In a Slump

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Setzerhotrod, Jul 20, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I actually should be thankful that our church wiring is so hash that our IEMs are unworkable.

It makes it so much easier for the singers to sing with in-ears but I detest playing with them. The feel of playing music seems to disappear and I have a condition which is really irritated by headphones of any type.

Eventually, things will get fixed and we’ll be back to the in-ears but I’m enjoying the last months of being a wild and free range guitar player.

2. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I get in a slump sometimes when I haven't made much progress in getting better for a while- I'm a learner, not a performing musician. One thing that works for me to break the negative spell is to change the tuning on my guitar- and change guitars too. So, if I'm stalled out in standard tuning I'll swith to open G, for example, and try to learn to play songs with a flat pick that I've learned in a fingerpicking style. Different tunings elicit different voicings and spark creativity.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You have a slump nearly every second week? :eek:

4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    As others have said, I think a slump is pretty normal. I saw an interview a while back with Larry Carlton and I believe he mentioned each year he leaves his guitars alone for a month. It apparently helps maintain his interest level. Something like that anyhow.

I’m going through the same thing myself now so understand your feelings, I think. This one seems to have more legs than other times when I’ve felt like this. I’ve flushed my Band of 25 years, one show left and seriously entertained selling off a large portion of my gear.

In my case I believe it’s the Business side of Music that has left me cold so will keep playing when the occasion arises and see how that works out.

I hope you fight this feeling you have and keep playing. It’s a gift to be able to play an instrument and I think we all should reflect on that from time to time.

Sincere best wishes.

new6659 and Armygirl like this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    My limited skill set keeps me looking for a break-out moment. Trying to get better and trying different guitars, music, amps, etc. keeps be from getting bored. If you think you know it all then it is time to roll up the cords and put them away. Guitar playing is not easy if it was more folks would be doing it.

lp_bruce and Armygirl like this.
  6. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland

I listened to this while gardening today. Very inspiring!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    lp_bruce likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I usually just play a different instrument for a while, Ukulele, Mandolin,Steel....i make my rounds.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    thats me, except for the 35 years parts

Armygirl and Ricochet like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I switch between instruments every 6-18 months but over the last month I haven’t really played anything. Just no drive lately. Summer time blues? Heat humidity summer is a heavier work load for me all saps my desire. I find myself focusing on books or movies more in my down time just to unwind. Fall is on its way and then my real energy will come back! Kind of backwards from most people I think.

Setzerhotrod likes this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve been in a playing slump of late, myself. I’m not sure why, but the idea of playing just hasn’t appealed to me of late.

We are in the most confining part of the year, here in SE Arizona. I live at 4,200’ elevation and it was 108 at my house today. I shudder to think of what it must have been like in some of the hotter micro-climates nearby. During the truly hot weather, the prudent stay out of the sun and only venture out for essentials. None of this directly affects guitar playing, but I think that inactivity breeds inactivity.

audept likes this.
  11. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I’m leaving for Casa Grande in the morning. Going to be there for a couple of weeks. Coming from 65 ish degrees. Looks like it’s going to be around 105 in AZ. I’m up for the challenge! Probably going to get back in the rotation at church when I come back. Hope the inspiration hits once the darkness sets in (Alaska winters).

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yep, it’s been hot this year. My house is abundantly air conditioned, but I still need a ceiling fan to be comfortable when it’s this hot and sticky.

There’s been a lot happening in my life, and I’m sure that’s part of it. When I do feel like playing. It doesn’t come out well. This too shall pass.

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice