I'm a new Tennesse Rose owner with question

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by blumjay, Nov 7, 2010.

1. blumjay

blumjay Electromatic

Nov 7, 2010
    Philly
    what's the difference between a Tennessee Rose and a Tennessean. Did the former replace the latter? Sorry if it's in the FAQ, I couldn't find a simple explanation.
    Thanks
    Jay

2. Jay it's timely you should ask...btw, Howdy.

I believe the Tennessee Rose is the modern day reissue of the Tennessean, but I've yet to finish my own research.

I think there are currently 3 different models of the Tennessee Rose, and that the differences are actually rather dramatic, from open to simulated f-holes, body depth and pickup type.

Here's a link to GreTsch Guitars. Check out the products listing.

Whether the Tennessean was avail with the above differences, I've yet to learn. Some quick googling should clear this up.

I just so happen to have bought my Son a 6116-62HT several months ago.

2 days ago I also just happen to have bought, but have yet to receive, a vintage 1964 Tennessean. It looks to me to be identical, w/exception of the tuning machines, to my Sons Rose.

Kiinda busy at the moment, how about you researching the Tennesseans and filling me in bu the time I can get back here.

Pics in my album, btw.

http://gretschguitars.com

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. duplicate post, sorry

4. blumjay

blumjay Electromatic

Nov 7, 2010
    Philly
    thanks....it looks like the Tennessean and the Tennessee Rose never existed at the same time afaik. Looks like the Rose replaced it.

5. just got home and popped in quick to show you these...I already knew what you just posted...teach me some more...sorry, gotta run for now

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDh2sYQRpo"]YouTube - Herman's Hermits - I'm Into Something Good (1965)_HQ[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdPQp6Jcdk"]YouTube - The Animals - House of the Rising Sun (1964) High Definition [HD][/ame]

6. Shoot Jay I'm sorry, meant to congratulate you and ask which Rose you have?

Later,

Dave

7. blumjay

blumjay Electromatic

Nov 7, 2010
    Philly
    Hey Dave
    It's a 2003 Gretsch 6119-1962HT. from ebay. Seller has many sales at 100% rating. I put the first bid on it and won for $1200....buy it now price was $1500, i took a chance that no one else was looking at it :)
    Can't wait to get it!!!

8. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Synchromatic

Jan 6, 2010
    Austin
    @Jay

As a fellow owner of a 6119-1962HT, I just wanna say welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy yours as much as Dafreeze and I enjoy ours. I mean, his son's. I mean, he enjoys his son's. I mean...

We like the guitar!

:D

All kidding aside its just a well made guitar with a tone not quite like a 6120 at all, but very Gretsch.

9. Ha!

Jay, check out our Bud Kuro with his Rose and a cup of coffee, ~ 2/3 the way down the page.

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/g...estion-tennessee-rose-f-holes.html#post199861

Kuro, finally got a chance to tell Josh (my Son...he's off at college and didn't come home for the weekend) about the '64 Tenne and show him the pics and he went nuts.

And Jay, big congratulations, you practically stole it! Lookin' forward to seeing her.

10. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Welcome aboard Jay :)

11. blumjay

blumjay Electromatic

Nov 7, 2010
    Philly
    thanks ....glad to be a gretsch owner. I had originally wanted a green anny, after I saw McCartney's bandmember use one. But for the price I'm all to happy to be getting this TR. BTW, any recommendations on strings?

12. blumjay

blumjay Electromatic

Nov 7, 2010
    Philly
  13. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    As far as I understand it, the Tennessean and Country Gentleman names were on the Chet Atkins signature guitars. Chet jumped to Gibson when Gretsch/Baldwin went belly up. Chet got the rights to the Country Gentleman name somehow, and Gibson got the rights to the Tennessean name.

There's a wide variety of Tennessean/Tennessee Rose configurations over the years. Pretty hard to identify which replaced which, with many configurations being made simultaneously.

The Tennessee Rose 6119-1962 is a reproduction of the 1962-72(roughly) Tennesseans. The videos I've seen make me think it sounds quite like my '66 Tennessean.

I'm eager to hear dafreeze's report!

Welcome Jay!

Lee

14. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    Far as I can tell, the 6119, no extension, with open bound f-holes, is simply a 6120 with a dark red stain. My preference for it over the 6120 is primarily motivated by love of that particular color. But if you compare specs, it's a basic 6120. And I love it.

15. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    ...though I wish they did a Country Club in this color and it would be nice if there were a version with Dynasonics. Love the new smoke grey club with Dynas, like that which Pigat plays. On the other hand, I prefer an ebony board with the minimalist "neo-classic" inlays.

16. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
  17. MaBerY

MaBerY Gretschie

I have a 1992 6119 Tennessee Rose and it has a 25.5" scale.
    I compared it to a 6120 back then which had a 24.5" scale

I liked the longer scale , acoustic resonance and the cherry red/nickle look better than the gold/orange 6120 then so I ended up buying the 6119.

18. HHudson

HHudson Synchromatic

Jan 10, 2010
    'Yurp, pro tempore Germany
    Congratulations on the new Rose, the Roses are a pretty diverse family, with depending on the type, radically different features, pickups, dimensions and body construction. I have the briefly produced oddball g6119sp, with PT's in it (grew weary of searching for an affordable Power Tenny), it's my heavier (for me at least) Rock ax to go to ;). May your HT bring you many years of enjoyment and inspiration!
    cu
    Henry

19. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    So do I. It's a very nice guitar.

Lee

20. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice