Join Gretsch-TalkToday

Ibanez TS 808 original

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by will, Feb 16, 2012.

1. will

will Electromatic

Anybody who uses this pedal on a Filtertron Gretsch?
    How was/is the experience?

Reason why i ask this is the huge price they ask for this pedal, up to € 450, people are crazy these days :eek:

2. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

I use clones, and deviations of the pedal. BBE Green Screamer, Boss SD-1 (modded), Wampler Pinnacle 2 and a few others.

I'm not really a fan. I get better results with my Joyo OCD clone, and my Doomidrive. I'll probably get a Ubangi Stomp at some point. I want grind when I dig in, but sparly cleans when I pick lightly.

I get the best results with my Billy Brain, and a clean boost. Nice crunchy overdrive.

Marlin

3. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Had a TS10 that I sold for tuppence in the 90s.
    Never looked back.

Here's in interesting comparison of the TS10, TS9 and TS808.
    As far as distorted sound goes, I think I prefer the TS9 in this demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKS_vmKJK0Y

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. definegravity

definegravity Electromatic

this is my 2 cents, I use a ts9dx which many ppl say is the same chip as the 808, I like it, warm, vintage, goes well with my NYII and my strat with single coils. it sounded nice with the stock mini hums in my pro jet oso after I changed to NYIIs they sound different, more bite and brighter but still I love it, might wanna try an OCD too or a timmy

6. will

will Electromatic

Thanks Guys!

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

will, a tubescreamer is a wonderful tool although used with a gretsch, kinda sounds clamped as the bass is in the clipping circuit. There are soooo many options these days on getting a variant of the original TS808, so unless you are looking for a trophy box there is no reason to spend that kind of dough. You can get a reissue TS-9 for $50 and mod that thing a million ways till next tuesday to give you what you want for your guitar. This very pedal along with a vox wah gave me my start in pedal building..

I will say I stopped bothering the modding of tubescreamers though when the TIM pedal came out. PAul Cochrane redesigned the 808 platform and the result is perfection
    for a gretsch. A close second and more true to the original 808 sound is the Barber electronics pedals like the Tone Pump and the Burn Unit. Great control over low and high mids with internal controls for bass and treble. $150-`80 bucks and you'll have something waaaay more versatile.

8. will

will Electromatic

Hey TV,

thanks for the very useful tips! I know now what i'm (not) gonna do :)

Grtz Will