Join Gretsch-Talk Today

If you ever want a JTM45 or a JCM800 in a stomp box...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Lizardkinged, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Friedman pedals are the way to go. I have two of them and between the Dirty Shirly OD (JTM45) and the Black Eye OD (JCM800) I'm pretty set on marshall tones outside of a TSL60 combo I might want one day...

Anyway. I got the BE-OD last year and couldn't be happier. When I want a Marshall Channel on my fender-amps, it's right there. The touch sensitive and control/dynamics are all there. Great pedal. The controls are very amp-like and responsive to adjustment.

The Dirty Shirly is no different! Just wreaks of classic Marshall crunch and growl where the BE-OD has that Modern grind and push and just keeps on going.

2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm loving my BE-OD. My friend bought the Dirty Shirley and loves it also.

3. JHall55

JHall55 Synchromatic

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Love my BE-OD as well...Dirty Shirley is high on my "to buy" list.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Easier to carry than a full stack, too.

5. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    My Supro loves the DS, and sounds good with the BEOD but the amps natural mids hump comes through.
    My 68'CDR loves them both. as well as the wampler tumnus and clarskdale OD. The mids knob on the DS will help it carry across more amp models.

The 65' PRRI FRS with 12" Crex is really a toss up. Does both great, but the low mids growl of the Crex leans towards the DS by a hair.

The Supersonic 22 is a toss up depending on which cab I plug into it. And I'm not going to bother with my Orange Dark Terror cause... well that's it's own thing.

Pdnlegs likes this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I REALLY like Friedman stuff. When I was in LA a while back, I had a chance to play a Dirty Shirley amp they had custom built for Joe Bonammassa before he even got to play it. It sounded INCREDIBLE. Juicy crazy harmonic overtones dripping all over the place man. It was truly rock n roll heaven. I’ve never forgotten that sound. I’d like to try one of the DS pedals.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've not seen or heard those Friedman pedals and have no doubts they are great :)

But as a former JCM800 owner (and since moving to Mesa Boogie amps) my marshall tones have come from MI Audio Super Crunchbox pedals V1 and now the new V2.
    Best and most versatile marshall in a box pedals I've tried.

This baby here does the full range of vintage Marshall Plexi, JTM, JCM from light OD to high gain plus add on Van Halen brown sound and fuzz tones.
    Incredibly versatile, true bypass, low noise, cheap and totally nails almost any marshall tone.
    http://miaudio.com/effects/super-crunch-box-distortion-v-2/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Nice. I like having the purpose intent built, individual stomps which behave more like amplifiers than any other pedal I've used. Most realistic attack and picking dynamic I've ever heard in a pedal. Ever. On top of it all it's just easier to have two gain stages set how I like so if I only have to fiddle with my tone when I wanna fiddle with my tone.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Sweetwater had them super cheap all the last 2 weeks. I had to get one! If you can stand a liverpool for as long as you did and actually liked it... well... You won't be disappointed.

I mean the liverpool sounds realistic, or convincingly vox, but it doesn't have that drippy touch sensitivity. I know these pedals don't compare to the actual amps attack/sensitivity by any means, but it's a game changer in my opinion.

Dirt pedals are good again. For a while there I just bought a new amp whenever I wanted another gain-stage... LOL

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  11. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    To be completely honest, both of PT's demos for both the DS and the BEOD couldn't even stack up to how good they sound in person. I honestly got my BEOD as a gift so I had nothing to lose and just couldn't believe it, and had been waiting for the DS but was so busy w/ golf season this year I didn't even realize it dropped.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah agree - ALL youtube videos sound total lo-fi crap to me :)

13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Dirty Shirley is on the way. Got a great Xmas deal at 21% discount!