I'm Here for the Blues Jam. Can I Get Up?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Dec 5, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    [​IMG]

loudnlousy, audept, T Bone and 7 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ...... and ya wanna know why I'm not fond of the blues

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  3. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Oh, I love the blues - just not when played by old white guys with hair down to their butts in sleazy dives. There’s the blues, and then there’s “SRV was the best guitarist in the history of the world, man!” blues.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    reverb11, oneeyedog and drmilktruck like this.
  4. I could have used that sign a few years back when i ran a Thursday night blues jam. Most guitarist, and they made up the majority, had their own guitars. It was the ones that wouldn’t use the back line that i dragged in and set up. Usually decent amps. I took my 59 bassman reissue, some times there were smaller deluxe reverbs, but they would still drag in there stack, separate head and cabs, plus a pedal board that would make The Edge say “you have too many pedals”, just to play two or three songs. Then there’s the band that shows up, with all there own gear, drum kits included, asking if they can play a set. I say you get two or three songs depending on how the night goes, and remind them its a blues jam, and they still play non blues, for what seems like an eternity, after taking 20 minutes to set up, then promptly leave the club without buying a thing. Don’t get me started on bass players. It’s always “ this doesn’t sound like my amp”, I tell them its waiting for them at home, and it misses them and they should go to it. Fortunately , most drummers that showed up knew the deal. Not too many showboats. It never bothered me if someone got up and hadn’t played for long, only knew a few tunes to licks. That’s why I held the jam. Give them a chance to sharpen up. What did bother me was the folks that would say things about them while they were playing, or saying they dont want to get up with someone that will make them look bad. In those cases, I would get up with them, play some song that had a bazillion chord changes, in a flat key. Eat them apples Stevie!

5. tdtom

tdtom Electromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    if I can't do Jam, does that mean I'm toast?

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That’s why there are no concho hats allowed! Too obvious.

MartyT and Alberta_Slim like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Open mic nights, blues jams, and pickup sessions are often painful ordeals. Often has a minimal PA with a self proclaimed "expert" behind it, and far too many prima donnas wanting to show off their limited chops. Amateur hour at it's best.

Still light years better than karaoke.

SWoody, Alberta_Slim and drmilktruck like this.
  8. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    This is the blues after all:

The blues probably informs the majority of the stuff I listen to one way or another, but loads of players and listeners think it's all about just one narrow treatment of the blues, and that's a shame because now it's so overexposed.

BorderRadio and drmilktruck like this.
  9. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Is it ok that I solo for, like 25 minutes?!

NO

Alberta_Slim, dak55 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Blues is like any other kind if music. Some amazing, some trash. My music teacher in school used to say “there is no bad music, just bad musicians”. I’ve realized over the years the “bad musicians” doesn’t mean untalented. Cuz I know of many many technically gifted musicians that when i hear them, I wanna hurl.
    It should be changed to “no bad music, just CLUELESS musicians.”

reverb11 and Alberta_Slim like this.
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My girlfriend does a killer version of Mustang Sally, can she sing?

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    A good blues jam is a fun thing to watch, or play in. Not surprisingly, in L.A., there are a lot of them. I haven't been to them all, but I've met some great people at some, and heard some great players, too. I hear there are some not-so-good ones, but I've managed to miss those so far. And I'm an old white guy, but apparently not enough hair. Very apparently.

drmilktruck and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    First of all, you gotta be near Chicago.

Second, if you own a house, car, and computer, you really don't know the Blues. You gotta suffer some, son.

drmilktruck and Alberta_Slim like this.
  14. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    My band used to run a blues jam back in the 90's. I'm really glad that's over with. I don't miss it one bit. Playing licks over I-IV-V changes is NOT the blues...........

To me, the "real" blues is just about gone. There are still some vestiges in parts of the South. But the real guys are pretty much gone.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    drmilktruck likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I used to go alot, i had fun too but this is my music and im very deep into it and well self educated so the songs i play are not the usual songs "we're gonna play one from '52 by the great Roosevelt Sykes".....needless to say, every one got turned into a 12 bar and i just hadda try to sing along and adapt. Mostly they turn into the video above. I haven't been to one in years. Not to mention there was alot of drinking and driving in those days so no thanks, i'd rather hang in my music room at home and drink beer, listen to records and play with my gear;)

Alberta_Slim and nickurso like this.
  16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The advantage I have is that piano/organ players aren't too common. I can usually fit in with most everyone.

Tele295 likes this.
  17. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I haven’t gone to a blues game since the early 80’s. I do play blues professionally with my band and have since the mid to late 80’s when I started working as a sideman in Chicago. Back when I was doing it the Kingston Mines in Chicago has a Monday night blues jam that wasn’t an amateur night. They had a house band of all the top local working guys and they would bring people up to sit in with them so it was more of a mentoring program. Unfortunately that’s gone now

18. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Last one I was at a bar just round the corner from my house oh, at least twenty years ago. I must admit I enjoyed it but it was a Monday night and there were never more than a handful of us just mucking about making up riffs. Mainly it was me on lead, another guy on rhythm and a really really good local sort of Paul DeLay style harmonica player accompanying anyone who wanted to do a number, all styles catered for it was a fun setup but it killed me because we would finish after midnight and I had to be up at 5am to get to my day job. Other ones I tried just turned me off as they were really 'talent nights' with everyone wanting to get up and do their favourite number - Usually that awful 'Wonderwall' by Oasis.

Most of them seemed to turn into a "How high can you water the wall" contest if you catch my drift.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I regularly laugh my a** off when I see open-mics in very small venues packed with five guitarists and three of them are dragging their halfstacks on stage. Between them a lonely traverse-flutist.:confused:

...and that is said by a triple-fullstack player at heart.:p