percussive right-hand rhythm playing method. I have been reading the specs on the 2 Malcom Young Jets on the Gretsch website. It's interesting to me that the Malcolm Young Signature Jet is fitted with a TV Jones Powertron pickup, whilst the Custom Shop Malcolm Young "Salute" Jet is fitted with a TV Jones Classic Filtertron. What's that about?

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I noted that also and thought like you - it's not authentic Malcolm.
    Malcolm used 1 x HS Gretsch pup.

Maybe Gretsch are trying to market it to heavier rock players and thought the Powertron would be more appealing to them. Other than that I can't think of a reason :)

Lionpotato, larryr and audept like this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's another great video interview with Angus.
    But there's lot's of chat about Malcolm and their roots as blues players :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think MY is/was a wonderful rhythm guitarists but perhaps because I'm not a big AC/DC fan, I think he gets just the right amount of attention. He's had more signature guitars from Gretsch than just about everyone other than Atkins and Setzer.

larryr likes this.
  6. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    I was in the wings stage left the night this was recorded. AC DC opened for Mink DeVille. I was blown away and knew they were gonna be huge. I have always loved Malcolm and felt he was the soul of the band. Got to tip a bottle backstage with Bon before the show.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well that's a great time capsule - thanks for posting.
    Who were Mink de Ville - never heard of em :)

larryr likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love ACDC! Plenty of appreciation for Malcolm on this forum. Outside not so much, but who cares.

Mink Deville is a great rootsy rock band.

One of our GT members is so old he used to be in a band with Bon Scott. ;-p

larryr and Waxhead like this.
  9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Mink de Ville's Coup de Grace possibly is the best R&B / soul / doo-wop album of the 80s. The fact that it comes from a white boy fascinated by gypsy mythology and unfortunately addicted to heroin does not change that fact.
    In case your statement is not a joke, you should give it a try. They had quite some success or reputation in Europe, more than in the US, but I really don't know if they even kinda existed in the Australian landscape.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    loudnlousy, larryr and Ricochet like this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Sorry to derail thread.....Spanish Stroll by Mink DeVille is one of the greatest songs ever. That bit in the spoken word breakdown where he starts "Ey Rosita.....", I have to do that in my head first every time I try to speak Spanish in order to get the accent right.

Back on track.....Malcolm is totally the man. Like so many great players, his genius lies in the notes he doesn't play, rather than the ones he does.

11. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

That's pretty cool that they played at the Agora!

larryr likes this.
  12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Hey Bud I’m a huge AC/DC fan, at the top of my list for my kind of music and guitar playing, and great admirer of the Malcom Brothers but never felt Malcolm’s been dished. Perhaps I just don’t get out enough? Not trying to argue but hate to see you type a bit bummed when perhaps you shouldn’t be?

A lot of our friends here are even more seasoned than I and grew up on Chet Atkins. And I believe Henry is on to something regarding signatures and models from famous artists? I’ve got a pretty sweet double cut myself and it’s Malcolm I think of when I play it.

larryr likes this.
  13. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    The Valentine's?

I think the fact that Gretsch continues to refine and issue Malcolm guitars is a testament to his impact and influence on the world. The guitar manufacturing world is rife with signature guitars that have come and gone. Malcolm continues, and is copied by other companies as well.

audept and Ricochet like this.
  14. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    And in paying homage to Malcolm, I was asked by my friend to participate in a flash mob for an engagement party. The groom-to-be is the biggest Malcolm Young fan I know, so his fiance arranged this flash mob to announce their engagement. I was honored to be asked to be a part of it and did my very best to channel my inner Malcolm. Jump straight to the 5:07 mark if you want to get right to the AC DC content. And if you hang in long enough there is quite a nice surprise segment from Gary Sinise at the end. Malcolm's benchmark tone ranks right up there with other artists whose tone is instantly identifiable. That is a remarkable achievement.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Malcolm still rules. This man was like the heartbeat of AC/DC. He had the deepest rhythm-pockets in rock.

new6659, Waxhead and larryr like this.
  16. Scooter127

Scooter127 Electromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Gary Sinise is a great guy. I love what he does for veterans.

larryr likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes!

larryr likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Best engagement party ever - great work - thanks for posting :)

larryr likes this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    And before the Valentines there was The Spektors.....

Ricochet, Waxhead and larryr like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The evolution of Malcolm - a Gretsch in every pic :)

larryr, Lionpotato and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice