Image Hosting

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by O Riley, Dec 23, 2019.

1. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Who are you guys using?
    I tried the search..but?
    Thanks.

2. spellcaster

spellcaster Electromatic

I used Photobucket for several years until they suddenly demanded big money and broke everyone's links into the forums.

I switched to VGY.....It's free, unlimited, linkable, good to deal with.

https://vgy.me/

3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Imgur. Totally free without bandwidth issues. Used photobucket forever until they went to the “mafia extortion” business model.

emitex, audept and spellcaster like this.
  4. Monty_piglit

Monty_piglit Gretschie

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    I just use good old OneDrive :)

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well... I had to change 3 times of image hoster... Or because it collaped, of it was ridden by bugs and malwares (that explain why much of my older pics are not viewable anymore :mad:).

OK. I decided to go for the subscription offered by casimages.com, a secured professional French image hosting provider that an industrial pro photograph friend uses with success for years, and recommended me.

I start with their free offer for testing, and then went for their smallest 10Go storage option, where you can upload pics, files, music, videos. The cost is 19.90 Euros a year. Not a drama. No more issues, viruses, bugs, ads...

But it's me, OK :D

6. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Imgur for me as well ... they make it pretty easy

emitex likes this.
  7. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Imgur. Free no hassles.

8. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Imgur. It's been really good. I hated Photobucket.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Aye,Photobucket owns my pics now,cause i ain't paying to get them back,they can keep them,they still insist i have over 250 pics,even though i deleted over 300 of them to get it under 250!:mad:

May try Imgur some time,but i have a mistrust in these hosting sites now.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You can download them all from Photobucket and then reload them to the site of your choice. They don't make it easy but it can be done.

JC higgy likes this.
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    As a Mac user, PB eventually became unusable. Incredibly slow and then they blocked sharing unless you paid.

I'm on SmugMug now and happy.

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, that's when they lost me too.

13. spellcaster

spellcaster Electromatic

Four months ago, I reluctantly started paying a subscription to Photobucket, only because I wanted to recover my old pictures and transfer them to VGY. Photobucket kept claiming that I could still access my old pictures for download, but ever since they started this "Beta Photobucket" BS, I couldn't get anything to work. So, I paid them money, but recently, when I go to the site, my photos are gone, replaced by a message saying "This image has been moved or deleted". It took days to find a way to even contact Photobucket Support (emails kept bouncing back as undeliverable), but when I finally did, they claimed that a major power outage at the site where the pictures are stored had caused major grief. I'm one of 165 of their customers that still hasn't got access, and I'm overwhelmed by the thought that I might have lost years of irreplaceable pictures. Photobucket is one of the worst sites I've ever dealt with on the internet.

Groutsch and audept like this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Similar thing happened to me, I gave up on them. Luckily I also had my pics stored on my computer hard drive, so I haven't lost them.

15. spellcaster

spellcaster Electromatic

I never expected things to get this bad, but I'm really unhappy and don't seem to be able to get their attention. I sent Photobucket Support an email this afternoon advising them that if I don't get some acknowledgement of my problem and a resolution, I'm going to start proceedings through the Denver Better Business Bureau. Regardless of how they deal with this issue, a complaint with BBB will give them a stain on the reputation that time won't erase, so I expect to be taken more seriously from this point forward. For a company that drove most of their customers away with the imposition of those unreasonable monthly subscriptions, you'd expect they'd be more anxious to keep people happy. Right now, that's not happening.

audept likes this.
  16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I use the French servimg.com which is not very powerful but easy enough for me.
    All photos in my posts here on GT are directly uploaded on GT via the "upload a file" feature. BTW I wonder if there is a limit size.

17. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    After years on Photobucket, I kicked the 'bucket' too after their mess, and went with Imgur. No complaints with their service. I never heard of VGY before, but might look into them as well since they also accept .mp4 videos.

18. spellcaster

spellcaster Electromatic

My "latrine-o-gram" to Photobucket obviously got through to them. I had a very nice email from them this morning, explaining that they're still trying to sort out the mess the power outage caused and assuring me that my pictures will be recoverable. They're asking me to be patient for a few more days before taking action.

Oh yeah....and there was also a notice from my bank that Photobucket had withdrawn my January payment......

19. spellcaster

spellcaster Electromatic

It's almost a month later, and as of today, Photobucket has restored about 90% of my photos, but there's still about 10% missing.
    I requested a one-month refund, but they haven't responded yet.

Do yourself a favour.....Don't ever deal with Photobucket.

20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    My ISP provides some personal space on their servers, and I sometimes use that to host images.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice