In a Slump

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Setzerhotrod, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Just haven’t been feeling it lately. Put the guitar down for a couple months (picked it up a couple of times, but.... meh). For the last year or so I’ve been using a Kemper since where I play (church) does the “silent stage” with in ear monitors thing. While the Kemper sounds fantastic and the sound man loves the control, I started losing my passion for playing . I pretty much have topped out the amount of effort I feel like putting into raising the level of my ability..... sounds a little like depression, right?
    Yesterday I plugged into my Egnater Rebel 30 when no one was home and cranked it as loud as it would go. The result: there may be hope, yet. Feeling the sound was a little bit exhilarating!

Outlaw, cowmoo, Bertotti and 9 others like this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    That happened to me about 18 months ago. I had just been diagnosed with MS and hadn't been able to play for 6 months due to paralysis in my left hand and I was too scared to get back into it, in case I couldn't play anything and had forgotten loads. It was hard and my hand hurt the same as when I first learned barre chords and I had all sorts of pain in my fingertips but I treated myself to a lovely, Fairlane Blue Jet to get me going and that was that. I think more gear might be the answer! If not, loud stuff! Hope you get your mojo back buddy...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Suffering from "Guitar ? Stuck-I-Tous"
    Best medicine is what you did yesterday. Bring down the house when you're alone. Let your music inhibitions run wild. Sometimes you just gotta let lose.

Andrew Griffin and benjwri like this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Analog man in a digital world.

But watching Tommy Emmanuel or somebody kick the guitars backside on the YouTube is often enough to get me to the woodshed.

5. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, my band has been in a slump. Fortunately the duo is doing great. But we finally rehearsed for some upcoming gigs last night:
    -Pulled the #1 Strat out and the strings were really ugly, corroded in a few spots and sticky. Had to just clean them up a bit as no time. All night they were rattling some and some minor fret out. Need to do a re-setup, check the neck relief etc.
    -The next thing was I got the pedalboard out of the soft case and there's a big spider nest in there! Never did find the spider.

Stuff has been sitting around for over a month...

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’ve been there. After my old band broke up in 2014, I stopped playing for almost exactly 2 years. I wasn’t sad about it, I just had no interest in making music.
    When I’m not in a band I don’t bother playing at all. I don’t tinker with gear, I don’t care about guitars, I just don’t don’t don’t.
    In early 2016 an acquaintance, whom I barely knew that liked my old band, messaged me out of blue and asked if I’d wanna jam sometime. It was invigorating to play again! It inspired me to write new songs and resurrect old songs I had written but did nothing with.
    We’ve been writing, gigging, and recording regularly ever since.
    It’s awesome!

Inspiration ebbs and flows. Eventually the tide comes back in, if you’re open to receive it!

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In a P&S situation, you really don't have the same freedom of expression that you'd have in a regular band. No doubt that you'd feel stifled and regimented. That would take all of the passion out of it for me as well. It'd be like working on an assembly line. Even tho it's all for the Glory of God, it just takes the joy out of it.

Charlie westside likes this.
  8. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I think it's pretty natural for our interest in making/writing/playing music to ebb and flow, particularly when it's not our full-time gig. I went through a period about 15-20 years ago where I was gigging less and started to feel like I wasting my time and not learning anything new. But I shook out of it and haven't really felt that way in the years since. I think I've mostly avoided those dips because I play with a lot of different people/bands and I play different styles and genres.

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yeah, I’d say the ups n downs are pretty normal. The iem thing is a bitter pill to swallow sometimes, no doubt about that. I do miss the days of cranked amps and air moving........but I DON’T miss the ringing ears after a gig. Luckily maybe.........I play at a pretty large church with a huge PA and several thousand seat sanctuary, so the foh volumes help me “feel” it. I actually keep my iem volume very low.......so low, actually, that I can hear/feel some of the room PA.......which kinda tricks my body into feeling some of the old school physicality of a cranked up amp...........but yeah. I get it.

You know what I do when I feel a little slump coming on? I get a new guitar. :)

GreTschocaster, Merc, audept and 7 others like this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This!:)

GreTschocaster, benjwri and larryb like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    New gear needed for sure! Even a pedal.......

Merc and benjwri like this.
  12. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Digital is not the same as analog. Have both and no comparison for feel and liveliness. I’m not on silent stages yet and I hope that never happens. I will probably quit at that point and focus on classical guitar and acoustic adventures. At church I’m using an Airline (mid 60’s) small amp on stage with a sound barrier behind it facing me. 6x4 rectifier tube so it breaks up early at low volume. If they go silent I go AWOL. Although I’ve always wanted to try a 100 watt Marshall into an iso cab cranked. I might stay then.

LongJohn likes this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed...nothing better than new and shiny to remedy a slump...:D

...but when I dont have the cash for something new, I grab my Tele, crank the amp and play along to my blues mix on spotify

14. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    This has happened to me in the past. But now-a-days I don't LET it happen. I pick the guitar up every day...even if just for a few minutes...

15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since everybody in my band has a lot of sideprojects going (except me), there where only a few occasions for playing live this year. No gigs means very vew rehearsals.
    My situation at work and at home is very tensed (to say the least) at this point in my life. So somehow there was zero motivation and time for me to woodshed and sharpen my skills.
    The only thing that is drawing me to my rehearsal space without the boys is toying with my equipment, which I do enjoy.
    In the end you got to have a goal that keeps you going. Sadly this is missing right now.
    But as I experienced a few times, new projects will find me and my calouses will grow again.

16. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Ours is about a 1500 seat church, so the room is sizable. We used to do floor wedges which has a more lively feel AND you get the FOH vibe. I think when we went with in ear monitors is when things started getting a little weird. Even though they are ported it’s really hard to hear anything but what the monitor guy is giving you. Sometimes the monitor mix is a little iffy and I’m on the opposite side of the stage as him, so flagging him down for adjustments mid set is distracting. Pulling one out is always an option, but.....

As far as getting a new guitar for slump relief goes, how many slumps have you been throu????, haha

17. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    When it happens to me I watch a couple of killer guitar concert videos and then I'm turned on again.

18. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    yeah, feeling slumpy. good word. I'm pretty isolated where I live so travel is always involved in any musical thing. but I'm quite over travelling. Pretty much have given up on jam nights.. too tedious. Don't have a band or practice buddy. I use the internet mostly. yeah, it's probably limited my playing progress.
    I come here to read advice on stuff I'll never see or use (so many knowledgeable folks) and to get educated. I enjoy the humourous aspect of contributors, things like that. Sometimes I see folks posting guitar stuff and I just go Meh. wonder if I'm jaded. Is there hope yet? thanks for being here guys and gals.

19. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Sounds like your current gig isn't doing it for you anymore. Time for a change?

20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not sure this is any help, at all. I've been in a slump for 35 years. It's all about the few times I pick up a guitar, and space and time bending for just a few minutes.
    The rest of the time I'm not impressing anyone(story of my life). But that's the great thing, I don't need to. I enjoy the freedom to walk away any time I want(or feel I need to), and come back in. And so can you.
    Worth something, maybe an awful lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice